Back-in-Stock Fashions
57 Members and 12866 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

Vinyl Plank Flooring

Started 1356509898.66 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1356828036.66 by lilypadfrog

I was just researching vinyl plank flooring since we are considering it (and since I can't sleep at two in the morning) and wondered if any of you have it in your homes. We are looking to get rid of the carpet in two of our bedrooms and are considering viny plank flooring.

We installed real wood in most of our house seventeen years ago. The finish has worn off in many areas, and I now have to wax it which is a pain. It's also scratched and we have some slight water damage in a few places. I don't hate it; it's still a beautiful wood. I just don't love it like I used to. We can't match our existing wood exactly and even if we could, I can't see putting down real wood again that will sooner or later have the same issues I am having now. I definitely don't want carpet.

I recently visited a huge flooring store and found a vinyl plank floor that I loved. I didn't realize it wasn't real until the salesperson told me. I brought home a sample to see how it would blend in with what I have, and it's very similar in color and style. This particular brand and style has a ten-year commercial warranty so it must be tough, and that's what I need with two dogs.

Anybody have Karndeen vinyl flooring?

Page 1 of 1
ThinkOutsi­deTheBox1356512776.2771641 PostsRegistered 1/23/2011
We bought the vinyl planks that look like tile for our bathrooms, but have not yet installed it. I love wood floors, but with pets, and with the inability to get a stable, level subfloor, vinyl planks offer a great alternative. It looks fabulous, and it adds the benefit of providing sound suppression. No clacking along in your shoes. I think you will be happy with it, especially if you found a plank you already like and it is a good quality product. Let me know how it turns out if you do it yourself.

haddon91356513550.2676169 PostsRegistered 10/18/2005Bucks County, Pa

I don't have Karndeen brand flooring but several years ago we put down vinyl plank (wood look) flooring in our basement. DH felt that either vinyl or ceramic tile was the only acceptable flooring for our basement because he was afraid of putting down carpet or laminate (he would never go to the expense of real hardwood for the basement) in case of a flood or leak. Fortunately we've never had that problem but several of our neighbors have had water in their basements.

I don't know the name of the brand that we have. It was purchased from Lowe's and I was surprised at just how much it looks like real wood!! It's perfect for the basement and gives the area a nice warm look. It's held up well so far too!! However I don't know if I would put it down in a bedroom. It might hurt resale value and though it looks like wood it doesn't sound or feel like wood.

We have an oak hardwood foyer and hallway which at one time needed to be waxed. I agree that having to wax the floor is a big pain!!!...plus it never looks nice once it gets stepped on. After several years of waxing and not liking the look we finally just hired someone to professionally strip, sand and put down a few coats of polyurethane. It's been at least ten years since we've had this done and it was well worth the cost since the floors have held up well!...no more waxing!!

DH and I are considering eventually ripping up the carpet in the living room and dining rooms (they are still in good condition right now) and replacing it with hardwood. However the living room is right next to the hardwood foyer floor so we would have to get something that would work well with the foyer floor. One consideration is to put down another oak floor (the foyer does limit our choice), and strip the foyer again (I'm not sure how often it can be done to this particular floor but I know it can be done again). We would then stain the stripped down floor to go with the new floor in the living room.

You might want to see if you can strip your floors and have them polyurethaned...no more waxing!!!

gardenman1356525966.02717109 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

I like the vinyl plank floors, but I've only seen them in commercial locations locally and don't have them in my home. My opthamologist's office has the vinyl planks and one of our local nursing homes/rehab facilities has them. In both places they've held up very well and look great. I've been especially impressed by how well they've worked in the rehab facility. They're always rolling beds and wheelchairs over them and the floors still look brand new. I'd like to eventually remodel our family room and kitchen and sort of combine them into one large open plan space and if I do, vinyl plank flooring is one option (porcelain tile being the other) for flooring in the two spaces.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

happy hous­ewife1356530984.8732134 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

We had installed a vinyl plank floors in our Pa home in the kitchen in 2001 when they were the newest thing out there. It was a huge cost savings and you could not tell the difference between them and wood. I loved that I had all the convenience of vinyl - easy clean - no wax etc but not the bad stuff of caring for wood - but still had the look of wood. The people who bought the house loved those floors - and she loved them even more when I told her they were vinyl and she could just mop them. The one bad thing about mine was there was kind of a texture to them so at least monthly I had to scrub them on my hands & knees because the mop would not get into the grooves to get them 100% clean. Anyway, I highly recommend them.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

LaurieJill1356532982.062005 PostsRegistered 1/3/2009

We've talked about refinishing our wood floors but just haven't done it yet. The polyuerethane finish they came with began wearing off in high traffic areas a few years ago, but before then I never waxed them. I've tried several different waxes, and it seems they all cause every smudge and footprint to show. We installed our floors ourselvelves in 1996, including ripping up about a thousand square feet of tile and some carpet. We're seventeen years older now and want to have it done by someone else this time.

