TSV(R) Preview
27 Members and 11826 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

bleach "stains" on carpet - carpet dye sticks

Started 1377529486.69 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1377615362.583 by annabellethecat
replies

I was cleaning this weekend, and used bleach on an item. I thought I had rinsed it off really well and took it outside to dry. This morning, I see that I have droplets where bleach fell on my beige carpet, and the color was removed. The spots are about the size of a pencil eraser, and there are probably 10 or 12 of them (when I left for work this morning, it was a little dark, and I didn't take the time to carefully count them all).

As the apartment manager replaced my carpet about a year ago, I am just sick about this. He's going to hit the roof if/when he finds out.

Have any of you used carpet dye sticks to cover up bleach spots? Is there another alternative?

TIA

I don't know why fortune smiles on some, and lets the rest go free. ~ Don Henley

Page 1 of 1
Hoovermom1377529856.0872417 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007

I haven't used those sticks. I have resorted to snipping individual tips off the carpet to get a red color out of it that would not come out with cleaner. Worked!!

Last edited on 8/26/2013

Last edited on 8/26/2013

imaclothes­hog1377543289.13321966 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006

oh that's a tough one. Try buying a fabric or carpet dye or grout color stain about the same color as the carpet and smearing it into the fabric pile. It may stain it enough to cover up the bleached spots.

"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it". ~Erma Bombeck

kachina6241377543309.35716189 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico
I never heard of carpet dye sticks but why couldn't you use some marker pens? They come in many colors. Go to Michaels or Hobby Lobby and see what's available.

Brinklii1377543586.1510278 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern WI

I never heard of carpet dye sticks, but it sounds like a great idea. I'll tell you what I did years ago when I was renting....I had bleached out some spots on a carpet too, and I used eye shadow on the spots....It worked! It didn't vacuum up either.

A tongue has no bones, yet it is strong enough to break a heart. Be careful with your words.

TN halfback1377547286.6332691 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008

I only have 1 spot like you described but I panicked when I saw it. Same thing, beige carpet & was replaced just over a year ago.

I'm going to do what Kachina624 suggested & look for a marker pen. Maybe snip a couple of yarns from an inconspicuous spot like the closet to match up colors.

I know this won't make you feel better but.....Years ago I rented a cute newly remodeled house on the water. Can you imagine my horror when my iron fell off the ironing board & melted a big iron mark into the carpet? There's no hiding that!

kachina6241377547721.49316189 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico
You could also buy a small bottle of acrylic craft paint and dilute it with water. If used straight from the bottle it'll get stiff. Once it dries, you can't blast that stuff away. It comes in lots of colors and you can even get it at Walmart in the crafts section.

Trevoli1377580644.243669 PostsRegistered 10/16/2007

You guys are so smart!!

I looked more closely when I got home from work, and there aren't as many spots as I'd originally thought.

I'm going to use some small manicure scissors to see if I can snip some threads. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll try the pens or eye shadow trick.

I really hope I don't have to buy the carpet dye sticks. They're not cheap, and they're big. They remind me of bingo daubers. Would be hard to use on my tiny spots.

Thanks to all you lovely people for the great suggestions. When I noticed the spots this morning, the QVC Community is the first thing that popped into my head.

I don't know why fortune smiles on some, and lets the rest go free. ~ Don Henley

JYWilliams1377614911.2673156 PostsRegistered 10/7/2009Kentucky "The Blue Grass State"

My sister spilled a little bleach on a burgundy carpet in a house she was renting and it was a nice size spot. I went to a paint store that sell paint in a spray can to dye carpets in cars and found the right color match.

annabellet­hecat1377615362.58314384 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006

I agree with kachina. I have used markers to color over mess ups on material. Don't just settle for the regular colors. If you are really interested in covering it exactly you can get markers at stores that sell crafts. Try that or you might be able to get something that matches it by going to a store like a paint store like a Sherwin=Williams store. Even a place like Lowes that sells a lot of colors of paint.

Before you do all of that just google what you want to know. That's what I do.

Page 1 of 1