TSV(R) Preview
78 Members and 13640 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

Paging Mallemo about Velvet Pumpkins

Started 1376845873.623 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1378522046.78 by desperate-housewife

I am considering ordering some velvet pumpkins. Since you have received yours from the seller you recommended, you now know what they look like in person. Have you ever seen Hot Skwash pumpkins in person? I have a few, so I know what they look like. If you have seen Hot Skwash, do you think the quality in the two vendors compare favorably? I love to actually see before I buy, but with online shopping, it's impossible! Your online vendor's pumpkins look really nice.

Page 1 of 1
mallemo1376856133.7979632 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007Minnesota
On 8/18/2013 rosehill said:

I am considering ordering some velvet pumpkins. Since you have received yours from the seller you recommended, you now know what they look like in person. Have you ever seen Hot Skwash pumpkins in person? I have a few, so I know what they look like. If you have seen Hot Skwash, do you think the quality in the two vendors compare favorably? I love to actually see before I buy, but with online shopping, it's impossible! Your online vendor's pumpkins look really nice.

Hi rosehill. I have seen Hot Skwash pumpkins in person and they are beautiful. If I had the funding I would buy nothing but those. The seller on Etsy has nice pumpkins but they are not like Hot Skwash. Mainly because of the filling. They are more pillow like rather than bean bag like. They are not as heavy as the Hot Skwash because of the filling. You can shape the Hot Skwash pumpkins where the ones I ordered are already pretty much shaped. You can manipulate them some but not much. I think for the price the Etsy seller has a nice product plus she uses real stems. The ones I found last year from TJ Maxx are more of the bean bag style and much larger. I guess it just depends on how much you want to invest. Hot Skwash pumpkins are just awesome but so expensive. Did you ever end up with any of the velvet pumpkins from either TJ Maxx or HomeGoods?

rosehill1376865430.2633180 PostsRegistered 10/30/2007

Thanks for answering, Mallemo. I know, Hot Skwash are sooo expensive. I didn't buy mine-they were a gift. They are not real large, either. I have 3- 3.5", 1-4.5" and 1-5". When I saw that photo posted by Whitelinen, with the five candlesticks on the table in front of the window, with pumpkins placed on top, I fell in love. I thought I might be able to re create the idea with velvet pumpkins. I played around with mine today, but I think my Hot Skwash are too small. I will try to take a photo and upload it here for opinions.

I contacted the Etsy shop owner and asked if she could make some larger ones. She was very nice, but said no- her stems will not cover the area to be cinched on larger pumpkins. Plush Plus makes sets of 4". 5" & 7" pumpkins. They are $79, though, with the acorns. I need 5 pumpkins, not necessarily the acorns. (they are cute, though). If I bought 5 pumpkins from her, I am sure the price will be $125 or there a bouts, which I am not willing to pay.

I did buy some from Marshalls and TJMaxx last year. They are a better size for what I want to do. Material is different than the pretty iridescent velvet. I am not going to do anything for now, because I can't spend that kind of money on velvet pumpkins.

mallemo1376925830.9839632 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007Minnesota

Thanks for answering, Mallemo. I know, Hot Skwash are sooo expensive. I didn't buy mine-they were a gift. They are not real large, either. I have 3- 3.5", 1-4.5" and 1-5". When I saw that photo posted by Whitelinen, with the five candlesticks on the table in front of the window, with pumpkins placed on top, I fell in love. I thought I might be able to re create the idea with velvet pumpkins. I played around with mine today, but I think my Hot Skwash are too small. I will try to take a photo and upload it here for opinions.

I contacted the Etsy shop owner and asked if she could make some larger ones. She was very nice, but said no- her stems will not cover the area to be cinched on larger pumpkins. Plush Plus makes sets of 4". 5" & 7" pumpkins. They are $79, though, with the acorns. I need 5 pumpkins, not necessarily the acorns. (they are cute, though). If I bought 5 pumpkins from her, I am sure the price will be $125 or there a bouts, which I am not willing to pay.

I did buy some from Marshalls and TJMaxx last year. They are a better size for what I want to do. Material is different than the pretty iridescent velvet. I am not going to do anything for now, because I can't spend that kind of money on velvet pumpkins.

