Contributor

Quilting help for a beginner making 3 for Christmas--Help

Help.

Okay. I've studied, watched You-Tube videos and am progressing pretty well, even though I'm a beginner.

I did do a tied quilt years ago.

So, I'm not completely in the dark and have found that experienced quilters I've met in Joann's are very helpful.

I was planning to do lap quilts. Piecing is done on the larger one, beingmade for my sister. My backing has been taped to a clean, wood floor. I understand how to make the sandwich and to begin pinning or basting from the middle out and to leave at minimum a 4-5" clearance on all sizes - batting too, due to the quilting can pull the fabric.

Am I on target with all of the above?

Okay. I have purchased batting - I went for 1/4" polyester for my mother and mother-in-laws lap quilt.

The larger quilt, for my sis, is the one that I have "batting" questions about. I've read and Googled and am wondering if I should choose a cotton batting?

My mother, 90, and my 91 year-old mother in law aren't too steady on their feet. So, I think a small - literally a lap quilt - would be appreciated and most important - safe. I don't want either "mother" to accidentally slip on the quilt.

So, does anyone know a good length/width size for "the mothers?"

I'm going to machine quilt - bought a walking foot, but have never used one before. Should I use both hands to gently pull the fabric to both sides of the needle?

I no longer work so will have all week to work on the quilts. I have all fabrics that I plan to use. One of the smaller quilts doesn't have to be finished until the 29th. My plan is to have number one quilt pinned by this afternoon.

Oh, I'm cutting squares (6 1/2"), just combining prints and blenders. Nothing fancy, but Sis loves handmade items and so do my moms.

Thanks in advance for any help. Back to the "sweat shop." Will check for replies.

Emy

Super Contributor

Re: Quilting help for a beginner making 3 for Christmas--Help

Emy! At long last! We had given up on you! I just happened to be looking for this thread because I was looking for the quilter who posted the picture. (Its Jendoo, but I wii page her) .Anyhow I am glad you completed most of your projects. I think you were referring to the website called quilterscache.com. Thousands of patterns! And instructions too. There are other websites too but that is where I started. I took a class at Joanna Fabric and the instructor told us about that. Then I got books at the library but its always good to have real people to ask questions of. I think we should have at least our own separate thread for our quilt talks Smiley Happy