Early Access
62 Members and 11507 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

Looking to get new sofa/chairs any reviews or recommendations?

Started 1303072774.16 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1304607976.18 by bk

We own a lazyboy recliner sofa, reclining rocker loveseat and a lazyboy chair. They have held up reasonably well however the sofa (which is used most) has broken down on the two ends and isn't very comfortable now. The fabric is also wearing out on the sofa. We really like the reclining part however only the two ends recline which leaves the middle section much higher than the ends and VERY uncomfortable to sit in the middle or if you want to lay down (your head is much lower). Would like to get a sofa that is well made (USA if possible) and durable (have animals). THANKS!

Page 1 of 2
BurbankKate1303072904.6036188 PostsRegistered 11/18/2007Home of: Disney Studios,W. Bros, Nickelodeon, Cartoon network, media capital of the world

The best place I've found for good furniture that lasts is Ethan Allen.

Last edited on 4/17/2011

Last edited on 4/17/2011

- A government big enough to give you everything you want, is then strong enough to take everything you have.
- Thomas Jefferson

shopandgo1303077743.447438 PostsRegistered 12/15/2009
On 4/17/2011 BurbankKate said:

The best place I've found for good furniture that lasts is Ethan Allen.

Last edited on 4/17/2011

Thank you we will look into them!

Gator Nurse1303131321.113258 PostsRegistered 4/26/2009

I have a LazyBoy couch and love seat that recline. They are made of leather and hold up fairly well. I do like their reclining feature more than any of the other's I've tried. I've found that leather couches and throw pillows aren't in the same sphere. They slide around on the leather.

The couch that I've had that was the best made was Ethan Allen. It has been in use since 1968. We gave it to friends. It's been reupholstered several times.

Now, the consensus in our family the couch that was the most comfortable to lay on was one that had arms that had an angle to them not straight up. It was made of plush cut gray corduroy and awesome! All of us are sorry we got rid of that set.

When you look at couches be sure that they seat you well. From your back to knees bending. Also if they are too low in the back they catch you wrong on the back of your neck.

Happy Hunting!

I prefer CI candles

shopandgo1303134631.593438 PostsRegistered 12/15/2009
On 4/18/2011 Gator Nurse said:

I have a LazyBoy couch and love seat that recline. They are made of leather and hold up fairly well. I do like their reclining feature more than any of the other's I've tried. I've found that leather couches and throw pillows aren't in the same sphere. They slide around on the leather.

The couch that I've had that was the best made was Ethan Allen. It has been in use since 1968. We gave it to friends. It's been reupholstered several times.

Now, the consensus in our family the couch that was the most comfortable to lay on was one that had arms that had an angle to them not straight up. It was made of plush cut gray corduroy and awesome! All of us are sorry we got rid of that set.

When you look at couches be sure that they seat you well. From your back to knees bending. Also if they are too low in the back they catch you wrong on the back of your neck.

Happy Hunting!

Thank you, we also had an old flexsteel sectional couch that we got rid of when we got the lazyboy set, the flexsteel was so much better made. We plan to go out looking tomorrow!

csv3201303135108.5836724 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007

I think suggestions to your question, OP, would really depend on your budget -- high end or mid end.

Jeanne R1303135778.544788 PostsRegistered 7/5/2010

let me just thinnk over as i do need that too

omnibus1303138236.72129 PostsRegistered 7/12/2010NE Wyoming

We currently have two La-z-boy recliners in our TV room. In the past we have tried recliners made by Lane, Action, Franklin and maybe one or two others. none have been as durable or comfortable as the original la-z-boy.

You will of course have many more options with conventional furniture.

MISERABLE661303140319.5634827 PostsRegistered 12/7/2010Noo Yawk

I love Raymour and Flanigan. Dont buy from Ashley. I found out the hard way that you cant flip their cushions because theyre one sided! Also they have velcro under the cushion so they dont slide out but they do still slide out slowly & its a pain to push them back in. Youd have to lift and push. I like to just push them in with my leg.

Good luck.

"Being miserable and treating people like dirt, is every New Yorkers god given right." - The mayor from Ghostbusters 2

shopandgo1303255021.903438 PostsRegistered 12/15/2009

Thanks for the information from everyone! I guess I should have added a price point. We don't have an exact dollar amount we plan to spend however we would like to stick between $1,500.00 to $3,000.00 for a couch & chairs. With our animals we weren't sure we wanted to go with leather. We did find that flexsteel is still making good furniture in the USA but do have a cheap line that is made in China. Also there is an England furniture company that is made in USA that has some nice pieces. We are open to the recliner sofa or a regular sofa with an ottoman.

Kittyface1303255194.877649 PostsRegistered 7/18/2006WNY

FYI England is LazyBoy. We have England and it's holding up really well! Enjoy your search!

shopandgo1303348000.203438 PostsRegistered 12/15/2009
On 4/19/2011 Kittyface said:

FYI England is LazyBoy. We have England and it's holding up really well! Enjoy your search!

Thanks! I didn't notice that and went back to read their website again! The mechanisms have held up very well on ours but the fabric (which they said was very durable) didn't hold up as well on the couch. The fake suede fabric on the chair has held up like steel!

BuddhaMom1303357581.78172 PostsRegistered 4/10/2010

Why don't you check out Mitchell Gold sofas? I've had mine for ten years and it looks and feels brand new. Very well made and all the styles are simple and beautiful. I got it at Crate and Barrel (don't know if they still carry this line) and it is within your price range. And I agree with the other ladies that Ethan Allen is another good choice to check out. Have fun!

duke mom1303389747.891442 PostsRegistered 7/12/2009

Bob Timberlake furniture is made in the USA. He fought hard to keep his line in the US when all other furniture manufacturing was going overseas. He even helped to start a furniture manufacturing plant to make his line in the US.

