TSV(R) Preview
91 Members and 14054 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

Best Electric Window Candles?

Started 1353368035.537 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1354412504.71 by shosh
Hi Ladies, Any recommendations for window candles? We always put a single window candle in each window at holiday time. I've always purchased semi-cheap ones at Michaels or elsewhere,and I'm wondering if the more expensive ones are worth the investment? Any recommendations or ones that you love? TIA:)

Over 40. Dark hair. Fair, with mild-moderate Rosacea. Finicky skin. Did I mention--Gorgeous? ;)

Page 1 of 1
glmama1353368403.88720189 PostsRegistered 12/8/2006
I should have said battery operated or electric.:)

Over 40. Dark hair. Fair, with mild-moderate Rosacea. Finicky skin. Did I mention--Gorgeous? ;)

insomniac1353406171.677709 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I can tell you that the BL battery-operated ones have a fairly weak glow. I prefer the dollar store ones that plug in--although the outlet situation around here does make that a challenge!

insomniac

TX-starlig­ht1353410212.674728 PostsRegistered 2/8/2010

Maybe someone can also answer a ? for me...I am also wanting "window candles"... Last yr. I put solar screens on my windows which are very dark. Do you think these window candles would show up? From the outside the normal inside lights barely show,so I am not sure the candle lights would show.

stampingpa­perdoll1353412378.117311 PostsRegistered 4/7/2005

The best ones I have found are the old QVC Bethlehem Lights plug in candles-heavy base-they turn on and off automatically. I needed some more and found them at Brookstone--they have the same features-but you can tell they were manufactured in a different plant from my old ones--they still are great--the battery operated ones are cheap plastic and take way too many batteries.

msmoxie1353412490.2472059 PostsRegistered 9/4/2012

I bought a set from improvements last year and I love them. I wanted to put them over the window over the front door. They are led lights that are on batteries and they are on timers I have them come on at 6pm and go off at midnight.

Always believe some thing wonderful is about to happen

Kat 131353413597.877870 PostsRegistered 7/6/2011

Hi...

Every once in a while, Bethlehem Lights brings back their
Electric Window Candles......

THEY ARE NOW BACK on QVC.com.....
I saw them only a few days ago.
Item Number H197582......around $49.00 set of 4 in 3 different finishes.
The BASES are METAL and weight-y, NOT PLASTIC like the Battery operated ones...

I bought 2 sets FOUR years ago when they came in a set of SIX for the same price.

They are GREAT......{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I did buy 2 sets just in case some pooped out as I did need 6 for all of my windows.

So far, the 2nd set is still in their original boxes up in the closet !!!

I like the electric as you can change the bulbs to reflect the season....
Use the C-7 type Christmas bulbs that you see or can get year round in any old-fashioned Hardware store to do that.
At first I was afraid that I would ruin them by not using the same type bulbs but I checked it out with a reputable light bulb company and as long as the wattage is the same or lower, you can use any type bulb in the window-candles.

I leave mine up all year and keep the clear on for Christmas and New Years,
change to the Red for Valentines's Day, use Green for St. Pat's Day,
For Easter, White Opaque or Blue (which for some strange reason, the Blue comes up an old-fashioned Turquoise color), Back to Clear for Memorial Day, the 4th of July and Labor Day, Orange for Halloween, White Opaque for the Fall season then again
back to the original Clear for Christmas.

I am pretty sure that:
Item Number H01505 are the replacement bulbs which are now also
back in stock on QVC for $12.00.....
(These are taller than the C-7 bulbs But should be the same as the bulbs that you get with the candles...)
((Does that make sense to you, ?? If not ask me again and I will explain further.))

Because I got my Window Candles so long ago, Check with QVC Customer Service to make sure that the item number I gave you for the replacement bulbs are indeed the correct size for the new Bethlehem Lights Electric Candles.

I did not get my CLEAR replacement bulbs from QVC.....
I got mine, I THINK from Christmas Central .com as they were only $4.00 for a box of 12.... They were Listed as Bethlehem Lights and were the same as the ones on QVC listed
as the replacement bulbs, so I got 2 boxes.

Because I have only changed around 5 bulbs in FOUR YEARS, I am SET FOR LIFE with these bulbs.

If you really want the BL Electric Window Candles.....

DO NOT WAIT !!!!
If they are presented, they will go fast !!!

Just keep in mind that they are NOT LED lights and will burn your curtains or anything else
that touches them.
I have very wide window sills so I am able to have sheer curtains up behind the window candles without having the bulbs hit the curtains !!!

Hope this Helps....Kiss

Last edited on 11/20/2012

TeachRsPet1353415406.0132869 PostsRegistered 11/29/2009

I have to agree with Kat 13 these candles are the best! I too, don't like those with batteries especially the light weight plastic ones. I bought these when they were the TSV years ago and I have back up ones in the closet as well!! I was lucky enough to catch them and the bulbs at the Q outlet last year and stocked up. The only other ones I've used which are also nice but not as tall or heavy as these are ones from the catalog Solutions.

glmama1353427594.70320189 PostsRegistered 12/8/2006
Kat--What GREAT info---THANK YOU so much. I'm checking them out now...:)

glmama1353427744.3120189 PostsRegistered 12/8/2006
Thank you for ALL the great replies here.:) TXStarlight--I hope someone can answer your question for you!,:)

glmama1353428158.80320189 PostsRegistered 12/8/2006
Ladies--I really *thought* I wanted the battery ones that I didn't have to plug in, but it DOES LOOK like the battery ones are much lighter and not sturdy.

