Creede Silver Sale
75 Members and 14309 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

Experience with kids wooden swingsets?

Started 1388238499.06 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1388423685.793 by haddon9
replies

Looking for a good quality swingset to purchase for grandkids. I don't want to break the bank, especially since they may move in a few years. I am thinking Lowes, Sams Club or Walmart?

Page 1 of 1
haddon91388240814.9776090 PostsRegistered 10/18/2005Bucks County, Pa

It's been many years since we bought one so I'm sure things must be much different today. We bough one by a company called Creative Playthings and at the time purchased a basic set. You can buy all kinds of add ons for your set and customize it.

My DD was about three years old when we purchased it from a home show where we got a discount. There are usually several home shows in my area each winter. Today my DD is 28 and the set is long gone from our backyard. We kept it up for little more than 12 years...DS came along and enjoyed it too.

Good luck finding a nice set! I'm sure your grandkids will LOVE it!

BevG1388241369.433151 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

A few years ago my Daughter and S-I-L purchased one at BJ's Wholesale Club. Best price, but they had to hire a crew to install it. No quality problems at all.

JeanLouise­Finch1388242258.58710879 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

We had one when our kids were small and got lots of use out of it. It was kind of sad when we finally tore it down. Any of the places you mention are probably good places to look. Be prepared though, that it's going to be a bit of an investment if you want a good one. There are many configurations so just get what you can afford. Sometimes you can start with a set and then add on extras later. You want to make sure the lumber is pressure-treated wood so it can better withstand the elements and last. Also be sure to use the best hardware. The kit will come with hardware, but sometimes you might want a longer bolt or even do additional fastening for extra security. If I remember right, we bought better bolts to hang the swings from to keep the chains from wearing down.

Here's hoping the grandkids love it and have tons of fun on it.

If the family moves in a few years, I suspect you would be able to sell it or gift it to a young family whose dad is willing to disassemble and move it from your yard. If it's being assembled at your grandkids' house, that could be a little extra selling point for a new buyer.

Last edited on 12/28/2013

RedTop1388246672.524512 PostsRegistered 9/1/2010

We purchased a similar type of playset for our girls, but instead of wood, theirs was galvanized steel. It provided hours of entertainment for both of them, and then we gave the playset to my nephew when he was about 6 years old. That set lasted for well over 15 years. The swing chains were replaced several times, and the 8 ft. slide cracked at the top and became a safety hazard, so it was removed before our youngest daughter outgrew it. We paid close to $300 for the playset back in the mid-80's, and it came from Sears. Our youngest daughter broke her wrist at age 5, by jumping out of the swing at a high height---there wasn't an inch of that playset they didn't climb and hang from.

lovesrecess1388247145.46313721 PostsRegistered 7/14/2008Texas

the best one we found is at Costco; the one we bought 10 years ago they are still selling; it is by Rainbow...we had to hire someone to install it but it was well worth it; because it was so expensive, we told DDs we would pay half if they paid half....we have done this with three of our kids and they are all happy because it allowed them to get a top-of-the-line play structure that they could not have afforded otherwise. our yard is not big enough for a play structure

KateChopin1388418790.3374104 PostsRegistered 1/17/2010

We got our at a playground place. Check to see what kind of maintenance it will need...ours needed lots. Lasted a long time, though...

haddon91388423685.796090 PostsRegistered 10/18/2005Bucks County, Pa

I forgot to mention that when we purchased our set we were living in a different house in NJ. When we moved to PA the kids were 3 & 5 years old and the set came along. DH is handy so he took it apart and reassembled it in our new backyard.

Page 1 of 1