This is what we're considering.

briiii1356533345.9236305 PostsRegistered 2/18/2010Chicago

I have vinyl plank flooring in the basement. I love it. I'm sorry, but I don't know the brand.

*sigh*

haddon91356534252.196169 PostsRegistered 10/18/2005Bucks County, Pa

Wow! Those floors really do look nice!!

Sounds like you do a lot of work yourselves...we do too and when DH mentioned getting hardwood in the living & dining rooms I said that it was going to be VERY expensive but he wants to do it himself to $ave.... Oh I can just imagine how hard that will be since he's much older now too not to mention moving all of the furniture...so we''ll see.

When we bought our house over 20 years ago and we choose the wood floor that's in the foyer and hallway because I liked the look. I assumed it was poly coated and was so annoyed to find out that it had to be waxed regularly!!!! Ugh!! Each time I waxed the smudges looked awful as soon as I was finished!!! I'm so glad that we had the floors refinished and they still look good. Maybe your floors only had a single coat of polyurethane and that could be a reason it's worn off? If you do get the floors refinished ask about several coats of poly. It's more work and takes several days to do but it's worth it.

When we put the vinyl flooring in the basement I didn't know of anyone else who had used vinyl wood look flooring before. Most people that I know either have real hardwood and many have the laminate. ....Maybe some do have vinyl but I just assumed it was real without really noticing?

LaurieJill1356534870.9572005 PostsRegistered 1/3/2009

The lady who is helping me at the floor center said several of their vendors were going to stop carrying laminate wood flooring after the first of the year because the demand for it has dropped off dramatically since more and more people were opting for vinyl planks. The price difference between real, pre-finished wood flooring and these planks is $400 for the two rooms we want done. I really thought the vinyl planks would be much less expensive, but I guess not.

haddon91356537746.636169 PostsRegistered 10/18/2005Bucks County, Pa
On 12/26/2012 LaurieJill said:

The lady who is helping me at the floor center said several of their vendors were going to stop carrying laminate wood flooring after the first of the year because the demand for it has dropped off dramatically since more and more people were opting for vinyl planks. The price difference between real, pre-finished wood flooring and these planks is $400 for the two rooms we want done. I really thought the vinyl planks would be much less expensive, but I guess not.

Laminate was so popular for a while, I didn't realize that it's not anymore. While hardwood will always be the most desirable, I didn't realize that vinyl was getting more popular!! For the small price difference I might lean more towards the hardwood.

LaurieJill1356541543.372005 PostsRegistered 1/3/2009
On 12/26/2012 haddon9 said:

Laminate was so popular for a while, I didn't realize that it's not anymore. While hardwood will always be the most desirable, I didn't realize that vinyl was getting more popular!! For the small price difference I might lean more towards the hardwood.

Part of me is thinking that, too. We don't even remember the brand of our flooring, though, and haven't been able to find new real wood that matches very well. This particular vinyl is a different width and texture, but the color and "graining" is a near-perfect match which will make for a better transition from hallway to bedrooms. I just don't want more real wood to maintain since the wood I have to work so hard to keep what I have looking good.

happy hous­ewife1356545734.47732134 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

When i was a child we had oak hardwood floors through our entire house and they were a real PIA to maintain. They convinced me that I never wanrt to have real hardwood floors no matter how in style they are. My DH has neuropathy in his feet and dislikes walking on hard surfaces so he doesn't want anything but carpet - thus we have carpet everywhere but the bathrooms , the kitchen and the 2 entry halls. In those places we have ceramic tile. The salesman working here in our plan selling homes was telling some of us at the HOA meeting that hardwood is starting to fall out of style and wall to wall carpet is gaining in popularity again as people are seeing how difficult it is to care for hardwood. He was saying that about the last 8 homes he sold they had ordered carpet instead of a hard wood floor. I would say that the vast majority of the homes here have ceramic tile throughout because that is what came with the house for no additional charge, and most of the homes here are seasonal residences only so they were bought on strict budgets.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

LaurieJill1356549470.032005 PostsRegistered 1/3/2009
On 12/26/2012 morning lover said:

When i was a child we had oak hardwood floors through our entire house and they were a real PIA to maintain. They convinced me that I never wanrt to have real hardwood floors no matter how in style they are. My DH has neuropathy in his feet and dislikes walking on hard surfaces so he doesn't want anything but carpet - thus we have carpet everywhere but the bathrooms , the kitchen and the 2 entry halls. In those places we have ceramic tile. The salesman working here in our plan selling homes was telling some of us at the HOA meeting that hardwood is starting to fall out of style and wall to wall carpet is gaining in popularity again as people are seeing how difficult it is to care for hardwood. He was saying that about the last 8 homes he sold they had ordered carpet instead of a hard wood floor. I would say that the vast majority of the homes here have ceramic tile throughout because that is what came with the house for no additional charge, and most of the homes here are seasonal residences only so they were bought on strict budgets.

