Meant for Mom(SM)
173 Members and 12713 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

How long should a dishwasher last?

Started 1301024077.983 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1301663487.143 by 1Piper

I have had mine for seven years and it started leaking today. It's used almost every day or every two days. I am going to have it looked at, but should it have lasted longer? It's just a middle of the road price range dishwasher.

Page 1 of 2
mother bear1301025989.553843 PostsRegistered 12/10/2010Puget Sound

In my previous house my dishwasher kept chugging along for 15 years.

DaniM1301027300.68889 PostsRegistered 1/25/2009
On 3/24/2011 mother bear said:

In my previous house my dishwasher kept chugging along for 15 years.

Old ones last forever, new ones need to be replaced in about five years

dgluvr1301027644.25156 PostsRegistered 5/12/2008

If the previous poster ( mother bear)didn't have to pay out for any repairs in that time and used it like you use yours- I think she got really lucky because I think the norm is about 10 years. Seems like things aren't made as well though ( notice a lot of things only come with 90 days warranty for small appliances and maybe a year for big ( like dishwashers). So seeing as repairmen charge for just walking in the door, maybe it's time for a little research on the best record. ( I think Boche (SP) a german made is tops in Consumer reports- but I've only had Kitchenaid and they perform well. Try washing by hand a few days- then go shopping after doing your homework-- Oh, and a newswoman I know- said the best deals can sometimes be at smaller retailers because their business depends on word of mouth and repeat ( for other appliances) ( We got ours at a place that has 2 locations and highly satisfied.

Last edited on 3/24/2011

Last edited on 3/24/2011

nutmeg31301028894.8574246 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ

I just checked Consumer Reports repair history on dishwashers:

Whirlpool, Kenmore with (front opening draw), Hotpoint, Bosch, Kenmore. These machines all had 8 or 9 numbers in repair history. LG and Fisher & Paykel, are at the bottom of the list with 20 and 23.

Jeanne R1301058008.4474788 PostsRegistered 7/5/2010

i guess it must have gone

ReagansMom1301059787.677245 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007

I had a Whirlpool dishwasher that lasted 2 1/2 years. The repairman said the motor was going bad. It was making a horrible racket. My oven (also Whirlpool) had mega problems after 1 year. No more Whirlpool anything for me.

Zoologist1301060133.2435971 PostsRegistered 9/3/2010

The newer the product, the shorter the working life.

Used to be, items were made to L A S T.

Now, they're made to fall apart sooner to give the companies more sales.

Used to be, a Kenmore appliance did not need the extended warranty - it was built to lastl.

Now, items are almost disposable.

My SONY TV was built in 1992. Works like a dream. Only had 1 repair in all this time.

Show me any TV on the market today that will still be working 19 years later and I'd be glad to buy it.

Too bad Honda doesn't make appliances and TVs!

blue_weima­raner1301060906.8771138 PostsRegistered 7/17/2007Pennsylvania

I just bought a new dishwasher last weekend! Our 12 year old Asko (Swedish-made) just burned out. (literally, burned out, by the way...glad we were home at the time)

The salesman that sold us our new one said that 12 years is a really long time to have a dishwasher. He said they are "disposable appliances" ....nice huh? We bought a Kenmore Elite. *crosses fingers* that it's a good one. I wouldn't buy another Asko. You can't get parts and no one wants to work on them. Since dishwashers are apparently disposable, I guess you just toss them right out anymore..

good luck in repairing yours, Pianomama. If it's too expensive to fix you may be better off getting a new one. Wink Sure keeps the economy rolling right along, doesn't it?

my weimaraner is smarter than your honor student

* whatever doesn't kill me had better start running *

queendiva1301061716.073209 PostsRegistered 9/22/2006

A DW is always the first to go of all kitchen appliances.

If you have used yours almost daily for 7 years, then it's probably about that time. As DWs don't last all that long, don't spend a ton of money on your next one. Get one with only the features you really need and use-forget about the extra "bells & whistles".

My last DW was not the best-Jenn-Air that came new with the house, builder's grade. It lasted about 10 years, but was used about 4 times/week.

Last edited on 3/25/2011

Last edited on 3/25/2011

JusMe1301062357.852102 PostsRegistered 3/26/2008~* oHIo *~

I have had my dishwasher for 8 years now and last year it started leaking. I thought for sure I would have to buy a new one.

