Esteemed Contributor

Window coverings ... Window in steel door

Good morning. I am looking for ideas for window coverings for windows in steel doors. I have two. One on a garage door that is an entry way into the house and is highly visible and one to the outside, not so visible. Privacy is an issue as I don't want anyone to be able to tell if we aren't home ... For security reasons while traveling. Any ideas appreciated. The current set up is curtains which get stuck in the door. TIA. LM

Super Contributor

Re: Window coverings ... Window in steel door

I have two doors like that. I use curtains to cover the window and hang with magnetic rods for top and bottom. I use curtains made for this purpose. Since they are on rods on top and bottom, the curtains don't move. They are called door panels and I bought mine at JCPenney.com. Some of their stores sell them, too. The rods I purchased at Lowes.
Super Contributor

I had a back door like that in a home we owned and probably felt we wouldn't stay long so all I did was take clear plastic packing tape and taped a light weight kitchen café curtain over the window for privacy. Worked for me.

Respected Contributor

I basically did the same thing as Rainbow Girl except my curtain rods are screwed into the door. Years ago, I found a one panel curtain on clearance....it was way too long for the window but was the color and design I was looking for.... I do not like sewing or altering things, so I put the panel on the top rod, down to and around the bottom one, back up to the top with enough curtain left to bring it over the top rod like a valance.... works like a charm!

Respected Contributor

I have a steel door that opens into our mudroom and you can also see into our family room. I never worried about any one being able to see in but my children when they came home for the holidays insisted we get a mini blind that is made especially for steel doors with windows. It is as wide as the door and we shortened it so that it ends below the last section of windows. It came with magnetic clips and does not move or fall. With the wand I can open the mini blind during the day and close it at night. I didn't put up any curtains or valances with it just the mini blind. I have to admit I do feel safer since I am by my self and everyone always uses this door to come in since our back porch is there. I think the blind cost around $40. DID NOT HAVE TO DRILL ANY HOLES TO ATTACH THE BLIND IT ALL MAGNETIC.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. I just hung the curtains again and they are stuck in the door first time DH entered the house! I used two magnetic rods but the bottom one kept getting dislodged. Grrrrr! Cater, the mini blind might work. Where did you get yours? Am not really crazy about drilling holes. Has anyone used those window adhesives. Do you think they look awful? Haven't investigated those. Looks like I need to get out and see what is available. Any other suggestions also appreciated. Thanks again for the ideas. LM

Respected Contributor

Lowes and home depot have them you can even order them from different catalogs. I am being very honest with you the magnets that come with the blind hold it so tight it does not slide up and down and on the bottom of the mini blind there are two clips that you just slide the mini blind into and the bottom doesn't move around when you open and close the door. I have to see if I have any catalogs here with them in. You could probably google mini blind for steel door. I know for sure they come for a 36"" inch wide door. You will not be sorry with this purchase. It always stays straight and believe me there are quite a few people who use this door every day here. I have used this product for over 10 years.

Esteemed Contributor

Cater, thanks for the info. I'm going to check that out! LM
Esteemed Contributor

Here is my temporary solution. I put a small magnet inside the bottom pocket where the rod is supposed to go. It keeps the bottom from flapping and getting stuck in the door. Now I don't have to worry about DH dislodging the bottom rod when he opens the door. We'll see how it goes over the next few days. I think this could be the answer! LM