Guaranteed Delivery
37 Members and 17418 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

I hate my HE washer and it's new!

Started 1350018091.557 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1350437135.677 by Andrewsgrandma

Does anyone have an HE washer that they hate because it spins the clothes so much that the wrinkles are practically impossible to get out even ironing? -- For years, I washed my clothes and then stuck them in my dryer for about 5 minutes, pulled them out and no wrinkles- hung them on a line in the cellar to dry the rest of the way- Now I have an HE super large capacity washer and I don't think the darn thing actually used enough water to cover a normal size load let alone a big load like I was used to --- I even put just one set of sheets in with a few smaller items and it seemed when I took them out that there were "dry" spots --- the sales guy actually said that I wouldn't have to use my dryer as much as a "sales" point but at the time I just needed a washer immediately and it didn't register that he meant an HE used less water- I assumed it used less electricity--- well THAT"S not the case- it takes longer to wash- Anyone else notice this??? I wish I could get rid of it- but I can't afford to.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
Skuggles1350018602.0631811 PostsRegistered 4/25/2010

What kind do you have? I'm looking. I have a Kenmore Elite that is about to bite the dust.

DoraExplor­er1350019257.0471332 PostsRegistered 10/16/2009H-town

ME! I'm still not convinced you can get clothes cleaned with so little water.

dgluvr1350019332.7135281 PostsRegistered 5/12/2008

I have a MAYTAG -- Bravia line- gets great reviews from Consumer Reports- Obviously they didn't ask me!!!

Skuggles1350019485.721811 PostsRegistered 4/25/2010

I read something recently that said Consumer Reports isn't the reliable source that it was at one time. I've read a lot of camplaints on the Maytag Bravos, but then again, there are complaints galore on any washer. makes it very hard.

jpie1350020173.2771789 PostsRegistered 7/3/2007

I am going to hang on to my old school, non HE Whirlpool W/D set as long as I can. My BF has a Maytag HE W/D set and has had nothing but trouble. He can never get it to balance the clothes and wash correctly. This particular model has had zero customer satisfaction. I believe there was a class cation suite that put Maytag out of business. Same with my BFF, not sure of the brand, but she also hates her HE set.

Sorry that you had such a major expense perform like it is a substandard machine. I would check into the BBB and file a claim against the company if the place of purchase will not help you out with a suitable solution. Time is of the essence with the BBB process. Good luck! (they really don't make them like they used to!)

moondust1350020281.9871402 PostsRegistered 1/12/2008ga

dgluver, is this a 'front-loading-washer'? I found Maytag 'Bravos', but not 'Bravia'--same thing?

We are on the 'Look' for new Fridge/Washer/Dryer and it is just about an Exhausting TASK!!

Have right now (just a FEW years old!!) Maytag Washer and Dryer and to say that I am NOT happy....Understatement!!

Ugh....

Nothing is so strong as gentleness and nothing is so gentle as true strength.
Ralph W. Sockman

shoekitty1350020512.08713278 PostsRegistered 8/10/2006

I don't have one, I have my 24 year old Maytag with 3 speeds, LOL. Regular, permapress, delicate!! But my daughter has LG HE washer and dryer. It takes a long time to wash. She has 3 kids 10, 15 and 17 and it takes 2 days to do laundry. All weekend. The set was so expensive they didn't buy those elevator things that lift the washer and dryer up, because they were 250@. So you have to bend way down to do laundry. I am too old for that. My daughter's MIL is a friend of mine, and when we helped my daughter out when she was sick, we vowed to never get one. Only because we said we were too old to change, and to bend down and to wait that long to a load.

life is a banquet and most poor fools are starving to death!"
Auntie Mame

dgluvr1350021063.6675281 PostsRegistered 5/12/2008
On 10/11/2012 moondust said:

dgluver, is this a 'front-loading-washer'? I found Maytag 'Bravos', but not 'Bravia'--same thing?

We are on the 'Look' for new Fridge/Washer/Dryer and it is just about an Exhausting TASK!!

Have right now (just a FEW years old!!) Maytag Washer and Dryer and to say that I am NOT happy....Understatement!!

Ugh....