The service man came out and it turned out all it needed was a new seal around the door. He said the rubber seal around the door will break down over time due to the heat.

He also said to prolong the life of the seal, open the door as soon as the washer is finished and then immediately close it again to let it finish drying. Apparently this action stops the door from sticking as it dries and puts less stress on the seal when you open the door to empty the dishwasher later.

He put the new seal on and it has been just fine ever since. It sure was a big relief not to have to replace the whole machine!

Pianomama1301081933.3832698 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007southern California

Jusme, I am hoping that will happen with mine. It still seems to clean the dishes fine. The contractor who did my kitchen last year is coming to look at it, since they hooked it up. (didn't get a new one then-probably should have).

Brabls1301082708.32314740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

I don't like how short lived new appliances are. I replaced all of my kitchen appliances within the past 3 years-and have started a special savings account because I suspect they will all go about the same time!{#emotions_dlg.glare}

My Sky1301082782.153265 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007

My last two dishwashers have been Kenmore. I should have learned my lesson with the first one when, after just a few short years, the door would fly open when you opened it and it would cost more to fix it than to get a new one. The same thing has happened to my second Kenmore after 5 years. When you open the door and let go, it drops like a rock - a danger to kids and pets.

Last edited on 3/25/2011

Last edited on 3/25/2011

Breky1301083075.582052 PostsRegistered 6/29/2008Connecticut Shoreline

It could just be a hose. Unfortunately, appliances just don't last as long as they used to. My poor DS had a Kitchenaid that was as old as the hills but kept on kicking. They redid their kitchen and they replaced it. They just purchased their third, yes third, dishwasher in ten years. They lamented that they should have kept the old clunker that worked.

Pats

ford12241301083124.1233586 PostsRegistered 6/7/2010

It's called "planned obsolescence," and is rampant in the appliance industry. All appliances could be manufactured to last 20 years or more . . . they aren't deliberately. Therefore, you have to replace them every five to ten years to keep the economy going.

It's like cell phones. They are made to automatically "die" every two-three years so you have to buy a new one. We all know it.

Whatsoever things are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

little dai­sy1301084024.8472207 PostsRegistered 3/6/2007

I have a Maytag and it's over twenty years old and works great.

patintc1301107225.557564 PostsRegistered 3/3/2006TC Michigan

I've been in the appliance industry for OMG 40 years now. I worked at Whirlpool, my DH & I own an appliance service company and I work at the "blue" home improvement store selling appliances. Appliances are not made as they once were that's for sure. We want features galore and don't want to spend an arm & a leg for them. That's the main thing that drives the industry. To get what we want manufacturers have resorted to getting less expensive parts that don't last as long as they did in the past. Parts and service are more expensive now too. I personally buy the extended protection plans on everything now. I get 5 years of no charge service for a nominal charge. Check into the prices of the plans each dealer has and add that to the bottom line if you'd like that protection. Also check into whether the dealer offers free delivery/haul away since that can add to the final cost.

Ellie07141301120697.921791 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern California

we replaced our old Kitchenaid DW after 14 years of daily use. it was still working.

kittymom61301124176.0071203 PostsRegistered 8/10/2010

I have a KitchenAid that is about 15 years old. I must say I am not an ordinary user. I run a full cycle of dishes, glasses and silverware about every 5 days.

I keep the inside clean, and NO MATTER WHAT rinse dishes before putting in. That is a sure wayto get build up that will untilmately plug up your plumbing.

I invested in a Homeowner's Plus type insurance (mainly for heater and A/C) but it incidentally will repair/replace a dishwasher among many other major appliances. I pay around $30 (in my mortgage payment) and feel it's good peace of mind. A/C where I live cango upwards of 10k.

palmajo1301124355.0077392 PostsRegistered 10/22/2007

I have had a Kenmore for 16 years and it's still going strong!!

PS--I use it everyday!

Last edited on 3/26/2011

Last edited on 3/26/2011

"The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart"

barbados1301124755.0914405 PostsRegistered 5/21/2007

I have a General Electric that came in my house when it was built 18 years ago and it's still running great. Love GE.