Ok, I could not remember if you found pumpkins last year from TJ Maxx or HomeGoods. So you do know what those look like and the size. The two velvet pumpkins I received from the Etsy seller are way smaller than those from TJM and HG. I will try and post a photo later of them side by side just so you have an idea. The Etsy seller's pumpkins would be perfect for candlesticks since you don't really need them to be formed but to just sit there. You are also right about the velvet quality. The pumpkins from TJM and HG are no where near the quality of Hot Skwash. You just want to lay down and roll around on their velvet! I'm jealous of your Hot Skwash gift as they are gorgeous! One of these days I'm going to collect a few when I can afford the extra investment. I did love that display that whitelinen posted. Loved the sign too. I had also asked the Etsy seller about larger sizes and she told me the same thing. Plush Plus also looks like they have nice pumpkins but not inexpensive. Last year I went to a local craft show that is huge. I could not believe there was not one crafter there selling velvet pumpkins. They are missing the boat on that one!

DeltaOne1376936007.9632140 PostsRegistered 12/19/2006

I know this thread was addressed to Mallemo, but I just thought I'd let you know that The Victorian Trading Company's website has some lovely cloth/stuffed pumpkins that you may be interested in, and at a reasonable price.

rosehill1376936652.863180 PostsRegistered 10/30/2007

Hi DeltaOne~ thank you. The ones at Victorian Trading look very nice. I will look at the sizes to see if they would work. I will try to post a link to my photobucket account to show the candle sticks I was thinking of putting velvet pumpkins on. I took photos of the Hot Skwash ones I have and they are too small I think. I also took photos with Valeries beaded pumpkins.

rosehill1376936805.7673180 PostsRegistered 10/30/2007

http://s794.photobucket.com/user/donnaroe/slideshow/Fall%202103%20Sideboard/Fall%202013%20Sideboard

Last edited on 8/19/2013

Last edited on 8/19/2013

rosehill1376937500.9773180 PostsRegistered 10/30/2007

I don't know how to post from photo bucket. I have a Mac computer now and I don't know if this has anything to do with it. Oh well...

Just Plain­ Crazy1376940304.284757 PostsRegistered 7/22/2009

rosehill,

I love valeries beaded pumpkins on your candlesticks. I do agree the Skwash pumpkins are kinda small for them and I think with the color of the candlesticks, the Skwash pumpkins get kinds lost on them. Maybe that is because they are too small.

JPC

Luv2Decora­te1376946982.875908 PostsRegistered 5/2/2008Staring at our boat in storage

I bought these from a lady on etsy and she uses real pumpkin vines. They are really nice!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/159068299/3-velvet-pumpkins-with-real-dried?ref=shop_home_active

God is Great, Beer is Good and People are Crazy.

rosehill1376947567.013180 PostsRegistered 10/30/2007
On 8/19/2013 Just Plain Crazy said:

rosehill,

I love valeries beaded pumpkins on your candlesticks. I do agree the Skwash pumpkins are kinda small for them and I think with the color of the candlesticks, the Skwash pumpkins get kinds lost on them. Maybe that is because they are too small.

JPC

JPC~ thank you. I agree with you- the velvet pumpkins are just too small. That's okay, though, because I have had a string of very pretty grape lights with leaves, and I played around with them and the velvet pumpkins about a month ago and used an amber cake plate set in an old chocolate crate. It looked pretty good and I may use that on the table in my hall. Only thing is~I tore it apart to see how the velvet pumpkins would look in the dining room and I probably won't remember how I arranged everything! {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Still can't figure out how to make the link for photobucket live on this forum though. (you know, where people can just click on the link and it takes them to what you want them to see?)

Last edited on 8/19/2013

Last edited on 8/19/2013

Just Plain­ Crazy1376952317.984757 PostsRegistered 7/22/2009
On 8/19/2013 rosehill said:

rosehill,

JPC

JPC~ thank you. I agree with you- the velvet pumpkins are just too small. That's okay, though, because I have had a string of very pretty grape lights with leaves, and I played around with them and the velvet pumpkins about a month ago and used an amber cake plate set in an old chocolate crate. It looked pretty good and I may use that on the table in my hall. Only thing is~I tore it apart to see how the velvet pumpkins would look in the dining room and I probably won't remember how I arranged everything! {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Still can't figure out how to make the link for photobucket live on this forum though. (you know, where people can just click on the link and it takes them to what you want them to see?)

Last edited on 8/19/2013

http://s794.photobucket.com/user/donnaroe/slideshow/Fall%202103%20Sideboard/Fall%202013%20Sideboard Rosehills photos

Rosehill,

After I went into your photobucket pictures, I right clicked on the very top of the screen where it gives the webaddy and clicked copy then came in here and clicked paste and it looks like it will be able to click right into your account. I was not in your photobucket account but where you can put in any website to got into it. That is what I clicked on and copied. Hope this makes sense to you. At least you can get them into PB, I haven't tried again since last year to try to get my pictures in there. Going to tackle it again sometime when I have time to mess with them.

