Super Contributor

Is it ever possible to be rid of these pests? I have been cleaning and spraying and was shocked when I saw one in the kitchen. Don`t bring in anything like bagged potatoes , empty those outside and then bring them in. I bought one of those Ridex plug in units things, but not sure if they work on the roaches. Is there any solution to this problem? Ugh!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Flordia State Bug Problem

My daughter lives in Florida so I guess I have to visit. But I have never been to Florida without being attacked by something crawling or flying. I am sure it is a never ending battle.

In our parts we have stink bugs and I am just waiting for someone to discover a cure for them. But they don't bite me and I consider myself lucky.

Frequent Contributor

A good EXTERMINATOR on speed dial !!!! .... and a steady, strong swatting arm.

Honored Contributor

I live in AZ........big strange pre-historic looking bugs here. You can't get away from them any place you live.............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Roaches were everywhere when we lived in Florida. Even with our house sprayed, we still had them come out at night. The only thing that finally worked was boric acid. The roaches get it on their legs and it kills all of them, even back in their nest.

Honored Contributor

Are you referring to Palmetto bugs? We have been here 4 years and have only had one in the house - my DH got it with wasp spray. We do have a service from Massey who sprays and also checks for any signs of termites.. I would not live in Florida and not have my house regularly sprayed for insects. Now we are battling armadillos in our plan - I sure wish a knew a way to be rid of them. they burrow under people's foundations, and they smell horrid.
Regular Contributor

Another vote for Boric Acid. We use it in the garage and around the doors leading outside. Haven't seen anything inside.

Contributor

Been living in FL for 34 years. Florida is buggy! My current problem is tiny sugar ants. Ugh!
Super Contributor

My parents lived in Tampa for many years. My mom swore by boric acid.
Honored Contributor

Disgusting, but you all make me feel lucky. This is my 14th Florida winter - and the third in a row without any bugs including ants. A few years back, my building had a major ant infestation. Fortunately, all 4 unit owners agreed to hire a private exterminator and we got rid of them. Tremendous relief because some days there were hundreds (thousands??) and you just had no idea where they'd turn up next. Now I don't see any - even on my terrace.