Give Gorgeous
125 Members and 12600 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

Duraflame noise, Is this normal?

Started 1381938574.133 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1381976050.713 by straitgirl

Just received one of 2 TSV's I ordered, cream and blue. The cream arrived today and is a lovely tone. I do like the screen with side views.

My question is: during the presentation the host and the duraflame rep went over to the grouping of heaters and made a point of saying they made no noise, even leaning in so their mic's could pick up any noise which there was none.

I'm wondering if the heat was off because when I turn my heat on there is a noise which sounds like a blow dryer on low, not as loud as a blow dryer. Definite blowing sound. Is this normal?

Page 1 of 1
Marienkaef­er21381938949.6278528 PostsRegistered 1/10/2007Beautiful San Juan Islands
My mom.has a Duraflame she bought last year from QVC, and yes, it makes s noise like you described. I think.if you look at the online reviews, you will see this mentioned as well. It may not bother some people, but it does bother my mom. She got an oil filled space heater at Lowe's that works better and is silent. It's not pretty like the Duraflame, but it works great.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. -- George Carlin

Susan Loui­se1381939624.0074435 PostsRegistered 9/11/2007from Connecticut/live in Nebraska

To me, it's like a low hum...lets me know it's on. To me, it's a calming sound, certainly not annoying...JMO Smile

mcall10201381940249.7671355 PostsRegistered 3/25/2007NJ

yes, we have 2 also. they both make that same sound.

SKITTLE1381943558.887220 PostsRegistered 7/18/2005

Yes, it's like a low blowing sound, i wouldn't mind listening to it while sleeping but we may need to turn the tv up when using in other rooms. i'm trying to cut down on noise....one of the reasons i bought a bosch dishwasher, love that.

i do love the cream color and screen 3 views. i think the legs are taller in this model which i also love. i should receive the blue one tomorrow.

i sent last yrs tsv back due to it being lower to the ground and not giving off much heat. if you just wanted your feet directly on the floor and in front then it was ok, but no air moving upwards or to the side. so i was hesitant to order this for fear of the same.

This one does give off better heat and over a broader range.

i have it sitting in front of my fireplace on the brick hearth, looks great. i'll still use my fireplace because I love that. i'll just pick up the duraflame as it moves easily, and i'll place it against another wall. but for the times when i'm cold and don't want to lug wood in or when i know i need to leave the house before the fire would go out then i can use the duraflame.

and i love the flame effect without heat which i'll use year round because i love the flame of a fireplace even in the summer.

hope it works out and i get to keep them.

Last edited on 10/16/2013

imaclothes­hog1381944540.5722089 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006

Yes the noise is normal, it's like a low hum. I bought ours about 2 years ago. We love it. When it came DH said, why did you buy that, we don't need that. Now he likes it more than I do. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} Last fall and winter, if he came in and it wasn't on, he would go over and turn it on. It's just the two of us, so we turn the heat down in the main part of the house, and sit in the family room most evenings, and have the heater on.

"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it". ~Erma Bombeck

Nadjalu1381951081.461971 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007
Another...yep that is normal. We got the same heater with glass doors from last year and ours makes that low hum. You do get used to it. It is actually comforting to hear it when watching snow fall. Last year we had a few heavy storms and I knew when I heard that him, I was safe and comfy from the blowing storm outside. Lol

GoodStuff138195145415205 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

"Too noisy" is one of the oft-repeated criticisms in reviews of this product.

kachina6241381955411.5316317 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico
If someone says these heaters are too noisy, I'd say they were unduly picky. I can hardly hear mine and it's the way I can tell if the heat is on. It has to have a fan to get the heat out and into the room.

Rachelle1381955859.2971292 PostsRegistered 9/30/2007

Skit, you are learning,,,its a trick of the trade!

Like putting all the thin gold/plated chains on a "brown" bust, makes them appear much thicker.

Retired081381968006.2675326 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008 Beautiful Coastal Georgia
On 10/16/2013 imaclotheshog said:

Yes the noise is normal, it's like a low hum. I bought ours about 2 years ago. We love it. When it came DH said, why did you buy that, we don't need that. Now he likes it more than I do. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} Last fall and winter, if he came in and it wasn't on, he would go over and turn it on. It's just the two of us, so we turn the heat down in the main part of the house, and sit in the family room most evenings, and have the heater on.

I agree with you imaclotheshog, and like Susan Louise, we find the slight hum that the heater makes calming and very comforting. It certainly isn't enough noise to be annoying.

What you put into the lives of others comes back into your own.

Hooty1381971340.7419142 PostsRegistered 9/4/2006~War Eagle Country~

I bought mine last year, and only use them for the fireplace presence, and they don't make any noise at all, so it must be the heater mode!

Julie9281381971743.103491 PostsRegistered 4/7/2013Illinois

Oh yeah, unfortunately it is normal! I bought one of the Duraflame faux fireplace heaters a couple years ago from QVC. We placed it inside one of our fireplaces as I cannot light the fireplace because of smoke, smell (even though I love the smell), etc. (We have a couple older animals that have some respiratory issues). Anyway, whenever I have it running I feel like there's a 76 Chevy parked inside my fireplace with the engine running! Maybe it won't bother me so much this year. I'll try to do what others do and consider it a "calming" noise. I'm loving the way it looks in the fireplace but THE NOISE!!! AGHHHHHHH!!!!

straitgirl1381976050.71321707 PostsRegistered 7/29/2006

My Duraflame makes a very soft blowing sound when on high, but I didn't buy it from QVC.

Page 1 of 1