Better Than Black Friday
15 Members and 15333 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

My Pillow--help please with deciding on firm versus medium

Started 1364260506.327 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1364371943.743 by curiousshopper

I want to try My Pillow, but haven't ordered yet because I can't seem to make up my mind as to which density level would be best for me--medium (white) or firm (green). I know that, generally, the white level is recommended for women, but I think the green would actually be better for me since I'm a side sleeper and have been using two pillows for quite a while. The My Pillow people also think I would be happier with the green one.

I plan to order the queen-sized pillow that has the 2-inch gusset (not the original standard size that QVC first offered that doesn't have a gusset), and hope to pick the right firmness level to avoid having to pay to ship it back. So, could those of you who own these help me out by describing the thickness (in inches) of both the white and the green pillows, and also, whether the green one (the firm level) feels fairly solid, or, hopefully, has enough "give" to still let my head sink down somewhat. Thanks everyone!

Page 1 of 1
luvie1364276843.19785 PostsRegistered 7/9/2005

isn't it confusing? i bought the regular size w/o the gusset on the Q in firm.... i like it but i wish is were a larger pillow...a queen size! when i went to the product site all i got was more confused! i think i'm going to try a green firm one also...i wish i could get it here as i'm not sure i will like the gusset and it's so easy to return here... i keep putting it off because i can't figure out what to do.... luvie

curioussho­pper1364278447.5261 PostsRegistered 12/22/2010

Luvie--You stated that you would like to try a "green firm one" too, but you've already tried that one. The "firm" you bought on QVC should be the same density as the green level bought directly from My Pillow's site. You just would have liked a queen size instead of the standard size sold on here. If you still want to get a queen size, QVC is now selling 3 sizes: king, queen, and standard. King and queen are gusseted. Standard can now be bought in either the gusseted form or non-gusseted. All sizes give you the choice of firm (green on My Pillow's site) or medium (white on My Pillow's site).

curioussho­pper1364278953.803261 PostsRegistered 12/22/2010

Luvie--I forgot to add that the queen size pillow sold on the Q is 20" x 30", whereas the one sold on My Pillow's website is actually listed as the combo size of standard/queen--not just queen. According to their measurements, it is 18.5" x 28".

ILikeShade1364280133.4777924 PostsRegistered 4/20/2012

I ordered both (from Qvc non gusseted) and initially felt that the firm was best for me but then after about a week I started to feel a stiffness in my shoulder so I tried the medium and have not switched back. I fall asleep very quickly now and sleep all the way through the night...no more stiff shoulders or stiff neck.

JeanLouise­Finch1364280517.88711411 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

curiousshopper - We bought the MyPillows from QVC last fall on a TSV. I love the comfort and quality of sleep I get with it, but am a little honked that the Q offers bigger, gusseted pillows now because my only gripe about the ones I purchased is that they're a little small for a larger bed. I was in a little bit of a quandry myself on the who man pillow vs. woman's pillow. I'm also a side sleeper, for the most part, and would always use two pillows before. I ended up choosing the "man's" pillow (firm) and my DH chose the "woman's" (medium) for himself.

curioussho­pper1364281674.83261 PostsRegistered 12/22/2010

Foundinlv and JeanLouiseFinch--Thanks for your responses!

JeanLouiseFinch--Since you use the firm pillow, could you tell me whether it has some "give" to it? In other words, can your head sink down into it, or is it too firm for that? Also, since you have both sizes in your home, could you possibly give me the measurements of the thicknesses of both the medium and the firm? I'd really apprectiate it. Thanks!

luvie1364283477.15785 PostsRegistered 7/9/2005
On 3/26/2013 curiousshopper said:

Luvie--You stated that you would like to try a "green firm one" too, but you've already tried that one. The "firm" you bought on QVC should be the same density as the green level bought directly from My Pillow's site. You just would have liked a queen size instead of the standard size sold on here. If you still want to get a queen size, QVC is now selling 3 sizes: king, queen, and standard. King and queen are gusseted. Standard can now be bought in either the gusseted form or non-gusseted. All sizes give you the choice of firm (green on My Pillow's site) or medium (white on My Pillow's site).

well thank you! for some reason the charts on their website did not make that clear to me...i love my firm regular size! i just need it a bit larger and i think the gussets might give me shoulder problems... so i'm set! i'll just buy the queen firm here! i don't feel the pillow is overly firm at all....for others that wondered....yes, your head sink down into it a bit and it conforts your shoulders. i am going to try and wash/dry mine very soon to see how they hold up. that was one of their best attributes i thought......luvie

curioussho­pper1364290367.253261 PostsRegistered 12/22/2010

Luvie--Glad to help. I forget who told me that QVC's firm was the same as My Pillow's website's green and QVC's medium was the same as M.P.'s white (I think it was during a call I made to the My Pillow company), but that was my understanding of it. If you need to confirm, just call them up.

