Valued Contributor

Bought a new Washing Machine Old School Style!

I had a Kenmore for my first 15 years and it was used. Then I went to a Bosch front loader. I have had it a little over three years and it is, hands down, the worst washing machine I have ever used. It is mechanically shot already. I did some research and I decided to go with a

Speed Queen heavy duty commercial quality. My clothes are coming back to smelling good the way they used to. I love this washer. It is a little noiser than the new ones but you can fill it to whatever level you want, you can open the lid and insert laundry if you have forgotten something, the tub is spacious, its got a serious agitation, the knobs are all mechanical (easy repair), the warranty on this machine is GREAT, and most of all it is made in the USA. It puts the new washers to shame.

Just to let all of you know in case you are struggling with your front loaders or with the new machines. This machine is a work horse.

Beckyblu

Valued Contributor

Re: Bought a new Washing Machine Old School Style!

I bought an old style GE about 4 years ago. I wanted a top loader that had fill levels you could set yourself. None of that ""going by weight"" stuff. I wanted one also that had ""hot"" and ""warm"" wash settings. I don't think anything comes clean in cold water.

I also didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for a washer either. Got a very good deal at Lowe's.

Enjoy your Speed Queen!

Honored Contributor

That is good to know I have the 'new style' front loader and I don't love it but I won't replace it until it dies.......one thing I learned you cannot put as much laundry in it as it will hold...the towels especially don't have enough room to agitate and I don't think they get as clean.

Valued Contributor

Well I'm happy you love your new ""old school"" washer. They certainly don't make appliances like they used to. I am happy with my LG front loader and dryer. As for Bosch the only experience I have with that brand is a dishwasher that we had in our old office. It was the worst! Dishes and silverware were never clean after using it.
Respected Contributor

Thanks! I have a Maytag without the agitator and my whites have never been the same since I got rid of my Kenmore. I can never get them really white. May have to look at the Speed Queen.
Contributor

I HAVE A BOSCH FRONT LOADER WASHER AND DRYER, AND I REGRET BUYING THEM...I'VE HAD THEM ABOUT 3 YEARS...IT HAS COST ME MORE IN WATER AND ELECTRICITY THAN I WOULD'VE EVER PAID WITH MY OLD ONES...HOPE TO SOMEDAY DONATE THEM TO A LOCAL CHARITY AND BUY ME THE TOP LOADERS AGAIN.

Esteemed Contributor

A few years ago I bought a Maytag Neptune frontloader and it didn't last long. I was glad to return to the top loader model.

Enjoy your Speed Queen! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I have a top loader Kenmore that I purchased four years ago. If I want more water in the machine, I lift the lid and more water is added. I've been doing this since I got the machine. It doesn't hurt a thing. The Elite Kenmore is also a workhorse. After the front loader lawsuit and all the complaining, I would never purchase a front loading washing machine.

Valued Contributor

Where do you buy a Speed Queen? Big box store or Sears? A local company? I have a very vintage Maytag (30 years old in May) that I worry with every load will bite the dust.

Frequent Contributor

My 20 year old Kenmore washer died last winter and after much research, I bought a Speed Queen. You can open the lid to add clothes or detergent, you can stop the cycle at any point, you can add as much water as you want, and the knobs are mechanical. It was just what I wanted. I had two complaints however. One, the washer was shipped from the factory with a dented front panel and the company refused to help me deal with what was an unscrupulous dealer. I finally got a new panel but I had to fight to get it. The drum was also coated with some kind of mineral oil and I had to wipe it down many times before I could use it. Again there were many complaints against Speed Queen about the problem on the Internet, yet they kept shipping out washers with the oil slathered on the drum. They knew they had a problem but refused to address it. I suspect once the damaged inventory was shipped, they did not apply the oil on the drum again. At least I hope not. While I love my washer, my clothes are clean and I can control how the cycles work, it is also true that Speed Queen is not the company they once were. I would still recommend this washer over anything else on the market today. It is expensive but hopefully it will last. It is a shame that the Kenmore name we once knew as a quality product is gone forever.