Luckylu II1301138574.871408 PostsRegistered 2/7/2011

My Kitchenaid dw is going on 12 years. Every once in awhile I run something thru it to clean out iron or calcium or whatever might clog the jets in it. So far, so good. I'm probably jinxing myself by even posting this......

My Kitchenaid range is another matter. Almost 6 years old. Gas, Stainless, convection, iron grates cover the top completely, has the one really hot burner, and we've had the electronics replaced three times.....under warranty.... and now I need to call them again. NOT under warranty. WHY? Because the tea pot was too full and the water sputtered out on the burner, got into the electronic board that is located UNDER THE HOTTEST BURNER! The one I need to heat water for pasta? And CS basically implied that I'm the stupid one, because every once in a while I have a boil over. DUH! Am I the only one that ever has water splash out or boil over? WHY would you put the electronics under that burner? Kitchenaid told me that when any water gets in there, I should blow it dry with a hair dryer! O, and be very careful when you clean it. So I need to use a match to light the burner and the oven doesn't heat past a certain temp because of the electronic board. I wish I would have kept the old gas stove from my grandmother's house that had the old pilot light and HOT burners!

Heaven forbid my Kenmore front loader ever dies. It's going on 15 years old. My mother has been thru 2 washers in as many years and is waiting on a repairman this week. She can't understand why she has to run a cleaner thru her washer every month. It's an HE and STINKS when she doesn't run a full cycle with hot water with a cleaner in it. The last HE she returned was chewing her clothes and believe me when I say, she is easy on all her appliances and doesn't over load.

With all the talk about green and recycle, why are they making appliances that have to be replaced in a very short time????????

When I went to buy a new fridge, the guy told me that most all brands use the same compressor and then they just change up a few shelves and handles and put their own name plate on them. So just pick one with the features you like, they are all going to die sooner than you think they should.

Sorry to go on and on, but I've been furious about my range for the past few days and am ready to shove it out the back door and run over it with my jeep before I take it to the scrap yard for a few bucks!

"Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest."
— Sam Levenson

Idacat1301410115.424706 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!

My last dishwasher lasted 23 years. A GE no less. I'd never buy anything GE now.

My son is a plumber (commercial contractor) advised AGAINST Bosch,LG, GE,Hotpoint, Fisher-Paykel. Meile, Asko, any brand or model without a built in disposal, and any without a heat dry cycle. He recommended we buy one of the brands or models made by Whirlpool. This includes not just Whirlpool but Maytag, Kitchenaid, and some Kenmores. With Kenmore you need to be careful and compare with models you KNOW are made by Whirlpool,you can tell because they look the same in terms of control position, etc. Some Kenmores, the higher end ones with trendy bells and whistles, are made by Bosch and LG, so be careful, you might get a machine with bells and whistles but no dry cycle and no disposal, only a screen that needs to be cleaned frequently or it will smell like rotten food.

In our situation his recommendation was we get one with a sani cycle that includes its own mechanism to heat water and to keep it very hot. This is because our water heater is a long way from the dishwasher and hot water is important.

We chose a mid range Whirlpool, and, that choice was made partially on the way Whirlpools was the upper rack. The upper wash arm connects to and fills from the back of the machine, it doesn't come up from the center of the bottom creating a dead space you cannot use to wash dishes.

For my son's family my DIL chose a Maytag with adjustable racks.

Both of these were purchased 5-6 years ago and are running fine with no problems or repairs; I wash everything, pots and pans and grungy casseroles in the dishwasher and use the pots and pans cycle, so it gets high moderate if not heavy use; my son and DIL have children and she sometimes runs hers twice a day.

A leak is not a death sentence for a dishwasher; the most common cause is the door seal, an easy, quick, inexpensive fix.

bonnielu1301411263.575038 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

I had one that lasted 40 years and when I remodeled a few months ago I updated and changed to a new fancy one that is falling apart as we speak.

Pianomama1301414590.262698 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007southern California

bonnielu, can I have your old one?{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

My contractor looked at my dishwasher and why it was leaking, and so far, has come up with no answers. Thinking now it could be the garbage disposal. Hasn't been back since Saturday so don't know yet.

Few things are made like they used to be. A shame for the consumer. After all, we all have money trees in our backyard to keep replacing "new" things.

Page 1 of 2