Kat 131354017779.947870 PostsRegistered 7/6/2011
On 11/20/2012 glmama said: Ladies--I really *thought* I wanted the battery ones that I didn't have to plug in, but it DOES LOOK like the battery ones are much lighter and not sturdy.

Hi...Kiss

AND..........Plastic !!!{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

shosh1354019635.7673019 PostsRegistered 12/12/2008

thanks for the heads up on the bl elec candles- Kiss

i had given up looking for them. on their way here now, over the years some have stopped working from my original sets. i got a case of extra bulbs online when q didn't sell them. be careful to use only the right bulbs, others may work but not be 'safe'.

the bl battery ones are so big at the base, they would hang too much over my window sills.

i do have these electric ones rigged up to be fastened in place...made a long 'tab' out of duct tape that extends under the candle base -i slip it under the window and close down on the tab, that way they don't fall off. i think bl should have some way of fastening the candles for safety, they cost enough.

this is important- the warm bulbs can be a fire hazard, i know someone who had an elec window candle fall into a bin of stuffed animals below the window, and it stayed lit for hours...eventually it started a fire while they were asleep, and the house was severely damaged. leds are cool, but the regular bulbs are warm enough to kindle a fire, fyi.

''among saints''...why, thank you...

gypsy21354036320.3931913 PostsRegistered 5/24/2010
On 11/27/2012 shosh said:

thanks for the heads up on the bl elec candles- Kiss

i had given up looking for them. on their way here now, over the years some have stopped working from my original sets. i got a case of extra bulbs online when q didn't sell them. be careful to use only the right bulbs, others may work but not be 'safe'.

the bl battery ones are so big at the base, they would hang too much over my window sills.

i do have these electric ones rigged up to be fastened in place...made a long 'tab' out of duct tape that extends under the candle base -i slip it under the window and close down on the tab, that way they don't fall off. i think bl should have some way of fastening the candles for safety, they cost enough.

this is important- the warm bulbs can be a fire hazard, i know someone who had an elec window candle fall into a bin of stuffed animals below the window, and it stayed lit for hours...eventually it started a fire while they were asleep, and the house was severely damaged. leds are cool, but the regular bulbs are warm enough to kindle a fire, fyi.

Thanks for this tip. I would not have guessed these bulbs could cause a fire. I also appreicate the other info on this topic. There are so many savvy people on this board!

shosh1354089822.8233019 PostsRegistered 12/12/2008

yes gypsy

i was surprised as these bulbs don't feel so hot, but if the heat is sustained long enough, things that have a low kindle point like paper or fabric- will burn.

got my candles today, they seem identical to the older ones except : new ones have white cords which is better than the old gray ones against my white walls.

correction: i used clear plastic mailing tape, not duct tape to make my tabs. that way you can't notice the bit that may peek out under the window facing the outside. they really ought to have fasteners attached, imho.

do you recall the old xmas tree bulbs that got so red hot ,could burn your skin. no wonder there were so many tree fires back then, not much safer than lit candles!

Kat 131354189002.927870 PostsRegistered 7/6/2011
On 11/28/2012 shosh said:

yes gypsy

i was surprised as these bulbs don't feel so hot, but if the heat is sustained long enough, things that have a low kindle point like paper or fabric- will burn.

got my candles today, they seem identical to the older ones except : new ones have white cords which is better than the old gray ones against my white walls.

correction: i used clear plastic mailing tape, not duct tape to make my tabs. that way you can't notice the bit that may peek out under the window facing the outside. they really ought to have fasteners attached, imho.

do you recall the old xmas tree bulbs that got so red hot ,could burn your skin. no wonder there were so many tree fires back then, not much safer than lit candles!

Hi...

I like my Grey Cords, they fade into my cotton white sheer curtains...............

Be careful with the White Cords.....
Eventually they turn YELLOW ...............
(that kind of creeps up...one day white, one day yellow)

Keep 'em clean or suddenly you will notice that they are yellow.
That discoloration will NEVER be white again, no matter what you use to try
to get the cord white again.Kiss

Last edited on 11/29/2012

Last edited on 11/29/2012

shosh1354412504.713019 PostsRegistered 12/12/2008

thanks- interesting about the white cords, i have no curtains to hide anything.

ps: 2 out of the 4 new candles don't work on timer setting- they flicker, or go off, or refuse to turn on at all in that setting- erratically. am concerned they could be a fire hazard to use at all if there is a short in them.

trying out the other 2 for a bit, then calling q....i think these cost enough to have a better quality level. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Page 1 of 1