Frequent Contributor

Has anyone purchased Amish furniture?

Hi! We're looking for an Amish made kitchen table & chairs. Picking something from online seems to be quite a task - ugh! I'm wondering if their are any Amish furniture ladies out in Q-Land. Can you recommend certain stores or companies that you've dealt with? We could take a trip to Lancaster if someone thinks that would be better.

TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone purchased Amish furniture?

I have not read the entire thread so this may be a repeat. We had a store in our area selling Amish furniture. Some of it turned out to be from China with the tags removed. Know your source.

Frequent Contributor

I went to Lancaster, PA, again last week and rescued another Golden Retriever puppy in awful condition. The mother was locked in a mud floor stall in the barn where she spends her entire life alone just breeding over and over again. I am worried sick about her with this extreme cold coming in tomorrow. When you go there to buy furniture or produce, ask them how many breeding dogs they have in unheated barns or in outside rabbit hutches. Drive around those beautiful country roads and listen. The barking is coming from behind or inside those barns. If anyone has any regard for animals, go there and see for yourself. Or check the Internet for Puppy Mills. Laws have been passed but not enforced so there is no help coming for so many suffering breeding dogs.

Super Contributor

How can they be so cruel?

Honored Contributor

There's Amish that do that woodworking and building in Shipshewana, Ind. Look on line.

Super Contributor

Just because it is Amish made does not mean it is well made. We took a trip to the Ohio Amish last summer and visited several of their furniture shops/stores. That is, the "showroom" in front of the shop. We didn't visit a lot of furniture stores, but the ones we saw had parts stapled together, which you only saw if you got underneath the table, or tilted up the benches or chairs. You have to be careful. It was not the old order quality of decades ago that we had expected to find.

Sorry if this is a repeat, I did not read the entire thread.

BTW, I"ve read that some Ohio Amish are selling out to the oil industry. Very sad to lose that beautiful culture, at land-wise speaking. Truly a great loss for the state of Ohio. - Bird

Esteemed Contributor

I am close enough to call ""Amish"" local. I have some very fine pieces that will outlast just about everything else. I have a heavy wood framed bed and a huge roll top desk. They are both worth every penny. I would do it again. So far they are 20 years old and going strong.

Regular Contributor

On 12/29/2013 Canada61 said:

Well made furniture but the Amish are heavily into puppy mills so it's a no go for me. Plenty of other quality furniture companies to buy from, especially in North Carolina.

Agree 100%. Would never support the Amish.