TSV(R) Preview
111 Members and 9488 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

Luminara Votives - What Do You Think?

Started 1360264468.753 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1360697055.61 by Marsha2003

I was surprised and pleased to receive my order of Luminara votives today, only 10 days after I ordered them. What I didn't take into consideration is that the flame of the Luminara would be higher than the edge of a tea light holder. I know, I know...votive vs. tea light...my mistake. Anyway, I recorded two 7-second videos of the Luminara votive in a tea light holder sitting side-by-side the same holder with a standard battery-operated tea light in it. One video shows them with the lights on, one with the lights off. I would really like to hear your opinions of which you prefer. Thanks.

Video 1

Video 2

Page 1 of 1
Nonie Lee1360276008.19579 PostsRegistered 10/22/2008North of Cincinnati

Not loving it in the tea light holder, but do think they would be awesome in a votive. Sorry {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

springers1360276270.1136771 PostsRegistered 8/27/2008so cal

I am not a fan of the dancing wick. (still looks faux) Sorry, I know a lot of fans out there. But I prefer the glow of CI. votive's. I have CI votives in a hanging tea light holder and each votive gives off a warm glow.

thanks for the video, very nice to see them in "person"

Last edited on 2/7/2013

Last edited on 2/7/2013

Whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, or praiseworthy-think on these things.

onlineshopr1360276966.373714 PostsRegistered 6/12/2005

I like the way the b/o tealight illuminates the holder better than the Luminara votive. However, I would guess that the b/o tealight has the ugly bulb and a fast flicker. I say that from my own experience, not from your videos. My two cents, which probably doesn't help at all. I think I would have to see them in person to form an opinion on which I truly liked better.

You have me wondering if Luminara will even be able to make a tealight. I recall the rep saying that the mechanism had to be reworked in order to fit into a votive...

Marsha20031360342794.8534580 PostsRegistered 10/31/2007
Onlineshopr, I think it would be really hard to make a tea light based on how little empty space is left in the votives. I'm still on the fence about keeping the votives. It's interesting how few responses I received when asking for an opinion.

mallemo1360347764.08310037 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007Minnesota

Hey Marsha2003. I watched the two videos and I guess I would say that I prefer the look of the battery operated tea light. I only have one Luminara candle and I love it especially in the lantern that it seems to be in most of the time. I would not mind trying the set of Luminara votives but the cost was a factor for me. I wanted to read reviews first too before taking the plunge. I also want to try one of the Mirage candles from CI and see how they compare to the Luminara. What have you decided to do?

Chalet1360348764.127502 PostsRegistered 2/3/2013

I've also wanted to try the luminara candles. But, after seeing your videos, I think I'd rather have the luminara candles in the bigger size than the votives or tealights. I'd rather spend my money that way.

snpets1360354028.931091 PostsRegistered 3/2/2007

I don't care for the votives in the tealight holders, they are too tall. I prefer the look of the Luminara votives when using a votive holder where you can see the dancing flame, it looks most real to me and I like the color of the glow better with Luminara, not so orange. If you're using holders that you can't see through like you have in the video, it really wouldn't matter to me.

I will be sending the Luminara votives back. Last night was the third night on the timer so I moved the 3 of them next to where I was sitting so I would know when the charge died. One of them died with over an hour left to go on the timer mode, which means it lasted less than 14 hours. When that one died early I moved the other 2 off timer to the on position to test to see how long they would last. One lasted around 17 hrs. The last one lasted well over 18hrs.

I'm not going to even bother testing the other 3, when one didn't even last 15 hrs. I made up my mind to send them back. Also, one of them was clicking pretty loud. These have been a big disappointment, too many issues.

If anyone can recommend a BO tealight or votive (not the 3" CI) with timer that you don't have to unscrew the bottom to change the battery---please share. Thanks

Marsha20031360365368.8234580 PostsRegistered 10/31/2007

Snpets, I noticed the loud clicking from one of mine, too. With the Luminara pillars, clicking usually signifies that they aren't level, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the votives. I also notice that there's a real difference in the amount of movement from candle to candle. Some are almost motionless and some flicker wildly. I just turned all of mine to timer to see if they would all last the same amount of time. I'll be curious to see if my experience is the same as yours.

Last edited on 2/8/2013

Last edited on 2/8/2013

snpets1360369056.91091 PostsRegistered 3/2/2007

Hi Marsha! I didn't mention it, but you're right about the difference in movement. All 3 I tested were moving differently and the one that had the most rapid movement was the one that was clicking loudly.

Yes, I'm also curious to hear of your experience.

Just Plain­ Crazy1360612087.8535274 PostsRegistered 7/22/2009

Marsha,

watched the 2 videos and I too like the way the battery operated one lights up the holder better. I do think the luminara would look great in a bigger holder. I have some of valeries mosaic looking hurricanes tht I put the biggerLuminaras in. The candle doesn't show but it sure gives a nice light dance when on.

Have you made any decisions on if you are keeping them yet??? I didn't order as I didn't want to have to charge them every 3 days so I passed when they were presented.

JPC

Daffy Duck1360621260.317676 PostsRegistered 9/11/2007

I watched both videos (thanks for doing that) and I prefer the battery operated ones to the Luminara. The flicker is too fast & erratic IMHO I love the look of my pillars but it makes me unhappy that the battery life is so short. Guess I was just spoiled by the battery life of the CI pillars. I bought the VPH mosaic lamps and find myself steering away from battery operated candles unless it is a place where the battery operated ones are the only option.

Marsha20031360697055.5874580 PostsRegistered 10/31/2007

Well, it turns out that most of my votive holders are shorter than the Luminara votive candles. I can use them in my rose bowls and by themselves, so I think I will keep one set. I'm returning the set I bought for my mother, though. I can't see her ever using these. I can always lend her mine if she wanted them for a party or something.

Thank you to everyone who responded. It was helpful to have your thoughts to add to mine.

Page 1 of 1