Just-Reduced Clearance
135 Members and 11172 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

Kitchen Countertops From Home Depot?

Started 1371651502.827 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1373776146.263 by adoreqvc

Has anybody used Home Depot for kitchen countertops? If so, what was your experience?

Page 1 of 2
Lonestar B­abs1371653300.54387 PostsRegistered 6/26/2011Dallas, TX

I used them for my kitchen and guest bathroom countertops and had a great experience. Of course, a lot depends on the local staff and crews. I purchased granite for the kitchen and Silestone for the guest bathroom.

Debforal1371654212.953215 PostsRegistered 11/6/2009Edmond, OK

Sheesh! Sorry for the overposting!!! I must have gotten "submit" happy.{#emotions_dlg.blink}

Last edited on 6/19/2013

Last edited on 6/19/2013

60-ish! medium skintone combi skin type. Blue eyes with (color treated) blonde and brunette short hair. Good skin and Good hair!...so far

Debforal1371654216.377215 PostsRegistered 11/6/2009Edmond, OK

Not Home Depot but I used Lowe's and got the quartz countertop. It was beautiful and less expensive. I agree with Babs. It also depends on the installing crew. Mine was super.

60-ish! medium skintone combi skin type. Blue eyes with (color treated) blonde and brunette short hair. Good skin and Good hair!...so far

Debforal1371654219.13215 PostsRegistered 11/6/2009Edmond, OK

Not Home Depot but I used Lowe's and got the quartz countertop. It was beautiful and less expensive. I agree with Babs. It also depends on the installing crew. Mine was super.

Debforal1371654220.387215 PostsRegistered 11/6/2009Edmond, OK

januarybaby1371654554.96128 PostsRegistered 2/6/2010

I used Home Depot for my kitchen remodel, love, love , love my new counter tops. We purchased Quartz, so much less. Wonderful salesman @ Home Depot, great installation crew. Order only took 2 weeks. They did a beautiful job !

JeanLouise­Finch1371659495.0710813 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

We haven't done it yet, but have been thinking about the Silestone for my kitchen. We'll get it eventually, but siding, patio and family room redecorating too presidence. Whatever you do, don't waste your time having the rep come out to sell you on cabinet refacing. What a joke. We did it and the quote was $14,000. We could probably get brand new for half that!

nantucket ­shore1371659987.6075627 PostsRegistered 10/14/2007

I believe you are dealing with local contractors so just asking in general about Home Depot will not get you a correct answer.

I would ask your Home Depot who they actually contract with and do your research based about that person/company.

Are you doing laminate, solid surfacing, granite or tile?

nutmeg31371660149.844809 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ
On 6/19/2013 Debforal said:

I had a formica countertop installed in my home office, great job, but a little pricey. The company they used in my area is http://www.counter-revolution.com/gallery.cfm

sashamatth­ews1371660441.251602 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I had Home Depot quote me on the refacing - my quote was $11,500! That included a new Silestone countertop, but I was floored. I have a small galley kitchen. However, I had two kitchen contractors come in and quote just the countertop in Corian: $4,000 each. I am going to Lowe's. We were talking about this work this morning as we went through the Consumer Reports July 2013 issue on kitchen remodels. If laminate wasn't such a negative in terms of resale, I'd get new laminate. But, as my friend Carol says, "think resale!"

Retired081371660693.3435311 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008 Beautiful Coastal Georgia

Ohhhhh, I think the Silestone is lovely and less maintenance than granite. My daughter has that in her kitchen and it's beautiful.

We have used Home Depot for many projects in our home and have never had a bad experience. Several of the contractors that they use actually work for well known home builders in our area.

It's always a project that needs to be done isn't it? Sometimes I think renting would be better for us. My husband and I are just too old to be trying to maintain a home and yards.

What you put into the lives of others comes back into your own.

lolakimono1371661491.18713310 PostsRegistered 3/29/2012

I have two contractors that I use. One told me a story about HD having to come out THREE different times to install the cabinets/countertops because they hadn't measured properly and couldn't install them. My kitchen remodel is this week, and I purchased things at HD (sink, faucet, tile, backsplash, grout, knobs, pulls, etc.) but my contractor sent me to a company who does kitchen remodels and THEY measured and drew up plans. He's installing the upper cabinets today, and if there is a problem, it is the other company who takes the heat. I would get the supplies from HD or Lowe's and find a kitchen remodel showroom (installers) to do the other parts.

kjohnson1371661607.747987 PostsRegistered 12/15/2011Ohio
On 6/19/2013 nantucket shore said:

I believe you are dealing with local contractors so just asking in general about Home Depot will not get you a correct answer.

I would ask your Home Depot who they actually contract with and do your research based about that person/company.

Are you doing laminate, solid surfacing, granite or tile?

That's correct. Home Deport subcontracts out. We had Corian installed 2 years ago in the kitchen. The only dealings we had with Home Deport was the initial consult/quote, and then signing the contract. All other work including the measurement appointment and the installation was done with the subcontractor. We had a really great local company to work with. But I do know Home Depot will step in if you are having problems with the subcontractor.