I agree that hardwood floors are a pain, but at least you can clean them. Carpet never really seems clean to me and s ucks up smells, especially if you have pets, which we do. I guess there are drawbacks to any kind of flooring.

Just Plain­ Crazy1356561473.0435286 PostsRegistered 7/22/2009

We put in vinyl plank flooring in the kitchen a couple years ago. I do love it but I baby it cause they had to replace the whole thing after getting it down as it had some scratches in it so I am afraid that it will scratch and dent. They couldn't figure out where the scratches came from and said probably happened at the factory. Guy from the company had to come out and look at it before they would replace it. They did tell us we shouldn't use our chairs on rollers as that could damage the floor and the warranty wouldn't be any good.

I do have coaster like things under the legs of the table cause the table is so heavy we could tell where the table was setting and they have helped. I think ours is Armstrong.

I do love it and am probably babying it for nothing but better safe than sorry. We have dropped things on it and no dents or scratches but at the price of it, just as much as hardwood, don't want to take any chances.

JPC

happy hous­ewife1356562817.9132134 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
On 12/26/2012 Just Plain Crazy said:

We put in vinyl plank flooring in the kitchen a couple years ago. I do love it but I baby it cause they had to replace the whole thing after getting it down as it had some scratches in it so I am afraid that it will scratch and dent. They couldn't figure out where the scratches came from and said probably happened at the factory. Guy from the company had to come out and look at it before they would replace it. They did tell us we shouldn't use our chairs on rollers as that could damage the floor and the warranty wouldn't be any good.

I do have coaster like things under the legs of the table cause the table is so heavy we could tell where the table was setting and they have helped. I think ours is Armstrong.

I do love it and am probably babying it for nothing but better safe than sorry. We have dropped things on it and no dents or scratches but at the price of it, just as much as hardwood, don't want to take any chances.

JPC

Let me tell you for sure - if you drop something heavy on a hardwood floor it will mark that floor permanently - I once dropped a can of tomatoes on the hardwood floor and there was an imprint of that can on that floor forever.

amartinezf­an1356562912.6439629 PostsRegistered 12/1/2006Sunny San Diego
On 12/26/2012 morning lover said:

I agree that hardwood floors are a pain, but at least you can clean them. Carpet never really seems clean to me and s ucks up smells, especially if you have pets, which we do. I guess there are drawbacks to any kind of flooring.

That is a Fact, LOL! Right now I have the "need to be refinished hardwood floors" covered with Royal Palace throughout!.

Gator Nurse1356709664.35258 PostsRegistered 4/26/2009

Ladies I have to jump in here and tell you about a new product that we had installed in June. It is called FreeFit. They are vinyl plank/ tiles. It is AWESOME!!! It comes like wood, tile, rock, etc. It is glued to the floor with this special glue that always stays wet. If something happens to it you just replace the one tile<em>. It has a great bounce to it. They are putting it into offices and the dental school here.</em>

<em>Look up www.freefit.com</em>

<em>We got it from a store that sells carpets and tile.</em>

<em>I'm a retired RN and can't stand long on ceramic tile.</em>

I prefer CI candles

endoqueen1356711314.3731275 PostsRegistered 7/6/2008parallel universe

We put Karndeen flooring in our office about 5 years ago, and it is really great! It looks beautiful and it takes such a beating from rolling chairs and all kinds of chemicals and solvents and cements that invariably fall on it. I am thinking of putting it in my kitchen and bathrooms. I have Brazillian hardwood piled up in boxes ready to install throughout the house, including the kitchen, but I am rethinking the kitchen flooring choice and might just keep the extra boxes for repairs, and put in vinyl in the kitchen. For all the abuse this floor takes, is still looks so good.

Andrewsgra­ndma1356738413.77730 PostsRegistered 9/2/2006Phx

Actually, we are in the process of replacing all of our carpet with Karndean flooring. We are using the commercial Van Gogh in Classic Oak. It is beautiful! I,m not a tile lover, and with 5 dogs didn't want to do carpet or wood. The room that is done looks so much like wood its unreal. I like the soft feel. I think it cost us 2.49 sq ft. from a local flooring store. We live in a horsey, rural area of town and the flooring rep said many people in our area are using this. I know we are really happy with the Karndean.

lilypadfrog1356828036.647614 PostsRegistered 2/22/2009El Mirage

Not sure if anyone answered this so pardon the question, but does this vinyl plank flooring dent? I remember the vinyl sheet flooring from long ago that would dent with high heels or a table leg. Do these do that? If so, is there a way to prevent it?

Page 1 of 1