TSV(R) Preview
106 Members and 14683 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

Best vacuum cleaner for soft carpets

Started 1367064313.067 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1371405539.1 by EastBeauty

I currently have a light-weight Electrolux Aures upright vacuum cleaner. I don't have room to store a canister vacuum cleaner, and I can't physically handle a heavy-weight vacuum cleaner.

I need to replace my living room/dining room wall-to-wall carpeting. It's hard to push my vacuum cleaner over the carpet samples I've brought home. The carpeting I like the best is a soft carpet (Tigressa, Charmingly Soft). I could run my vacuum cleaner over my own carpet just fine, but when I ran it over the carpet samples, it was hard to push my vacuum cleaner, and it left lines on the carpet. I don't have great strength in my arm, so I suppose I need to look for another carpet or get a different vacuum cleaner.

Can any of you recommend a vacuum cleaner that works best for the new, soft carpets? Or can any of you recommend the best, reasonably priced, but nice carpeting for a living room/dining room (that's easy to vacuum)?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Page 1 of 1
JeanLouise­Finch1367066958.2211046 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

We have a Shark Navigator Lift-Away (the purple one). It's easy to maneuver, has great suction, and really picks up the dog hair! Check out the reviews on Amazon. If/when it ever konks out, I'd probably replace it with another, maybe the white "professional" one (they didn't have that one when we bought ours).

msmoxie1367067227.9972059 PostsRegistered 9/4/2012

I love my shark navigator. I use it on area rugs as well as on my wood floors. If you have pets you will love this. I upgraded to the shark navigator which was on easy pay a few months ago. I love all the tools and if you have pets you will love it. It gets all their pet hair up like nothing you have ever have had. V31639

http://images-p.qvc.com/is/image/v/39/v31639.001?$uslarge$

I got it on easy pay which was convenient for me at the time. It is still being offered.

Easy Pay! 5 Installments of $37.20, plus Tax and S & H

Good until April 27, 2013 10:59 p.m. ET

See S&H and Easy Pay details

Last edited on 4/27/2013

Last edited on 4/27/2013

Always believe some thing wonderful is about to happen

JeanLouise­Finch1367067794.92311046 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

msmoxie....now why did you go and tempt me like that???

msmoxie1367067892.32059 PostsRegistered 9/4/2012
On 4/27/2013 JeanLouiseFinch said:

{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

JeanLouise­Finch1367068483.44311046 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011
On 4/27/2013 msmoxie said:

{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Once I get an idea/need in my head, I have no problem convincing myself how to get it and make it work....we can keep the purple one in the garage, for the cars, and have the white one for the house. And after all, with this new dog of ours we have lots more hair than we ever had with the cats. This will definitely be a discussion over breakfast once DH decides to get up. I'll bet he goes for it, too, because I'm a good saleslady! tee-hee {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Last edited on 4/27/2013

Last edited on 4/27/2013

msmoxie1367068928.7972059 PostsRegistered 9/4/2012

{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Once I get an idea/need in my head, I have no problem convincing myself how to get it and make it work....we can keep the purple one in the garage, for the cars, and have the white one for the house. And after all, with this new dog of ours we have lots more hair than we ever had with the cats. This will definitely be a discussion over breakfast once DH decides to get up. I'll bet he goes for it, too, because I'm a good saleslady! tee-hee {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Last edited on 4/27/2013

The easy pay will clinch it. There isn't any finance charges on it. My daughter cleans my house once a week (I pay her). And she loves it. The tools allow her to clean the fans and the dirt container is much bigger than the purple one.

What kind of dog did you get?

JeanLouise­Finch1367069256.7711046 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Last edited on 4/27/2013

The easy pay will clinch it. There isn't any finance charges on it. My daughter cleans my house once a week (I pay her). And she loves it. The tools allow her to clean the fans and the dirt container is much bigger than the purple one.

We have a 1 yr. old Golden Retriever - big time shedder.

I'll give DH the easy pay option, but Kohl's has the same one on sale right now for $219.99 and I have a 30% off code, plus they'll ship for free.

msmoxie1367069571.4032059 PostsRegistered 9/4/2012

{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Last edited on 4/27/2013

We have a 1 yr. old Golden Retriever - big time shedder.

I'll give DH the easy pay option, but Kohl's has the same one on sale right now for $219.99 and I have a 30% off code, plus they'll ship for free.

Cool, that sounds like a better deal. I think you will really like it. I have three dogs. A Springer cocker mix, a shitzu-bichon mix, and a llaso mix with we are not he is mixed with, so we have a lot of dog hair to deal with it. And this vacuum picks it all up. My son has a golden retriver. She is a year old and is almost as tall as my 9 year old grandson, just kidding. She is so loveable.

blondegirl1367071516.251786 PostsRegistered 7/21/2006

the recent TSV shark is very heavy so you may want to go to a store and test that. I love it but it is a tad difficult to push when used as an upright. Most vacuums put "lines" on carpets that I have used because they groom as they go. I would get the carpet first and make sure your current vacuum does not work, unless you are just looking to get a new vacuum :)

Lyn081367072178.732218 PostsRegistered 7/30/2008

Do any of you have experience with these new "soft" carpets? I know that vacuum cleaners can leave lines on carpets, but it was a real chore to push my upright Electrolux vacuum cleaner through the carpet sample, even with the highest setting (it only has 2 settings). The last time I bought carpet for my living room was 23 years ago. I currently have a Karastan carpet, and it worked well for me for many years, but it needs to be replaced now. I like my vacuum cleaner otherwise, for my current carpeting.

Maybe I do need to replace my vacuum cleaner, or there's something wrong with it.

Lyn081367242545.5572218 PostsRegistered 7/30/2008

Do any of you own the Oreck Magnesium vacuum cleaner that was a TSV? I read several reviews on QVC.com, and most of them are positive. However, I don't know how well it works on thick carpet.

There is an Oreck store not far from where I live. I may bring the carpet sample to the store and have them demonstrate the vacuum cleaner for me, and let me try using it on the carpet sample.

Of course, my current carpet is over 23 years old, and is matted in several areas, so I don't have problems using my Electrolux on that carpet.

Andrewsgra­ndma1367256218.623730 PostsRegistered 9/2/2006Phx

Another vote for the shark lift away, purple vacuum. We replaced our bedroom carpet with a really plush, long freize. I could barely push my old vacuum accross it. It took both hands and all my might. I'm pretty strong too. I bought the shark because reviews are so good. Works like a charm. It's very light , glides accross the carpet and the suction is great. I have several dogs, so a lot of hair. The only thing I don't like is the design of the canister. I frequently have to put my hand in to dislodge the hair, kinda annoying. Other than that, I am really happy with this vac.

Lyn081367264675.6932218 PostsRegistered 7/30/2008

Well, I brought the carpet sample to the Oreck store, and I tried out the Magnesium (there is a newer, more expensive model that swivels, has 2 side brushes, 2 floor settings, and the on/off switch on the handle). Both models worked well on my carpet sample, but I like the features of the newer model better. The older model was slightly easier to push, but nothing like my current vacuum cleaner (that pulls up the carpet and leaves deep vacuum lines).

I called the Electrolux salesman, and he is stopping out tomorrow afternoon to check to see if there is something that needs to be adjusted on my vacuum cleaner. Hope I don't have to buy a new vacuum cleaner, as the one I own I've only had 3 years.

EastBeauty1371405539.091 PostsRegistered 6/16/2013

I have Dyson, Shark and my favourite Miele. Very satisfied, I clean once a week. If you need some help picking a good vacuum, right here you can find the best.

Page 1 of 1