Christmas in July(R) Sale
148 Members and 13648 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

My Halloween shopping spree

Started 1377122776.737 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1377367374.467 by serenna

Well I guess it was not really a "spree" as I only bought the ingredients for one project.

I have commentary tho! I have permanently crossed my local WalMart off my holiday decorating shopping circuit. This store continues to fail miserably in the selection of all seasonal decs. It just stinks. Today I visited and found every single large foam pumpkin sold out. The rest of the foam pumpkins were a sorry selection. There were only two aisles of Hween decorative items; they were not impressive. So I give up on my WM.

I also visited the store that is two words, last ending in y. I had a wonderful time! All fall decs on sale at 40% off; resins 50% off; that includes both fall holidays and Christmas too.

I bought 6 foam pumpkins for my two towers. I will stack three foam pumpkins in urns. Will post pics.

Here are some pics of other interesting items I saw:

Think mallemo already has this one?? I love it, hard to pass it by. Several different sizes available if I remember correctly.

I bought this one, and a smaller one in gold and blue! Going to use them with some of Val's lighted pumpkins (bought all three sets--basketweave, lace, and beaded; I know I am very bad!!). Not sure where yet. Am planning three vignettes: Table, mantle, front window table. I really like the color combo on these, not Hallo-weeny but I like the color mix.

The smaller one is in the far right corner.

Orb for hanging?

And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.

(Roald Dahl)

Page 1 of 2
whitelinen1377122891.773073 PostsRegistered 2/16/2009ICU RN

Forgot to take pics of their velvet pumpkins. Had quite a few, large size $29.99 before sale discount. I did not like the stems, think they are plastic or resin.

And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.

(Roald Dahl)

whitelinen1377123105.3733073 PostsRegistered 2/16/2009ICU RN

Forgot this one:

(Roald Dahl)

MagnoliaMs1377123449.961235 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007Gulf Coast

whitelinen, these are great photos you took. I really like those candlesticks and can't wait to see your project completed. I am still working on mine. I know what you mean about WM. I can't believe they don't take advantage all the people interested in home decor and do it yourself projects. I go directly somewhere,too, usually. Good luck on your foam pumpkin project! Will be waiting.

snickster1377123519.093293 PostsRegistered 7/28/2012

You hit the jackpot! Wow. Love your finds. Can't wait to see pics of your finished projects.

maddiesmam­a7171377126661.7274 PostsRegistered 7/25/2013
I love that first one, and I REALLY love that keep calm and gobble on sign in the background, lol! I'm having a blonde moment, I can't figure out what store you are talking about... H**** L****?

mallemo1377128848.9739843 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007Minnesota

whitelinen...Love all the things you posted. You had a fun day! I don't have that pumpkin but I like it. What dept. were the pillar holders in? I love those!

Hildegarde­ Withers1377131191.24322955 PostsRegistered 7/3/2008

Very nice.

Marshalls also has some very nice Autumn/Halloween decorations.

rosehill1377131604.593209 PostsRegistered 10/30/2007

Whielinen, I like many of the items you posted. I plan to go to H***** L***** this Saturday. The black and white pumpkin is right up my DIL's alley. She loves black.

Do you have instructions for the pumpkin topiaries in urns that you plan to do? I would love to do something like that. I don't have urns, but I have two pretty good sized grey fiberglass cubes that can hold a plant. I might try to do something in them. Urns would be way better, but even plastic urns can be sooooo expensive! And then, alot of times, plastic urns look like plastic. I like the fiberglass ones that look like aged antiques.

I may have a link saved somewhere on how to style and actually build these pumpkin urn topiaries. I do love them, don't you? I suppose the biggest piece of information is how the pumpkins should be shaped, and how large each should be. I would like to poke around on Saturday and see if i can find some components. If I find the link that I remember reading, I will post it here. (see below). In the first link, the person uses real pumpkins. I think I would like to use faux, so that I wouldn't be buying pumpkins every year.

http://betweennapsontheporch.net/make-pumpkin-topiaries-for-an-autumn-or-halloween-porch-welcome-to-the-195th-metamorphosis-monday/

http://www.mykirklands.com/stream/post.php/6845#cat=latest

http://southerncharmbyfarica.blogspot.com

Last edited on 8/21/2013

Last edited on 8/21/2013

whitelinen1377132452.7933073 PostsRegistered 2/16/2009ICU RN
On 8/21/2013 mallemo said:

whitelinen...Love all the things you posted. You had a fun day! I don't have that pumpkin but I like it. What dept. were the pillar holders in? I love those!

Hello dear mallemo!

The candle pillar holders are in the center, with the ceramics. They were 50% off, the largest was around 25$, so I got it for half price which was sweet.