Like you, I wonder if the gussets might bother me, but if I get the queen size, I won't have any choice about it. Whether you buy the queen pillows on here or from the M.P. site, they're going to have gussets. The standard size (on here, at least--I don't know about on the M.P. site) is the only one that gives you a choice about whether to have a gusset or not.

Glad to hear that you're happy with the firm and that your head does, indeed, sink down into it. I really wanted to know about that. Thanks so much for letting me know.

gardenman1364295547.45317205 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

When in doubt I'd go with the firmer model and assume it will get softer with use. I've found that with most pillows they'll start out firmer and then get softer over time. I've yet to find one that gets firmer. A new pillow I bought maybe six months ago is now too soft for me and will be replaced next weekend. It was great when new, but now it is just too soft for me. I think you need a Goldilocks type group of people where the one who likes the firmest pillow gets it brand new, then as it softens over time it gets passed down the line until it ends up with the person who likes the least firm pillow.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

JeanLouise­Finch1364300010.27311411 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011
On 3/26/2013 curiousshopper said:

Foundinlv and JeanLouiseFinch--Thanks for your responses!

JeanLouiseFinch--Since you use the firm pillow, could you tell me whether it has some "give" to it? In other words, can your head sink down into it, or is it too firm for that? Also, since you have both sizes in your home, could you possibly give me the measurements of the thicknesses of both the medium and the firm? I'd really apprectiate it. Thanks!

The firm gives me excellent support, yet it cradles my head. My head sinks down slightly, but not so much as to where I've got too much pillow coming up around it. It's not like there's a hard pillow and my neck is strained to keep my head on top of it, if you get my drift. Depending on if you want to go to sleep on your side or lay on your pillow to watch some tv or do some reading, you plump and f-luff accordingly (sorry I had to hyphenate. would you believe this site wouldn't allow that word?). If I want my pillow to be a little looser/flatter, I just shake it out and lay it down. If I'm going to lay on my back to watch tv, I will push it in at the top and bottom before laying down. If I'm going to sleep and want it to support my head with enough lift to keep my neck and spine in allignment, then and push in the sides of the pillow before laying my head down. You can do that with both pillows, but there is an obvious difference in the amount of "head sinkage" and support between the two. The pillows are not marked, but when changing the bedding it's easy to tell the difference because I can feel the amount of fill in each of them is different.

One thing you might take into consideration, too, is the size of your own body. If you are a taller or larger build, I'd definitely recommend the firm because your build could have some bearing on how your head rests on the pillow. A larger body size could make one's head raise higher and require more support when on one's side than that of someone who is average or of a smaller build. On the mypillow dot com site there is a chart with recommendations based on your body (t-shirt) size.

Q2girl1364300281.0971705 PostsRegistered 1/3/2012
I have a water pillow that is absolutely heaven. It doesn't feel cold or hot and I can make it form or soft. I bought it from my chiropractor for $60.00.

VaBelle351364302815.7039712 PostsRegistered 11/19/2004VA suburbs of Washington, DC

Did you watch the video on the MyPillow website? I thought the video was more informative for me.

I sized down because I am used to sleeping on feather pillows, so I have the lowest version they sell on their website. I think that's white or yellow. I can't remember.

QVC Shopper since 1993

curioussho­pper1364371943.743261 PostsRegistered 12/22/2010

Thanks everyone for sharing with me. It's very much appreciated!

Gardenman--I got a laugh out of your "Goldilocks" idea for passing along pillows. What a great way to save people money if we could actually do it.

JeanLouiseFinch--Thanks so much for going into such detail about your personal experiences with this pillow. That was very helpful. You mentioned body size being a factor. Well, I'm only 5 feet tall, so based on my size, the white level should be the one for me. However, I like to have my head elevated somewhat, which is why I currently sleep on two pillows. Actually I should say about 1 1/2 pillows--my top pillow usually ends up half way slid off from the bottom pillow by the time I wake up. Anyway, I feel very uncomfortable if my head is level with my body, even though that's apparently how it should be to be properly aligned. So, to get that little lift, I am going to go ahead with the green (firm) and hope that, if it is a little too much for me, it will soften up over time just as Gardenman says it no doubt will. But from your decription, I think it will be just fine for me. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 1