I'll bet the arrangement you took apart to try the pumpkins on your candlesticks will go back together just fine or even better.

JPC

Last edited on 8/19/2013

Last edited on 8/19/2013

mallemo1376952565.719632 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007Minnesota

Click here for rosehill's Photobucket slideshow.

Oops, sorry JPC and rosehill. You beat me to it!

Last edited on 8/19/2013

Last edited on 8/19/2013

mallemo1376952913.8939632 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007Minnesota

rosehill...I agree with JPC. I think the VPH pumpkins look the best on your pillar holders. I love the Hot Skwash pumpkins but they might be a little too small for the holders. I also love your chinese lantern garland. Where did you find that? It looks very nice. You did a good job!

rosehill1376961249.4573180 PostsRegistered 10/30/2007
On 8/19/2013 mallemo said:

Ok, I could not remember if you found pumpkins last year from TJ Maxx or HomeGoods. So you do know what those look like and the size. The two velvet pumpkins I received from the Etsy seller are way smaller than those from TJM and HG. I will try and post a photo later of them side by side just so you have an idea. The Etsy seller's pumpkins would be perfect for candlesticks since you don't really need them to be formed but to just sit there. You are also right about the velvet quality. The pumpkins from TJM and HG are no where near the quality of Hot Skwash. You just want to lay down and roll around on their velvet! I'm jealous of your Hot Skwash gift as they are gorgeous! One of these days I'm going to collect a few when I can afford the extra investment. I did love that display that whitelinen posted. Loved the sign too. I had also asked the Etsy seller about larger sizes and she told me the same thing. Plush Plus also looks like they have nice pumpkins but not inexpensive. Last year I went to a local craft show that is huge. I could not believe there was not one crafter there selling velvet pumpkins. They are missing the boat on that one!

That is very strange, Mallemo, about the huge craft show last year not having any sellers with velvet pumpkins. Do you plan to go this year? You could check again to see if anyone jumped on the bandwagon. I get someone will!

LOL about your comment about the velvet on the Hot Skwash! Yes, it would feel good to roll around on it! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Last edited on 8/19/2013

Last edited on 8/19/2013

rosehill1376961475.033180 PostsRegistered 10/30/2007
On 8/19/2013 Luv2Decorate said:

I bought these from a lady on etsy and she uses real pumpkin vines. They are really nice!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/159068299/3-velvet-pumpkins-with-real-dried?ref=shop_home_active

Very pretty, Luv2decorate, and very interesting stems!

rosehill1376961745.513180 PostsRegistered 10/30/2007

rosehill,

JPC

Last edited on 8/19/2013

http://s794.photobucket.com/user/donnaroe/slideshow/Fall%202103%20Sideboard/Fall%202013%20Sideboard Rosehills photos

Rosehill,

After I went into your photobucket pictures, I right clicked on the very top of the screen where it gives the webaddy and clicked copy then came in here and clicked paste and it looks like it will be able to click right into your account. I was not in your photobucket account but where you can put in any website to got into it. That is what I clicked on and copied. Hope this makes sense to you. At least you can get them into PB, I haven't tried again since last year to try to get my pictures in there. Going to tackle it again sometime when I have time to mess with them.

I'll bet the arrangement you took apart to try the pumpkins on your candlesticks will go back together just fine or even better.

JPC

Last edited on 8/19/2013

JPC~ you know waaay more about this stuff than I do. I will try again when I have some time to spend on it. You know, when I had my other computer, I was able to do all of this. I am wondering if things are different with an Apple Computer. My son bought me an Apple for Christmas, and I have gotten used to it, but with stuff like this, I cannot get it to work!

Thanks for making the link "live", JPC! Smile

rosehill1376962383.6633180 PostsRegistered 10/30/2007

rosehill...I agree with JPC. I think the VPH pumpkins look the best on your pillar holders. I love the Hot Skwash pumpkins but they might be a little too small for the holders. I also love your chinese lantern garland. Where did you find that? It looks very nice. You did a good job!

Mallemo, they are too small, aren't they? Out of proportion. They;ll go back to where they were. I found the chinese lantern sprays (they are pretty long-maybe 36", and I folded back the bottom of the stem where there wasn't anything) at a store called Pat Catans. I am pretty sure they are only in Ohio and a few in PA. They were around $6 each and I bought two. I had the summer cherry spray from a trip to Amish country after Christmas last year. I'm glad you like it. I put it up mainly, to see if your velvet pumpkin seller on Etsy had anything that would be the right size. Her pumpkins are too small for the pillar holders, but I really like many of her styles. It really doesn't matter that much how they feel, do you think? More important, is how they look (shape & fabric). Your black and silver ones are stunning.

