Christmas in July(R) Sale
134 Members and 11778 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

Best flooring for kitchen and entry way

Started 1362790067.217 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1363726505.967 by ive been framed

Other than ceramic or porcelain tile, what would you consider the best flooring for a kitchen and entry way? I don't want anything too hard in the kitchen (which is very small, only 8x10), as I have arthritis in my back and knees.

I currently have defective engineered floating wood flooring that needs to be replaced.

Page 1 of 2
happy hous­ewife1362790452.75329844 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
I am really liking the new vinyl tiles that look exactly like wood.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

IamMrsG1362797339.3271733 PostsRegistered 8/19/2008

We will be installing new flooring in our foyer, kitchen, laundry room and baths. I'm seriously considering cork, and would be interested in any opinions, pro or con, on that material.

luvpoos1362831526.2675608 PostsRegistered 5/3/2006Kingston Ma

We did our kitchen floor over last year. We decided to go with a high grade armstong vinyl that looks like 12" square tiles. We did not want tile as it is hard and cold under foot. We are so happy with our choice and so easy to keep clean. Some people have actually bent over to feel it to see if it was tile. I love it. Good luck, it's so to decide on an expensive purchase. Bring home many samples, it too me about a month to make a decision.

Last edited on 3/9/2013

Last edited on 3/9/2013

you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, well you just might find, that you get what you need...The Rolling Stones

Lyn081362835961.8432040 PostsRegistered 7/30/2008

luvpoos, can you tell me the name of the armstrong vinyl that you purchased? Did you buy it from a "big box" store, or did you buy it and have it installed through a flooring store?

I like wood, but I'm just concerned about getting the same type engineered wood flooring I had installed 8 years ago, that's defective now (some of the boards are separating, and some are popping up -- a good 1/4" on one board).

I live in a condo that's typical apartment style, with a T-type hallway. My kitchen has doorways from the hallway and from the livingroom. The hallway extends down past the den to the guest vanity. That entire area has engineered maple wood flooring, and maple baseboards. So I need a flooring that will look really nice, as it can be seen from all the rooms in my condo (except for the master bath).

Last edited on 3/9/2013

Last edited on 3/9/2013

namealread­ytaken1362837066.6577660 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009

Lyn08, engineered hardwood floors from 8-10 were, unfortunately not very good and there were dealers who were not qualified to install them and their floors did what yours are doing. You say the business that did yours went belly up or disappeared. Wonder why? Well, not every place if the same. Find a good one and get them done and by all means, be sure you do not wet mop. Use the swiffer type mops designed for engineered hardwood, or otherwise, they will do the same thing yours have done.

webappq11362837150.2231587 PostsRegistered 11/12/2012

going for vinyle tyles is a good idea

FunkySmily

Lonestar B­abs1362837520.91387 PostsRegistered 6/26/2011Dallas, TX

Take a look at Congoleum's DuraCeramic product line. Made in USA, too!

loveac1362840350.543487 PostsRegistered 8/23/2007
Just had Armstrong luxury vinyl tile laid down in my kitchen....I love it! I got it from a local store. You would never think it's a vinyl tile. Bring up the Armstrong website and do a search for luxury vinyl tile. I got the alterna Durango deep gold, a caramel color. I've gotten so many compliments on it. Good luck...I know it's a big decision!

Lyn081362840450.4272040 PostsRegistered 7/30/2008

namealreadytaken, you may be right that the flooring was not properly installed, but some of the boards that were fused together have also cracked (each board is 2-strip, 8' long and about 8" wide, with several individual strips fused together).

I've never wet mopped my floors. I've only vacuumed (with the floor setting), or wiped up spills or dirt spots with a well-wrung-out cloth, and dried immediately. The area where the boards have popped up the most are covered by a runner and a pad specifically designed to use over wood floors. I didn't know there was a problem, until I felt a lump under the rug, lifted up the rug and pad, and saw that 2 boards had raised up about 1/4" . With the rug in place, at least I can't trip on the flooring.

It's very frustrating that both the store I bought the flooring from and the manufacturer of the flooring are out of business. The home remodeling company filed for bankruptcy. So I'm completely out of luck.

namealread­ytaken1362840915.4277660 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009
On 3/9/2013 Lyn08 said:

namealreadytaken, you may be right that the flooring was not properly installed, but some of the boards that were fused together have also cracked (each board is 2-strip, 8' long and about 8" wide, with several individual strips fused together).