Ranchergal1303390108.5934264 PostsRegistered 6/13/2007

We had two LazyBoy recliners. They didn't hold up well. At that time we had a couple of people in the family who weighed around 200 lbs. I think the weight may have had something to do with it. I'm afraid to purchase LazyBoy again. This is a great thread as I also need a new sofa and chair.

MSA20041303390967.1574675 PostsRegistered 8/3/2010Midwest, USA

We just purchased our new bed from Ethan Allen. Loving it so far! We got our dressers from Crate & Barrel and they are doing wonderfully.

My parents have had a LazyBoy sleeper sofa for forever and it is great! Mom had them do something to the mattress to upgrade it from that "standard" sleeper sofa nobody wants to sleep on to some 5 star luxury hotel quality that people fight for. It is really nice. No recliners in the sofa though.

I will make a note of that that the ends with the recliner sag due to being used, and the center does not.

BTW - Those of you who have re-upholstered sofas - how do you find someone great to do the work? We have a sofa that I want to have reupholstered, but I am not sure where to get the work done. Thanks!

Something Wonderful Is About To Happen!!!!

Gloria1303392351.694314 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

We have had a Lazy Boy Sectional with 4 recliners in our family room for over 10 years. It has held up very well (and we live in this room!). We have had to have the mechanism on 2 of them (end ones) repaired a couple of times. I am pasting their warranty policy, which is quite good. Many things, like the mechanism parts, have a lifetime warranty (just have to pay labor after the first year). We just had to purchase another recliner that reclines as a bed for another room and purchased it elsewhere (Lazy Boy didn't have something comparable). Nice recliner, but you have to pay for an extended warranty on the mechanism, etc.

http://www.la-z-boy.com/Support/Warranty/?WT.ac=customercare@topmenu

Ranchergal1303428460.1834264 PostsRegistered 6/13/2007

Bump

bits1303429633.5871388 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I love the sofa and loveseat I got from Lee. They are American made and just gorgeous. Check out Lee Industries for dealers. I also got for our family room a sofa, club chair and ottoman from Ethan Allen. I got the Corbett collection. I got them in Denim thinking they would last forever. I also wanted natural fabrics that weren't treated with a bunch of chemicals. The construction is fabulous. They are extremely comfortable. However, the denim faded with in a year to a dirty yellowish brownish color. The look like cheap greasy old wrangler jeans! My new sofas actually look worse than the original 10 year old sofas I replaced. Ethan Allen is not the same store it used to be. My wood pieces from years ago are still lovely, American made heirloom pieces. A lot of what they offer now is made in China. Not saying that is a bad thing so don't slam me. But the OP is looking for made in America. I am pretty sure EA"s soft goods are still made in the USA. I would do Lee or Pottery Barn.

jaburg1303433951.953997 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I ordered my LR sofa and chairs from Ethan Allen in 1982. It was reupholstered 10 or so years later. It doesn't get lots of use, but it is timeless in design, quality is excellent and all has held up very well. I have other EA furniture that is from 1978 and it is all in great shape. Made in USA, too. I'm sure there are other good products out there.

I have Natuzzi sofa and loveseat in my FR, and they are going on 16 years old, but have been repaired a few times and I really could not recommend this brand to anyone, while they look good, the quality is only fair.

I have a lazyboy recliner, and it has held up reasonably well, quality is good.

Good luck in your search!

shopandgo1303477764.48438 PostsRegistered 12/15/2009

Thanks for all the additional recommendations. I am looking them up and adding them to our list to go look at in the stores. I did notice a Lane sectional couch at Sam's club that "looked" just like leather however it was a faux suede? Was interesting because I wouldn't of even considered leather but like the look of it.

JusMe13034824682102 PostsRegistered 3/26/2008~* oHIo *~

Our couch is made by 'Smith Brothers of Berne' Located in Berne Indiana, USA.

Their furniture can be purchased from different retailers around the country. (We purchased ours at Wayside Furniture in Akron, OH) They are Amish and take great pride in their work and the quality is outstanding!

There is a label on my couch that has each of their handwritten initials by each person that constructed a certain part of the couch... base, cutting, sewing, etc... each have the persons initials next to it. I think that is awesome!

We have had this couch for about 7 years now and it is still like new! We chose a durable fabric because we live with 3 Jack Russell Terriers {#emotions_dlg.blink}

I would say this is the best couch ever made and would HIGHLY recommend this company! Here's the link to their website...

Smith Brothers of Berne

ETA: I forgot to mention, they even have a 5000 series which allows you to design your own couch... check this out... Build Your Own

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Last edited on 4/22/2011

Last edited on 4/22/2011

Anniecamp1303483228.0773786 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Anything by Henredon. It will last until you want to get rid of it, not because it wore out.

MSA20041303492909.434675 PostsRegistered 8/3/2010Midwest, USA

Our Ethan Allen bed was made in Vermont - USA. They did not make it until we ordered it. It is so beautiful, well made, and we just love it. Great warranty on it as well.

Something Wonderful Is About To Happen!!!!

shopandgo1303602086.537438 PostsRegistered 12/15/2009

So glad to see so many furniture manufacturers still made in the USA. Everyone has been very helpful and gave me many companies I hadn't heard of, can't wait to go out and start looking! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

AuntG1303602920.4576196 PostsRegistered 1/31/2009Wisconsin
On 4/21/2011 duke mom said:

Bob Timberlake furniture is made in the USA.

I viewed some of his items online and was really interested, but everything says "call for pricing". It doesn't seem practical to keep calling for various prices. He'd do much better to have them available to the consumer.

Page 1 of 2