Occasional Contributor

Need Advice on vacumn cleaner for pet hair

I am looking to buy a vacumn cleaner for less than 200 dollars that is really good at removing pet hair. I don't want to get a vacumn that has the roller with the brush because the hair keeps getting caught and I cannot remove the hair and I end up with a machine I can't use. I had a fantom fury years ago from HSN and I loved that vacumn. It worked really well for a long time but this machine is no longer being made.

Any suggestions?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need Advice on vacumn cleaner for pet hair

My dog hair ruined a vac and a Hoover carpet shampooer - roller and brush is how most vacuum manufacturers have made them for 100 years or more....until the DYSON. Too bad it's not under $200 because it's a fab machine - for animal hair/fur. I bought 3 of them!

Super Contributor

Just like the commercial says..."Get A Shark"!!! I recently bought a Shark Navigator/Rotator.

I got the upright version, NOT the lift-away (that one breaks into parts...you might like it), & I have to say it's the best vacuum I've ever owned.

I recently replaced all the carpeting in our 4K sq. foot house, so I have LOTS of carpet.

I also have 3 cats that shed...this vacuum is light weight, doesn't clog & you won't believe the stuff it picks up.

Wait for a sale although I think Sam's Club & Costco carry the lift away models.

Hope that helps...don't hesitate to ask me questions if you have any.

Do NOT even think about a Dyson...it voids most manufacturer's warranties...you can also Google rug manufacturer's recommended vacuums.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

I have had pets in my home just about all of my life. Just about any vacuum cleaner I had after about 6 months started blowing dust out instead of vacuuming it up and wouldn't pick up pet fur.

About 2 years ago or more I bought a Shark lift away navigator (I think that is all of the name Smiley Happy ) I bought it because I didn't want to spend quite the amount for a Dyson. I purchased it through the infomercial on payments. I have NEVER owned a better machine. I have had to clean the beater bar occasionally and of course wash the sponge filter. Also the plastic hose tore, but the company sent me a new one totally free without hassle. I rarely have been more pleased with a purchase. It gets it all.

Occasional Contributor

Ok thanks...A Sam's club is nearby so I'll go look for a shark. I am wondering if the lift way version is more of a hassle to deal with than the rotater one. Where was the upright purchased. Can you get this one through Amazon?

Esteemed Contributor

Another vote for Shark, mine is a navigator. We have 3 dogs and a cat and I cannot believe the stuff it picks up. This is the best vacuum I have ever had.

Super Contributor

Nessa, I bought the Shark Navigator/Rotator @macy's online believe it or not.

They had an awesome sale for Black Friday & I think I paid around $169 or $179 plus free

shipping & with the ebates 6% rebate, it was a steal.

I think you can get anything through Amazon, but Wal-Mart, Target & lots of other online stores (do NOT recommend Kohl's online, had major problems during the holidays) that carry this vacuum.

Just do your research on the best price & don't forget the ebates rebate...sign up for free.

Hope that helps!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Super Contributor

Forgot to tell you that this vacuum works on both carpet & hardwood. My entire downstairs is hardwood & it picks up everything with the roller brush turned off.

It's also a breeze to take off the dust cup & empty it (1X upstairs, 1X downstairs). The cord is also extra long & so is the hose/wand so you can reach up high.

Mine came with (5) extra tools, like the rotating brush for stairs etc.

You can sign with Shark online & they're send you specials every month for their products, which also include the awesome Ninja Blenders.

Usually with free shipping & extra goodies.

Good-luck with whatever you decide to purchase.

Contributor

Shark has better reviews from consumer report than dyson surprising there were quite a bit listing higher in rating and for less than half the price
Occasional Contributor

Just want to say thanks for the advice on the shark. I did go over to Amazon and got a lot of good information there too. Pretty sure I know what I want to get. Also will look into ebates. I have never heard of that. I will check it out.