I am hoping the colors will work for Hween; will see.

(Roald Dahl)

SHOPR1377132781.9831240 PostsRegistered 4/17/2013
On 8/21/2013 maddiesmama717 said: I love that first one, and I REALLY love that keep calm and gobble on sign in the background, lol! I'm having a blonde moment, I can't figure out what store you are talking about... H**** L****?

LOL I noticed that sign, too, and was about to mention it. Hobby Lobby is the store. whitelinen, I have a feeling that if I had been the one shopping at HL today, I would have chosen the same items to take photos of to share. I see why each caught your eye. I'd love to have the candleholders, the exact two you chose, even though I have no need for them. The patchwork pumpkin is neat. I like it all! Thanks for the photos. HL shopping is a rare treat for me.

whitelinen1377133492.243073 PostsRegistered 2/16/2009ICU RN
On 8/21/2013 rosehill said:

Whielinen, I like many of the items you posted. I plan to go to H***** L***** this Saturday. The black and white pumpkin is right up my DIL's alley. She loves black.

Do you have instructions for the pumpkin topiaries in urns that you plan to do? I would love to do something like that. I don't have urns, but I have two pretty good sized grey fiberglass cubes that can hold a plant. I might try to do something in them. Urns would be way better, but even plastic urns can be sooooo expensive! And then, alot of times, plastic urns look like plastic. I like the fiberglass ones that look like aged antiques.

I may have a link saved somewhere on how to style and actually build these pumpkin urn topiaries. I do love them, don't you? I suppose the biggest piece of information is how the pumpkins should be shaped, and how large each should be. I would like to poke around on Saturday and see if i can find some components. If I find the link that I remember reading, I will post it here.

Yes, I really loved that one too. But I think it takes a basic B&W scheme, with orange as accent. Wouldn't it look terrific to put five or six of those B&W pumpkins on a table runner, on different styles of black holders? With orange pumpkins scattered throughout?

About the pumpkin pillars; I saw them last year on a few of the blogs. Some used real pumpkins. I bought three for each of my fiberglass urns (they are round, black, Victorian looking) in three different sizes. The large bottom one is turned upside down, mid-sized middle one also upside down, and the small top one right side up. They will sit on a leaf garland, wrapped around a grapevine wreath which is placed on top of the urn.

Something like this:

trio of gilded pumpkins in urn

This is NOT my porch, just an idea of the look I want:

pair of urns with pumpkins

urn 2

Last edited on 8/21/2013

Last edited on 8/21/2013

(Roald Dahl)

whitelinen13771335923073 PostsRegistered 2/16/2009ICU RN

urn 5

(Roald Dahl)

Just Plain­ Crazy1377133876.854934 PostsRegistered 7/22/2009

love the patchwork pumpkin and the candlesticks, especially the smaller black and red one. Thanks so much for sharing. Looks like a road trip for me.

JPC

whitelinen1377134150.353073 PostsRegistered 2/16/2009ICU RN
On 8/21/2013 Just Plain Crazy said:

love the patchwork pumpkin and the candlesticks, especially the smaller black and red one. Thanks so much for sharing. Looks like a road trip for me.

JPC

Hi J!! Also got a green wire candle holder, will take a pic later. The green is bright and it coordinates with the multicolor holders.

Are you displaying multiple vignettes for Hween this year?

(Roald Dahl)

whitelinen1377134284.7433073 PostsRegistered 2/16/2009ICU RN

I didn't get the mid sized multicolored red holder, now wish I had. Might go back tomorrow . . . there were also coordinating shapes and colors in the wire candle holders. If you go, look for those too. Think they were in fall colors; red, green, maybe yellow.

(Roald Dahl)

whitelinen1377134390.6573073 PostsRegistered 2/16/2009ICU RN

Happy you guys are enjoying the pics. I wanted to stop in T a r g e t and D o l l a r S t o r e too but ran out of time.

(Roald Dahl)

Marsha20031377134800.34244 PostsRegistered 10/31/2007

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing!

rosehill1377134945.793209 PostsRegistered 10/30/2007

Lovely photos, Whitelinen. Thank you. Did you buy your faux pumpkins at HL? I would need some big ones, so I am not sure if I can do it- could be rather costly.

You are right about the black and white pumpkin looking best in a black and white decor. Something like black Pottery Barn furniture.

Just Plain­ Crazy1377135406.0074934 PostsRegistered 7/22/2009
On 8/21/2013 whitelinen said:
On 8/21/2013 Just Plain Crazy said:

JPC

Hi J!! Also got a green wire candle holder, will take a pic later. The green is bright and it coordinates with the multicolor holders.

Are you displaying multiple vignettes for Hween this year?

