Esteemed Contributor

Any ideas for hanging decor on a large wrap around porch?

I have 4 hooks on the front overhang where I've hung windsocks and live plants. I also have tubular wind chimes on two side hooks.

The plants didn't work out as they were very messy and didn't stay lush and full no matter how much attention I gave them.

Obviously, the windsocks were no maintenance.

I could use silk plants in baskets, but I'm looking for something different.

Any thoughts?

Honored Contributor

I have great luck with hanging ferns. They stay lush all summer and don't require a lot of care other than watering.

I put flowers in pots and planters.

Honored Contributor
In my experience the hanging pots that you get already made up never have enough soil in them - some only have some peat moss. I think if you made them yourself - used good potting soil like Miracle grow soil you would have a better result. As for them dropping leaves and petals - i doubt there is anything you can do about that - just gotta sweep them up. And , of course, be aware of things like he amount of sun and weather they will get in the area where your hanging them and plant appropriate flowers. One year I planted a vining flower in a hanging pot on our deck that was coverd by a canvas awning. That plant loved it's spot under the awning and those vines grew all across the pipes that support the awning. they were beautiful all summer but when fall came and the awning had to be taken down - OY! was it ever labor intensive to pull all those vines down! never again!
Honored Contributor

We have the lighted hanging flower baskets and we enjoy them. No watering and soft light at night.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Regular Contributor

Hello there. Here is what I have on my hanging porch/deck. I have many of the VPH spheres in different colors/sizes. I have placed them in different lanterns and or birdcages/various sizes and they are colorful in the daytime and glowing in the nighttime. You can get birdcages/lanterns on sale on the M and HL stores. Just be sure the opening is large enough for the spheres to fit inside.

I have used live plants and silk plants but the bees/wasps like to nest in them and you know what that means. With birdcages you can see the wasps/bees trying to build a nest and take care of it before it gets too large. Lots of the lanterns are closed so no bees or wasps.

Everyone that comes to visit all say the same thing ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I want one.

Hope this helps and have fun decorating.

Regular Contributor

Its me again. Another idea for lanterns is to place those plastic multi colored eggs inside them, with resin Easter bunnies/birds, etc., and then tie a colorful ribbon around it.

Then you can always change out the lanterns/birdcages as the seasons warrant.

Have a great day.

Super Contributor

Like brii, I use ferns.

I love Ivy Geraniums but they don't seem to do very well since my covered front porch faces east and only gets morning sun which is filtered by a very large tree in the front yard.

I get my ferns from Sam's; great price there in the Spring.

Contributor
Like Brii and Whitelinen I too have resorted to ferns and they do quite well !
Super Contributor

My front porch, last summer

Super Contributor

Your porch is beautiful, whitelinen. I so wish we had one. I really love your porch! So inviting-can I come over?