I've never wet mopped my floors. I've only vacuumed (with the floor setting), or wiped up spills or dirt spots with a well-wrung-out cloth, and dried immediately. The area where the boards have popped up the most are covered by a runner and a pad specifically designed to use over wood floors. I didn't know there was a problem, until I felt a lump under the rug, lifted up the rug and pad, and saw that 2 boards had raised up about 1/4" . With the rug in place, at least I can't trip on the flooring.

It's very frustrating that both the store I bought the flooring from and the manufacturer of the flooring are out of business. The home remodeling company filed for bankruptcy. So I'm completely out of luck.

Lyn, I was not inferring that you did anything wrong. I was just saying get someone good, do what I do by using the swiffers, easy and works good and you should be fine. No, they did not put your floors down right. Oh, dear. Do be careful and don't fall on that buckling wood.

I bet they had a lot of lawsuits and had to go out of business.

thisbe1362842116.61125 PostsRegistered 6/8/2006

I suggest you look at Congoleum's DuraCeramic. It's top ranked by Consumer Reports over all other types of flooring. I put it in my kitchen to replace ceramic tiles. It's easy on the feet/legs and easy to take care of. It's not slippery when wet which is a welcome difference after having ceramic tiles.

luvpoos1362842715.0835608 PostsRegistered 5/3/2006Kingston Ma
On 3/9/2013 Lyn08 said:

luvpoos, can you tell me the name of the armstrong vinyl that you purchased? Did you buy it from a "big box" store, or did you buy it and have it installed through a flooring store?

I like wood, but I'm just concerned about getting the same type engineered wood flooring I had installed 8 years ago, that's defective now (some of the boards are separating, and some are popping up -- a good 1/4" on one board).

I live in a condo that's typical apartment style, with a T-type hallway. My kitchen has doorways from the hallway and from the livingroom. The hallway extends down past the den to the guest vanity. That entire area has engineered maple wood flooring, and maple baseboards. So I need a flooring that will look really nice, as it can be seen from all the rooms in my condo (except for the master bath).

Last edited on 3/9/2013

I can't remember the exact name but it was through Lowes. The sales associate was very informative and patient with me. They do sub-contract their jobs, but it just so happened that my best friends son is an installer for them, I found this out after the fact. He did a fantastic job. I have hard wood flooring through out my house and tile in the bahrooms. I did not want wood in the kitchen. We have three dogs and grandchildren, our kitchen takes a lot of abuse. Just bring home many samples and live with them for a few days. It's a big decision. Have you looked into Pergo, my neighbors did that and it looks really nice.

you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, well you just might find, that you get what you need...The Rolling Stones

luvpoos1362842715.825608 PostsRegistered 5/3/2006Kingston Ma
On 3/9/2013 Lyn08 said:

Last edited on 3/9/2013

I can't remember the exact name but it was through Lowes. The sales associate was very informative and patient with me. They do sub-contract their jobs, but it just so happened that my best friends son is an installer for them, I found this out after the fact. He did a fantastic job. I have hard wood flooring through out my house and tile in the bahrooms. I did not want wood in the kitchen. We have three dogs and grandchildren, our kitchen takes a lot of abuse. Just bring home many samples and live with them for a few days. It's a big decision. Have you looked into Pergo, my neighbors did that and it looks really nice.

babyb1362846159.324635 PostsRegistered 12/3/2006SD

I see several have already mentioned this, but my vote is for Dura Ceramic, also. I know you were not crazy about ceramic tiles, but this is just different. It has some give to it and is not a hard cold tile floor at all. So many colors to choose from, too. We put it in our kitchen, dining room, bathrooms and entry ways when we did our remodel and we love love love it! Our installer did a pinwheel pattern in our kitchen/dining room area, I believe that is what it is called. He varied the size of the tile and that also adds to the eye appeal. I am thrilled with the color we chose as it disguises crumbs!!!!!!!!

Last edited on 3/9/2013

Last edited on 3/9/2013

Lyn081362847281.4632040 PostsRegistered 7/30/2008

I have DuraCeramic tiles (16") in both bathrooms, that were installed 2 years ago, after I had a shower put in my master bathroom. They look much like ceramic flooring, and I even had grout added. I'm just uncertain if I should go with the DuraCeramic or get engineered flooring again. If it was just my kitchen, I'd probably go with the DuraCeramic. But I'm not sure it would look nice coming out into the livingroom area.