Just Plain­ Crazy1376969577.7734757 PostsRegistered 7/22/2009

rosehill,

JPC

Last edited on 8/19/2013

Rosehill,

JPC

Last edited on 8/19/2013

JPC~ you know waaay more about this stuff than I do. I will try again when I have some time to spend on it. You know, when I had my other computer, I was able to do all of this. I am wondering if things are different with an Apple Computer. My son bought me an Apple for Christmas, and I have gotten used to it, but with stuff like this, I cannot get it to work!

Thanks for making the link "live", JPC! Smile

You're welcome rosehill. that is about all I know about the computer except how to spend money on it.{#emotions_dlg.laugh} I am really computer challenged when it comes down to it.

Nice Xmas present from your son. Don't know if they are that much different but have heard that they are.

JPC

Just Plain­ Crazy1376969632.2734757 PostsRegistered 7/22/2009

Click here for rosehill's Photobucket slideshow.

Oops, sorry JPC and rosehill. You beat me to it!

Last edited on 8/19/2013

No problem mallemo.

JPC

mallemo1376973357.449632 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007Minnesota

That is very strange, Mallemo, about the huge craft show last year not having any sellers with velvet pumpkins. Do you plan to go this year? You could check again to see if anyone jumped on the bandwagon. I get someone will!

LOL about your comment about the velvet on the Hot Skwash! Yes, it would feel good to roll around on it! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Last edited on 8/19/2013

I might go this year but I was really disappointed with it last year. I did not buy a single thing. Maybe because I was on the hunt for pumpkins and could not imagine there would be none.

mallemo1376973613.379632 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007Minnesota

Mallemo, they are too small, aren't they? Out of proportion. They;ll go back to where they were. I found the chinese lantern sprays (they are pretty long-maybe 36", and I folded back the bottom of the stem where there wasn't anything) at a store called Pat Catans. I am pretty sure they are only in Ohio and a few in PA. They were around $6 each and I bought two. I had the summer cherry spray from a trip to Amish country after Christmas last year. I'm glad you like it. I put it up mainly, to see if your velvet pumpkin seller on Etsy had anything that would be the right size. Her pumpkins are too small for the pillar holders, but I really like many of her styles. It really doesn't matter that much how they feel, do you think? More important, is how they look (shape & fabric). Your black and silver ones are stunning.

We don't have that store but I have heard of them. I'll have to look around for the chinese lanterns as I really like the way they look. There is just something about those Hot Skwash pumpkins and I think I would feel the same way about the Plush Pumpkin brand. They are the best!

desperate-­housewife1378520114.4431483 PostsRegistered 11/8/2004

Have you guys discussed the velvet pumpkins at Hobby Lobby anywhere on the forum? I bought some there today for 40% off and colorwise, they are definitely in the same 'family' as the set of Hot Skwash pumpkins offered on their website (chocolate, burgundy/purple, green, gold, orange), but they use faux stems instead of real ones. Altogether they looked very nice, I thought, but was wondering if they had been discussed anywhere here on the forum that I could read about. Thanks!

whitelinen1378520969.4332840 PostsRegistered 2/16/2009ICU RN

Hi DHW; I checked them out at HL too. I thought they had beautiful colors, the orange and purple shimmer. I am holding out for some pastel colors; really want TQ and grey. I did consider buying a few; they were on sale at a great price compared to some of those online.

The stems are ok, may actually be a better way to go than the real dried stems. Wondering how long the actual stems will stay viable.

Last edited on 9/6/2013

Last edited on 9/6/2013

And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.

(Roald Dahl)

desperate-­housewife1378522046.781483 PostsRegistered 11/8/2004
On 9/6/2013 whitelinen said:

Hi DHW; I checked them out at HL too. I thought they had beautiful colors, the orange and purple shimmer. I am holding out for some pastel colors; really want TQ and grey. I did consider buying a few; they were on sale at a great price compared to some of those online.

The stems are ok, may actually be a better way to go than the real dried stems. Wondering how long the actual stems will stay viable.

Last edited on 9/6/2013

I thought the same thing too, about the stems. At first I thought, well, these aren't the real stems and those seem more desirable, but then I thought that if I was going to invest in the pumpkins, I might would rather have the faux stems over the lifetime of them.

Page 1 of 1