Fashion Special Offers
122 Members and 12836 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

How do you get Vicks Vapor Rub out of fabric?

Started 1378658883.807 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1378947792.197 by birkin baby
replies

My DH has had a cold. Congestion, particularly at night, has been a problem for him, so he has been applying Vicks Vapor Rub beneath his nose before coming to bed. I now have bedding that is stained with the oil from it.

I tried soaking a stain with blue Dawn dish detergent, but it didn't touch the oily mark. Does anyone out there have a suggestion for removing these oil stains?

Page 1 of 1
imaclothes­hog1378659101.23721223 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006

There is a Shout spray just for oily stains. You can get it at Walmart, etc.

Vicks is petroleum based so you will have to find something that remove oil. I'm surprised your Dawn didn't remove it, because Dawn will remove oil. Maybe try it applying it again and let it sit for a while before washing?

As a last resort, try pouring a little Goo Gone on the stain, let it sit for a few minutes and then try washing it. Goo Gone removes adhesives and sometimes oil stains.

"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it". ~Erma Bombeck

esmeraldag­ooch1378666311.21311801 PostsRegistered 1/7/2008Adopt a Rescue Pet, who rescues who?

Shout works really well, there is also greased lightning.

http://www.greased-lightning.com/Laundry/

Industrial strength and even removes oil from concrete.

Last edited on 9/8/2013

Last edited on 9/8/2013

People are meant to be loved and things are designed to be used. The problem today is, things are being loved and people are being used. Lets change that.... G.Beck

Retired081378748275.2935296 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008 Beautiful Coastal Georgia

This question is along the lines of how do you remove deodorant stains from the underarms of clothing. I've never had any luck with that, so I've changed to a stick deodorant rather than my favorite Tussy roll on.

What you put into the lives of others comes back into your own.

mistriTsqu­irrel1378794327.99710594 PostsRegistered 7/17/2010Purgatory, USA

Lestoil

Google says Wal-Mart has it...you could probably find it with the cleaning supplies.

I used it all the time to get oil and grease out of my clothes when I worked at an oil-change place.

I applied it as a pre-treater to any oily stains that were on my clothes using an old toothbrush before washing.

Heartburn Can Cause Cancer -- www.ecan.org

"I wanna live, I wanna love...but it's a long, hard road out of h*ll..." ~~ M.M.

ptagirl1378861494.893194 PostsRegistered 4/15/2007U.P. Michigan
On 9/10/2013 mistriTsquirrel said:

Lestoil

Google says Wal-Mart has it...you could probably find it with the cleaning supplies.

I used it all the time to get oil and grease out of my clothes when I worked at an oil-change place.

I applied it as a pre-treater to any oily stains that were on my clothes using an old toothbrush before washing.

I second that, LESTOIL! I've used Lestoil, for years. My husband is a truck driver and when he comes home with black grease on his clothes, Lestoil works every time. I'm glad they still make it or I'd be lost.

Sue

birkin baby1378862613.3334398 PostsRegistered 1/20/2011

Dawn power dissolver is the best fir getting grease out of fabric.It is cheap,does double duty in the kitchen on baked on pots n pans.I keep a bottle in Birmingham and laundry.Even pre washed stains can come out.just spray it on,work it in...let it marinate a while...work it in some more,rinse in warm water....repeat if necessary.it got out motor oil,car grease off hands,oily food stains from table cloths....etc.I learned about it from consumer reports.

IamMrsG1378914164.0071737 PostsRegistered 8/19/2008

Thank you, All, for your suggestions. I had never heard of either Greased Lightning or Dawn Power Dissolver, and did not know they still made Lestoil. Using GooGone (which I have under the kitchen sink right now) would never have crossed my mind.

Since originating this post, DH has ruined another set of sets, #3, I think. So, your ideas are going to have a good test. In the interim, I am going to throw out his supply of Vicks Vapor Rub. {#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

birkin baby1378947792.1974398 PostsRegistered 1/20/2011

Dawn power dissolved is in the dish detergent section. ....Blue spray bottle.

Page 1 of 1