I was going to see if I could get someone to glue down the boards that have raised up. I have extra boards, but to have the 2 bad boards replaced, I would need the wood molding also removed in a large area of my hallway, several boards removed and reinstalled when new boards are added, and the wood molding reinstalled. Then there are other areas in my kitchen where the wood is starting to split a bit or pull away, so it might not be worthwhile to have the repair work done.

Frannie1362848260.6671974 PostsRegistered 9/27/2006

I have Pergo brand laminate flooring in my kitchen and entry - love it. Very easy to clean with my Haan steamer. I've had it about 15 years - it looks great.

annabellet­hecat1362848315.2712955 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006

I have bad arthritis too. I agree to keep using soft flooring! My daughters both have totally tiled and hardwood floors. After a few hours there my knees are killing me. Not to mention my back!!

stevieb1362848615.3327250 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007

I like stone or slate tiles, but if you don't want to go there, I still think vinyl flooring makes sense in the kitchen and there are some very appealing options. It also works in the foyer, but since it's the 'introduction' to one's home and tends not to be a large expanse of floor, I'd probably opt for some sort of more natural material.

Lyn0813628545272040 PostsRegistered 7/30/2008

I forgot to mention, that I have maple cabinets and a large solid maple butcherblock table (that I bought from a kitchen store that was going out of business) in my kitchen. I have maple engineered wood flooring now.

Do you have any suggestions on flooring that would look good with the maple I have in my kitchen?

nutmeg31362862392.7974557 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ

I have Bruce prefinished hardwood from the big box stores, in my kitchen, The OP may want to look into cork.

Lyn081363116396.162040 PostsRegistered 7/30/2008

A salesman at a flooring store recommended Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring (that looks like wood) for my kitchen and hallway. I live in an older condo, so I don't want to spend a lot of money on flooring, but want something that looks really nice and is easy to keep clean. Do any of you have this type of flooring? If so, how has it held up for you? Thanks.

springers1363118742.9476717 PostsRegistered 8/27/2008so cal

Lyn, How do you like the maple cabinets now with maple flooring? The reason I went with painted cabinets is our maple laminate. I was concerned it would be too much for a small space. I would bring samples home.

I read you have engineered wood flooring now? engineered is that fabricated so you cant refinish? How have those held up?

Last edited on 3/12/2013

Last edited on 3/12/2013

Whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, or praiseworthy-think on these things.

Lyn081363126711.0532040 PostsRegistered 7/30/2008

springers, I like maple flooring with my maple cabinets. I probably would like a darker wood to contrast with the maple cabinets, but my hallway is quite dark.

I have defective engineered wood flooring that was manufactured by Witex. That company is no longer in business. I've had this flooring less than 8 years, and the wood is buckling, and the strips are popping up or delaminating (fused strips coming apart). There was a 25 year warranty on the flooring, but it doesn't do me much good when the company is no longer in business.

A salesman brought out samples of Luxury Vinyl flooring. We decided that will not work for me, because I would need to replace the wallpaper in my kitchen and hallway (I paid way too much for the wallpaper in my hallway to replace it -- bought it from a decorator). The vinyl flooring needs to be glued down, and it's only about 1/16" thick. My current flooring is about 1/2" thick (1/8" maple over pine) above a pad (floating floor). The wallpaper comes down only about 1/2" below the maple baseboards (that were installed when I had the maple flooring installed).

This is SO frustrating.

Me And My ­Shadow1363131917.381087 PostsRegistered 1/8/2009

Keeping my eye on this thread, as I have plans to replace our kitchen flooring....My husband isn't aware of this yet!....LOL

Thanks for posting this!

JeanLouise­Finch1363139959.8310180 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011
On 3/9/2013 Lonestar Babs said:

Take a look at Congoleum's DuraCeramic product line. Made in USA, too!

We put these in our kitchen last summer and love them! It really enhanced the look of the kitchen. We shopped locally, but then I found a place online that had better prices. The day of delivery, a freight carrier pulled up and lowered a big palette off his truck that contained everything. Easy as pie.

Page 1 of 2