We want to do the bathroom countertops in the next year or so, and we were planning on going back to Home Depot again.

vermint1371662025.111366 PostsRegistered 9/5/2007Southeast USA

We had a contractor friend give us recommendations for cabinetmakers, tile installers and an electrician. We went to a store that specializes in countertops for the granite (they have their own installers). The price was WAY less expensive than using Home Depot or Lowes...the cabinets were about 1/2 the price! Everything has turned out beautifully, too.

nutmeg31371678004.1834809 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ
On 6/19/2013 sashamatthews said:

I had Home Depot quote me on the refacing - my quote was $11,500! That included a new Silestone countertop, but I was floored. I have a small galley kitchen. However, I had two kitchen contractors come in and quote just the countertop in Corian: $4,000 each. I am going to Lowe's. We were talking about this work this morning as we went through the Consumer Reports July 2013 issue on kitchen remodels. If laminate wasn't such a negative in terms of resale, I'd get new laminate. But, as my friend Carol says, "think resale!"

Corian is not cheap, and granite may cost less.

sarpy1371681639.971590 PostsRegistered 6/29/2006

We have Corian countertops and just love them. Easy to keep clean.

Anniecamp1371735073.5033788 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Well, here's what happened. We had HD put on a new roof and soffits, and we have been so pleased! They also cleaned the area so well that there wasn't even one stray nail left on the ground.

When we were in the store asking about countertops and sinks, the lady there kept telling me to look at their website. When I told her I'd rather shop in the store, she said that shopping by computer is "the wave of the future"! Then, when we called later that day to ask a quick question, a guy said, "I'm busy, I don't have time". So much for their kitchen department. I'll go to another place.

lolakimono1371735426.33713310 PostsRegistered 3/29/2012
On 6/20/2013 Anniecamp said:

When we were in the store asking about countertops and sinks, the lady there kept telling me to look at their website. When I told her I'd rather shop in the store, she said that shopping by computer is "the wave of the future"!

I placed my entire order online, as many of the items weren't available in store. The customer service desk agent didn't know how to place an online order... so much for the future!

I think it's good to be able to SEE how the colors will work together. When I went to the quarry place to pick out MY slab of granite, I told her I was having anxiety because online the manufacturer's pictures ranged from yellow to gold to pink. I ordered everything else online, so I'm hoping it all comes together nicely.

deja vu1371757068.876180 PostsRegistered 7/9/2007East Coast

We used them to purchase our granite counter tops from the first of this year, I bought my sink from Amazon because HD was sold out of the one I wanted.

Home Depot did subcontract out the work to a local company..I had a small issue where the two pieces that had to be glued together at the seams, where they were placed at....when the guy came out to measure they ended up putting them in a different way than he had told us....

...but I got over it, we got a good price on this granite, and still working on the cabinets now. We have refinished our old cabinets they are very well made solid and go well with the house, so I'm just having frosted ribbed glass inserted into the doors now.

Then the kitchen will be complete, at least with all the major reno of it !!

My advice would be, to be sure and feel confident with whomever they sub it out to.

~ life is short~pick your battles ~

haddon91371757954.8536064 PostsRegistered 10/18/2005Bucks County, Pa
On 6/19/2013 Retired08 said:

Ohhhhh, I think the Silestone is lovely and less maintenance than granite. My daughter has that in her kitchen and it's beautiful.

We have used Home Depot for many projects in our home and have never had a bad experience. Several of the contractors that they use actually work for well known home builders in our area.

It's always a project that needs to be done isn't it? Sometimes I think renting would be better for us. My husband and I are just too old to be trying to maintain a home and yards.

People mention maintenance with granite counters all the time. What maintenance? We've had our granite counters for two years now and the only maintenance is to wipe on granite sealer once a year then wipe it off. Takes a few minutes. Of course one has to wipe them down and clean them like any other counters. Our counters are beautiful and look like new!

We got ours from a local place that does granite counters. You can go into the yard and choose your slab. I'm not sure if Home Depot does that.

luvpoos1371772587.285924 PostsRegistered 5/3/2006Kingston Ma

We went with a quartz counter top from Lowes. Could not be happier. It is beautiful. Looks just like granite but cheaper and more kitchen friendly.

you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, well you just might find, that you get what you need...The Rolling Stones

trinsgigi1371779506.98312 PostsRegistered 4/6/2013

haddon9,

Would you please tell me what sealer you use on your granite?

Thank you,

Judy

ScrapHappy1372102045.827379 PostsRegistered 8/14/2007

We were going to use Home Depot for a kitchen remodel. Had the plans done, we thought. A second person had to come to the house after the plans were draw up and he found that all measurements and cabinets were wrong. Everything was messed up. We went back to the store and when walking in saw the person who drew up the plans and he actually ran in the other direction. We left and never went back.

lolakimono1372105807.7313310 PostsRegistered 3/29/2012

Randomly, the guy who came on Friday to measure my countertops was wearing a Lowe's T-shirt. When I asked him about that (moonlighting) he said he has worked for both HD and Lowe's as their local sub. He said by far Lowe's is more organized and he showed up to install on various HD sites only to have the homeowners say that the color the installers brought wasn't the color/pattern the homeowners had picked out.

janne0011373547414.1276 PostsRegistered 12/21/2012

I used them for bathroom, for coutertop i got it from the RTA store. http://www.thertastore.com

Page 1 of 2