Esteemed Contributor

Do You Mix Metals in Your Home ?

Just wondering if you mix your gold metals with silver metals ? We have a new home and in our old home everything was pretty much either gold, brass or oiled rubbed bronze. In our new home our kitchen, and bathrooms are in nickel or silver , plus our kitchen which is in the center of the house is done in black cabinets, marble counters and island with nickel fixtures. So being an open concept you can see the kitchen from the other rooms and we would like it to flow. I dont want to get rid of all the past items like clocks, chandeliers, decor items etc. Would love some suggestions as to how to incorporate our past items with our new. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Thanks !

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Mix Metals in Your Home ?

I had to because of time constraints. My builder would say go get five doorknobs or so many sconces or whatever. Since I am out in the boondocks and shopping trips to "the big city" had to count, I ended up not thinking things through completely, just bought. If we ever build another house I will have this stuff planned out in advance. So we have oiled brass, oiled nickel in the fans and knobs. The only thing that is consistent is bright nickel bathroom and kitchen fixtures. Everyone should build one test house before you do your real house. Sort of like a starter marriage. Just kidding, people.

Frequent Contributor

I have no polished brass hardware(although I do like antiqued brass) as I do not like it. All of ours is brushed nickel. But, I do mix soft/antiqued golds and bronze with all types of silver in wall art, art and painted furniture including my clothing and accessories. I do like monochromatic treatment and I honestly find all metallics to be neutral even when used together. I wear mixed metals, I think mixing whether on body or in home looks more contemporary and less contrived.

Respected Contributor

My house is all over the place. Gold, silver, and (I think) nickle plate. I never even knew this was a "thing" to be concerned about until recently. It is just not something that flies over my radar. It would be different if I were renovating my entire house at one time, but that will never happen.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/24/2014 depglass said:

I had to because of time constraints. My builder would say go get five doorknobs or so many sconces or whatever. Since I am out in the boondocks and shopping trips to "the big city" had to count, I ended up not thinking things through completely, just bought. If we ever build another house I will have this stuff planned out in advance. So we have oiled brass, oiled nickel in the fans and knobs. The only thing that is consistent is bright nickel bathroom and kitchen fixtures. Everyone should build one test house before you do your real house. Sort of like a starter marriage. Just kidding, people.

I am with you there !{#emotions_dlg.laugh}that makes total sense to me ! We found that out building so far from our new home also !

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/24/2014 Sebastian said:

I have no polished brass hardware(although I do like antiqued brass) as I do not like it. All of ours is brushed nickel. But, I do mix soft/antiqued golds and bronze with all types of silver in wall art, art and painted furniture including my clothing and accessories. I do like monochromatic treatment and I honestly find all metallics to be neutral even when used together. I wear mixed metals, I think mixing whether on body or in home looks more contemporary and less contrived.

Very Good point! I do mix my metals in jewelry and love the look ! Most of our brass and bronze are of the antiqued soft look, so maybe not so bad ! Also good point about not looking contrived. Thank you !{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/24/2014 Peaches McPhee said:

My house is all over the place. Gold, silver, and (I think) nickle plate. I never even knew this was a "thing" to be concerned about until recently. It is just not something that flies over my radar. It would be different if I were renovating my entire house at one time, but that will never happen.

I know, it isnt something I really thought about , should have seeing that a new home is like renovating. Just cant justify ALL new, when you have items you love , guess they just have to be worked with.

Honored Contributor

Our old home was built in 1983 - so everything was brass as was the fashion then - and even our lamps are antique brass. When we built a new home in 2010 they put in everything in nickel so we bought nickel handles for the kitchen cabinets and nickel lights for the bathrooms - stuff like that. However, we wanted to hang onto our very nice antique brass lamps so when we bought a chandelier for the DR and a ceiling fan for the LR we bought them in the same antique brass. Now, i would like to add that antique brass does not have the same color as regular brass - it is not nearly as yellow - it's more like gold and silver mixed together. Sorta the color that Tignanello used to call satin metal.Anyway, i think you can mix metal colors in a home. Our house is open concept but there are definitely separate areas so the metals in my kitchen are definately nickel and in the LR/DR are definately antique brass but they are in different rooms that just happen to be visuable from the other rooms.
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I sure do. I like silver, bronze, some gold, and gunmetal. Not shy about it either.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

Yes. I'm not Martha Stewart and my home isn't going to be featured in a magazine, so I'm not going to be judged by people and may as well do what works for me.

I suppose friends I invite over could judge me for that, but most of my friends are too worried about real problems to worry about my hardware and decorating.