Hi whitelinen,

My Halloween decorations will be mixed in with all my fall things and haven't changed much in the past couple of years. Have been putting all my time & $ into my GB things. I mostly put out my JS Halloween things now. Have a lot in storage but just don't drag it all out anymore, too much work. Have been thinking of Valeries purple spheres but haven't taken that plunge yet. Really don't need them and don't know for sure where I would put them. And I bought so many pumpkins last year, I had a hard time finding places for them too.

The wire candle holder sounds neat .

JPC

palmajo13771359847478 PostsRegistered 10/22/2007

OP-thanks for the beautiful pictures!! I love everything you showed us and will have to make a trip out there! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

"The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart"

GinaV241377136277.7634400 PostsRegistered 7/23/2010

Love all your pictures of the fun things you saw (and some that you bought). I don't have a H-L store anywhere near me, but I'm going to check at Tarjay and maybe Peer 1 (sic) LOL.

You are inspiring me with everything!

I have VPH's orbs in amber & purple. I just couldn't resist because I thought they'd be great for Halloween. I'm working on the plan for the yard since I have developed a big collection of outdoor decorations, along with my indoor pumpkins.

itsmetoo1377138006.7671440 PostsRegistered 6/14/2006

I may have a link saved somewhere on how to style and actually build these pumpkin urn topiaries. I do love them, don't you? I suppose the biggest piece of information is how the pumpkins should be shaped, and how large each should be. I would like to poke around on Saturday and see if i can find some components. If I find the link that I remember reading, I will post it here.

Yes, I really loved that one too. But I think it takes a basic B&W scheme, with orange as accent. Wouldn't it look terrific to put five or six of those B&W pumpkins on a table runner, on different styles of black holders? With orange pumpkins scattered throughout?

About the pumpkin pillars; I saw them last year on a few of the blogs. Some used real pumpkins. I bought three for each of my fiberglass urns (they are round, black, Victorian looking) in three different sizes. The large bottom one is turned upside down, mid-sized middle one also upside down, and the small top one right side up. They will sit on a leaf garland, wrapped around a grapevine wreath which is placed on top of the urn.

Something like this:

urn 2

Last edited on 8/21/2013

As you stack these pumpkins do you cut off the stem of the middle pumpkin since you are stacking it upside down? These are so pretty. Can't wait to see your finished product.

whitelinen1377140674.943073 PostsRegistered 2/16/2009ICU RN
On 8/21/2013 itsmetoo said:

Something like this:

urn 2

Last edited on 8/21/2013

As you stack these pumpkins do you cut off the stem of the middle pumpkin since you are stacking it upside down? These are so pretty. Can't wait to see your finished product.

Hi itsme. I took a closer look at the faux foam pumpkins. They each have a hole in the bottom where the stem can fit, so it looks like I wont have to turn them upside down. Will be experimenting with them tomorrow.

They are not cheap! But all were 40% off. The large on was originally around 29. Middle was 29 as well (I think, without looking at receipt). Will find receipt tomorrow if anyone wants prices nailed down.

I went for it this year. Last year I skimped on Halloween and focused on Christmas. This year doing opposite. But I'm trying to recycle and not buy anything else. May be difficult as I want to put some lanterns in other planter boxes on FP. And mallemo's pictures of the lantern swags are burning in my memory . . .

(Roald Dahl)

itsmetoo1377145533.8531440 PostsRegistered 6/14/2006
On 8/21/2013 itsmetoo said:

Something like this:

urn 2

Last edited on 8/21/2013

Hi itsme. I took a closer look at the faux foam pumpkins. They each have a hole in the bottom where the stem can fit, so it looks like I wont have to turn them upside down. Will be experimenting with them tomorrow.

They are not cheap! But all were 40% off. The large on was originally around 29. Middle was 29 as well (I think, without looking at receipt). Will find receipt tomorrow if anyone wants prices nailed down.

I went for it this year. Last year I skimped on Halloween and focused on Christmas. This year doing opposite. But I'm trying to recycle and not buy anything else. May be difficult as I want to put some lanterns in other planter boxes on FP. And mallemo's pictures of the lantern swags are burning in my memory . . .

I really like the way they grouped several pumpkins on the porch beneath the urns too in one of the photos. I don't have HL where I live but M i c h a e l 's sells the pumpkins and they are expensive there too!

mallemo1377191954.1879843 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007Minnesota
On 8/21/2013 mallemo said:

Hello dear mallemo!

The candle pillar holders are in the center, with the ceramics. They were 50% off, the largest was around 25$, so I got it for half price which was sweet.

I am hoping the colors will work for Hween; will see.

Thanks whitelinen. I think they will work for both Halloween and Harvest. Great prices too!

Page 1 of 2