MOODUST- no it's a top loader- ( because I read that the seal is the first thing to go on the front loaders)- And I didn't like the idea of having to bend over and haul out the wet clothes ( which is a moot point now-since they do come out wrung so much!)I didn't have time to shop around- the washer just died on me in the middle of a load full!.

aubnwa011350021290.2576952 PostsRegistered 10/18/2004Cortaro, AZ

I have a Maytag Bravos HE top loader & I've found it helps to shake the items out before i put them in the dryer, especially my sheets & pilllowcases. Most of my clothing is jeans or knits & I don't have much problem with wrinkling with them, but my pillowcases can dry pretty wrinkly if I don't unwind them & shake the wrinkles out before putting them into the dryer. The dryer gets them dry quicker when there's less water left in them, so they don't get the wrinkles tumbled out.

"Always Be A Little Kinder Than Necessary"-James M. Barrie

moondust1350023290.791402 PostsRegistered 1/12/2008ga
On 10/11/2012 dgluvr said:
On 10/11/2012 moondust said:

Ugh....

MOODUST- no it's a top loader- ( because I read that the seal is the first thing to go on the front loaders)- And I didn't like the idea of having to bend over and haul out the wet clothes ( which is a moot point now-since they do come out wrung so much!)I didn't have time to shop around- the washer just died on me in the middle of a load full!.

Aww dgluver, died on you in the middle of a full load???--that STINKS!!! {#emotions_dlg.crying} and then of course one has to 'hurry' and get Something!!!

My washer and dryer (just 4 and 7 years old; respectively) have Not died, they just do Not do a 'good job'...ESPECIALLY the dryer and since I am a clothes 'washing-FANATIC'!! this is driving me.... Kooky!!!!{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Me thinks that the dryer thermostat is 'broken'; heat is wayyy to high for 'low setting' and hubby will NOT 'admit' to this...since his clothes are ALWAYS....Immaculate..., he just has NO and I mean NO!!! 'idea' what I have to go through to get them 'this way'!!!{#emotions_dlg.mad}

Anywho, I Only 'grew-up' on Front Loading Washers since that is ALL we have in Germany, (for over 50/60 years now??). When I 'finally' received my lst !!! 'washer' it was of course 'front loading' and was a brand called 'BauKnecht' and I was in HEAVEN!! Something like SEVEN Temp Settings!! Clothes were 'beyond' clean....you could literally 'boil' your whites! and the 'gentle cycle' was just THAT...Gentle!! I guess, it must of 'obviously' used l e s s water, and maybe I did not notice at the time, but maybe clothes were more 'wrinkley'??{#emotions_dlg.confused1} I do know that it was not Difficult at ALL though to get out the 'wrinkles' in the dryer...even on low heat. But!!...I do NOT 'remember' having Issues with that, so maybe, there was Not a 'wrinkle' problem. For SURE though....NEVER EVER 'dry spots' on ANYTHING!! Can ya LOVE a 'washer'?? I DID!!! And the 'dryer' was ALSO....a DREAM!!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Guess, I will never attain 'dream' status again in regards to my Clothes Washing, but I am on High-Alert now!! as to What-And-What-NOT to buy!!!

Do you have a setting on your washer for 'slow-spin'?? That means on 'my' present washer that the items are More Wet and have Less Wrinkles when putting in dryer. Yes, more drying time, but maybe 'less' Dry-Spots and Wrinkles??

Me sorry for you...it really Stinks!! in THIS day and age to have something as Clothes Washing be MORE Difficult than YEARS AGO!!!! Makes NO SENSE!!

smiles

Nothing is so strong as gentleness and nothing is so gentle as true strength.
Ralph W. Sockman

luvie1350029297.56785 PostsRegistered 7/9/2005

oh dgluver, what a mess! i had an old maytag set that was wonderful and still runs perfectly. i bought a new house 3 years ago and we were concerned about bouncing the set around, so we left them where they were to be rented out with that house. i then bought a new maytag pair. i was so shocked at the prices of new machines... i hadn't looked in over 26 years!...i just refused to pay huge bucks and went with what i thought was a good choice in the maytag line..not! the set was cheap and noisy and bounced all over the cement floor in my basement..horrible... thank you china! i was so disgusted, and found carrying laundry up and down the steps dangerous for me..it was only a matter of time until i would fall. so i put an apartment in my new large house and the tenant uses that set all the time. i use it too still to dye clothing... something you can't do with front loaders. i put a stacked pair in a closet upstairs for me. what brand to buy? well i can say do not bother looking on line. i was considering LG, ELECTROLUX, and i third brand i can't remember. there was BOTH a pro and a con site for each one...essentially you could find whatever you wanted to read, pro or con, about each of the three brands. so.. all through the 80's i had dealt with the electrolux company in europe. i bought all kinds of machinery from them and felt them to be a good company. i knew they were popular in europe even then for their kitchen appliances and laundry items. i went with them. the price was terrible..and the only sale they have is $200 off each piece once a year... not much considering the cost 3 years ago was around $1500-1800 per piece. so i waited!!!

