Honored Contributor
We toured a model home today with some friends who are looking to buy. It was just a villa (half a duplex) but the design made it bright and spacious, and the thing I loved most was it had high ceilings as most Florida homes do - but this one also had huge high doors. Into every room and they were all double doors so every room was open and bright and those high doors - i believe the sales lady said they were 9 ft tall - just made the whole place feel like a mansion, even though the rooms were not very large they did not feel tight at all. You would have to use very little furniture in this house due to small spaces but those huge doors kept it from feeling small. they reminded me of old movies when they showed mansions and the star enters -opening a huge tall double door. Oh well, our friends didn't like it - too small so they aren't buying. I also liked that there were only 24 homes in the development and no HOA - i'd buy it just for that.
Honored Contributor

Re: beautiful home we saw today

I have ten foot ceiling in my kitchen and living room. It definitely gives the illusion of there being more space than there is. No HOA fees is always a plus.

Honored Contributor

Sounds nice and I'd jump on the no HOA fees, given how ludicrous mine are, but the feeling of space sometimes can't make up for actually having space! Past a point, like maybe eight feet or so, I don't want tall ceilings, which are harder to heat and cool and really just wasted space. I like the taller doors and fortunately these can often be achieved even with more standard ceilings. One of my goals is to replace all the interior doors in my apartment and when I do, I'm considering taking some of them up to the ceilings.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

We just finished knocking down and rebuilding a brand new summer home. We opted for 9ft. ceilings and instead of 9ft. doors inside I got transom windows installed above all of the interior doorways. It is so charming and very cottage looking! My new place is mostly windows overlooking our lake. Yellow shakers with white trim outdoors. A very cottage look is my ultimate goal.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

ID2 - sounds lovely. We moved from a small home in Pa to a slightly larger one in fl 4 years ago. since there are only 2 of us , and we have both always lived in smaller spaces , we are quite content in our small home. when we go home to Pa in the summer we live in a camper that is < 900 sq ft. There would never be any danger of me being house poor as i seem to gravitate toward a smalller , less pricey homes.
Esteemed Contributor

Can you tell me the price? Just curious what the real estate prices there are like.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/10/2014 ID2 said:

We just finished knocking down and rebuilding a brand new summer home. We opted for 9ft. ceilings and instead of 9ft. doors inside I got transom windows installed above all of the interior doorways. It is so charming and very cottage looking! My new place is mostly windows overlooking our lake. Yellow shakers with white trim outdoors. A very cottage look is my ultimate goal.

Sounds beautiful

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

I love a home with high ceilings. I think double doors are spectacular too.

One way to ""fudge"" high ceilings is to hang drapery up at the ceiling line. It makes the room feel taller.

Super Contributor

When my late dh and I were house hunting, I had to remind him to NOT look UP, but rather focus on the actual FLOOR square footage of a room/home for that reason -- 9+ ft ceilings do make a room seem much more spacious. We needed more ROOM, not TALL WALLS, tho, since we already had a 3 bdrm/1800 sq home and often the 9+ ft. ceilings made home identical to ours seem more spacious.

Super Contributor

Also, don't know that I'd want to live in a double with no HOA...what if the attached neighbor never mowed their lawn, etc.? Trashing up the neighborhood ... not my idea of an ideal situation.