Weekend Preview
179 Members and 11137 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

Spray paint cast aluminum patio furniture??

Started 1370018346.543 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1370115319.843 by Luv2Decorate
replies

I have a cast aluminun outdoor dining table w/8 chairs and I'm thinking of maybe spray painting it for around the pool. Has anyone tried to spray paint cast aluminum?

The furniture has been outside in the elements for 9 years and the finish has begun to dull and to chalk.

I like to spray paint things and I have good luck with the results, but I haven't tried to spray paint cast aluminum.

Any advise or suggestions would be wonderful! Thanks!

God is Great, Beer is Good and People are Crazy.

Page 1 of 1
JeanLouise­Finch1370018970.6511061 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

We've only spray painted an wrought iron patio set, but I bet you would be successful. I'd use Rustoleum on it. Read the can first, to make sure it's OK for your set. I know when we did ours it took lots of cans of paint. Repeated light coats are better than one of two thick coats. It gives better coverage and no drip marks.

ETA - the Rustoleum you need is the kind that gets used for Automotive purpuses, like painting an engine casing.

Last edited on 5/31/2013

Last edited on 5/31/2013

RedTop1370020914.734608 PostsRegistered 9/1/2010

My suggestion is don't waste your time painting it, as I don't think paint bonds well, or holds up well, to a cast aluminum surface, without special treatment such as "baking" the finish. My parents bought a very nice set of cast aluminum patio furniture many years ago (40+ years), and although it was put in the basement during the fall and winter, and only brought out in late spring and summer, it wasn't long before there were changes to the finish. My Mom wanted to use spray paint on it, and my Dad immediately talked her out of that idea. However, she used to buy a bottle of gel based cleaner that would clean and brighten the finish. It never restored to the original look, but it kept the finish protected, and Mom is still using this same furniture to this day on her covered front porch. She has had the cushions recovered, but the frames are still in great condition. Mom is so glad she did not paint this furniture, as it would have had to have been sanded and repainted several times by now, which would have been a major chore.

Last edited on 5/31/2013

Last edited on 5/31/2013

whitelinen1370027132.7973367 PostsRegistered 2/16/2009ICU RN
Luv I have a set I want to paint too. I have an Annie Sloan paint stockist here in my town--finally--and I intend to talk to her about painting my set with chalk paint. Maybe spray it w a marine urethane finish.

And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.

(Roald Dahl)

Luv2Decora­te1370092618.5536417 PostsRegistered 5/2/2008Floating on Lake Michigan

All 3 of you addressed my thoughts and concerns. Isn't that funny?!?!

I was thinking about Rustoleum because its so durable and not expensive. However, I'm concerned about it chipping.

Whitelinen, let me know what you find out. My set is is decorative and I think it would look really nice painted, however I don't want to waste my time and money. I'm thinking the paint would adhere nicely because the surface of the table and chairs isn't smooth and glossy. It's dull.

whitelinen1370104736.6433367 PostsRegistered 2/16/2009ICU RN
On 6/1/2013 Luv2Decorate said:

All 3 of you addressed my thoughts and concerns. Isn't that funny?!?!

I was thinking about Rustoleum because its so durable and not expensive. However, I'm concerned about it chipping.

Whitelinen, let me know what you find out. My set is is decorative and I think it would look really nice painted, however I don't want to waste my time and money. I'm thinking the paint would adhere nicely because the surface of the table and chairs isn't smooth and glossy. It's dull.

I'm going to try and see her this week; want to pick up some Provence paint. Also want to show her my new French Country pillow:

Pillow French Royal 20 Inches

20" fabulous quality and service from an Etsy vendor, shop is called Wordgarden.

Will let you know what she says, providing I get there this week!

Last edited on 6/1/2013

Last edited on 6/1/2013

And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.

(Roald Dahl)

Luv2Decora­te1370115319.8436417 PostsRegistered 5/2/2008Floating on Lake Michigan

Don't you just love Etsy?!? It's the coolest place to go and find unique things. I am always happy to buy someones wares. Some people have so much talent :)

Page 1 of 1