then... and the same thing happened to me this summer with their induction/convection range... they change something about the models and clean house! in the case of the washers they eliminated the ones that did not have a steam cycle which was something i really had no use for. i bought them at sears for 35% off each. i love them! they are HE of course and the stuff comes out wet... so there must be water involved somewhere, but i never see any... they clean great and the dryer is terrific. the only problem i have had is in the dryer... things seemed to get very tied up, so a friend gave me 2 plastic balls...look like dog toys to me, but you put them in the dryer and that did the trick. stuff comes out wrinkle free, better than i ever experienced. altho' i had to fool around a bit to find the perfect cycle to use. so there is hope out there. perhaps you could sell your new wonder worker and buy something else...we use a washer for a long time... i hope, anyway! i will say that with a front loader in all brands you do have an odor problem around the ring unless you leave the door open until it completely dries. if i had small children..front loaders would not be in my home. just thought i'd mention that issue. i leave the washer door open and close the closet door, so it's no problem. on the other hand i find them to be so beautiful...yes, beautiful...i hate to have the pair stored away in a closet. i am in love with these machines and i've had them 18 months.

PUMPKIN1350032036.007553 PostsRegistered 4/14/2006Indiana
Maytag Bravos. Hate mine.

slh1350032274.634463 PostsRegistered 10/19/2005NJ (Philly burb)

I have a Maytag Bravos and actually love it. It is over two years old and I've found that I can adjust the speed of the spin which helps to reduce the wrinkling you are refering to. I also use the "sheets" setting alot as that seems to have the highest water level (I can watch what is happening through the window on the lid). Keep experimenting with the settings and maybe this will help.

ID21350039609.412412 PostsRegistered 6/25/2012

I have a Samsung pair of HE front loading washer & dryer. I LOVE them! OP does your washer have different settings? I can set mine to do just about anything! If I don't want it to spin dry my clothes as much I can adjust that setting. Perhaps reread your manual to see if you can adjust your machines to work for your specific needs.

Last edited on 10/12/2012

Love my "Pure Michigan"

momtodogs1350039760.983893 PostsRegistered 9/20/2006

I have a Frigidaire HE washer and dryer and I can 'select' my wash mode as well as the spin mode, my choices are high, medium, low and hang to dry. I have not noticed a problem with extra wrinkles.

My concern is the washer will hold a lot of clothing but I don't think the dryer has the same capacity even tho it is a matching set, so I don't over load the washer.

Vivian1350040508.5633436 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
I have a Maytag HE washer and dryer and I can't stand them! Any water conservation is ruined compared to having to run a long hot water empty wash with overpriced cleaner every month. Then there's having to buy special, more expensive, HE detergent. My husband says our washer sounds like an old man with gas. I think he's being kind.

CocoaMolly1350042866.663819 PostsRegistered 1/1/2007Midwest

I have the Whirlpool Cabrio (same as the Maytag Bravos) top loading HE washer. I have experience the "dry spots" when taking some clothes out of the washer like dgluvr and I've had trouble when doing king size quilts and blankets getting them balanced. I really wish I would have bought another agitator washer but I couldn't find one large enough to wash king size bedding. And, as long as I shake out the clothes (like abnwal) before putting them in the dryer, I have minimal wrinkling. I also did research on the model I brought which for the most part had very good reviews.

All that being said, I think the future of HE washers is limited due to all the complaints. I believe manufacturers will bring back the agitator type washers with a new stylish look, various colors and a lot of high tech computer gadgetry to go along with it.

maggiemay1350044243.82784 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 10/12/2012 PUMPKIN said: Maytag Bravos. Hate mine.

Same here! {#emotions_dlg.sad}

lovemyboys1350044419.15539 PostsRegistered 4/29/2009
On 10/12/2012 slh said:

I have a Maytag Bravos and actually love it. It is over two years old and I've found that I can adjust the speed of the spin which helps to reduce the wrinkling you are refering to. I also use the "sheets" setting alot as that seems to have the highest water level (I can watch what is happening through the window on the lid). Keep experimenting with the settings and maybe this will help.

I also have the Maytag Bravos 300 quiet series, also about 2 years old and I love mine too. I've never had a problem with dry spots and I mostly use the less wrinkle cycle, I will admit there are still wrinkles but not to excess. I do shake my clothes before I put them in the dryer and they come out with no wrinkles at all. When you load the machine you're supposed to put the clothes in around the middle with no clothes in the center of the machine. My clothes get plenty of water and completely cover whatever I have in the machine. Actually, I'm amazed at how clean my clothes are using so little detergent and I buy the cheapest I can find. It does take a little getting used to, hopefully you'll learn to love it as I do.

Luv2Decora­te1350045172.56525 PostsRegistered 5/2/2008Floating on Lake Michigan
On 10/12/2012 ID2 said:

I have a Samsung pair of HE front loading washer & dryer. I LOVE them! OP does your washer have different settings? I can set mine to do just about anything! If I don't want it to spin dry my clothes as much I can adjust that setting. Perhaps reread your manual to see if you can adjust your machines to work for your specific needs.

I have the Samsung's too. I love them as well! I have a steam setting in the dryer and it gets out any wrinkle. Those machines have so many setting and speeds they are great.

Funny story: when I first got the W/D I was showing my kids how to use them. I told our oldest (16 at the time) when he puts the clothes in the dryer, the machine folds them for him too. He looked at me and laughed. When he put the clothes in the dryer, I stopped the dryer when it had 2 minutes left, took the clothes out and folded them, put the dryer shelf in, placed the clothes on the dryer shelf. I called him and told him the dryer was almost done and that he needed to get his clothes out so I could put in another load. He stood there until the load was done, I then walked in, the look on his face was hysterical!

God is Great, Beer is Good and People are Crazy.

mominohio1350046662.9273862 PostsRegistered 8/8/2010

I've never heard anyone that I personally know say they were happy with their HE washer, no matter if it was a front loader or a top. I know I sound like an old lady, but I will stick with the old tried and true stuff for as long as it is made or as long as you can find it on the second hand market and keep it going. I understand that is certain areas of the country (and world for that matter) that water is scarce and expensive, and I know it is a resource that we need to respect, but we live in the country on our own artesian well, and water supply is not an issue, so I will continue to use the old fashioned washer.

I so wanted a front load washer because I remember from my days of going to the laundromat how clean the clothing got in them, but these "made for home" washers are not the same.

Daffy Duck1350046924.327677 PostsRegistered 9/11/2007

I'm sure glad I read this thread as I will be looking shortly for a new set or at least I thought I was. Now I will hold on to the OLD ones I have until they give out. They may not be pretty but at least they still do a good job. I recently moved them from my basement to a small area off the kitchen and thought a new set would look nicer.They really are pretty though.

evelyner1350047934.8132585 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I have a whirlpool, and do not have such a problem.. Maybe you should wash the delicate stuff on delicate cycle, and maybe you are overstuffing the machine?

mima1350048598.9314795 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS
On 10/11/2012 dgluvr said:

I have a MAYTAG -- Bravia line- gets great reviews from Consumer Reports- Obviously they didn't ask me!!!

Well that explains it. My Maytag also left my clothes really wrinkled and then the dryer just set them in. I hated that set.

I have a Samsung frontloading set now and it is the BOMB! Love them! The clothes come out nice and fluffy.

Mima

Nevadablue1350048953.4455 PostsRegistered 1/18/2008

Same here, I HATE mine did so from day 1. Mine are the maytag neptunes a few years old but when our house sells we are giving them away so we don't have to move them out of state. Not worth the space they take up in moving van. You take the clothes out hold them up to look and theres a wet spot every here and there! that does not make clean clothes. Savings in my water or electric bill? NOPE never saw one. I told hubby when we move I am buying 2 of the old agitator ones to keep before they are pulled from the market. Same way with the government fooling with these water saver toilets huh??????????????????? when you got to flush 2 or 3 times wheres the savings?

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next