Respected Contributor

It is that time of year again and ankle pants a back with full force. This leads me to my question,

What is the best length for a ankle pant to be so it looks like an ankle pant and not a pair of pants that are too short? More accurately, how far above the ankle should the hem hit?

I see some women wearing ankle pants and they look so sharp and others where I am thinking ? high waters?

Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ankle pants HELP please.

To my eye, more important than the length is the width at the hemline. I feel the bottom of the ankle pant should almost hug your leg so you don't look like you have your little sister's pants on.

Esteemed Contributor

ITA w/ magicmoodz...to me it's more about the width at hemline....narrow is better than full ... imo...at least for me. But because I do have hips (chuckle) I don't like the look of skinny or close to my leg pants as it makes me look even wider at the hips.

What I recently did to get a nice ankle pant was I bought two pair of LDO's LL pants and hemmed one pair to be at the top of my ankle (so you can see the ankle). I can wear these w/ my Go Walks or Fit Flops and they look nice. The reason it works for me is that the LDO pants are more of a straight and a bit narrow of a leg ... not a taper ... and not skinny ... but the bottom of the leg does not flare out in the least.

I am 5'5"" w/ about a 30 - 31 inch inseam but cannot wear a petite due to the rise being too short or I would have picked up the petite and not have to hem.

You may have to try on several pairs of pants to find one that works for you. Good luck.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

Isaac's famous ankles are petite 26, average 28. These are his 24/7 Stretch ankles. I want to try them, but I think $54. for them are a little much. I agree, some that don't fit right at the ankle, look bad and usually when they're too short, they hike up a bit in the back and makes them look bad.

Respected Contributor

On 3/28/2015 magicmoodz said:

To my eye, more important than the length is the width at the hemline. I feel the bottom of the ankle pant should almost hug your leg so you don't look like you have your little sister's pants on.

This is spot on.

Honored Contributor

I have tried lots of ankle pants, but can't find one that doesn't make me look like I bought my pants in the wrong length. I think they are so cute for spring and summer, and I love the look on other women, but I just don't like them on me. I agree that the narrower or slim leg opening is the way to go.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I agree the width of the leg is key, but I find most ankle pants of tapered properly, so that helps.

Playing with a few pair today, I think I found a good length--now to find a tailor to make my ankle pants approp for my 63 inch frame

Frequent Contributor

It seems like the type of shoe worn with ankle pants is also key but I am not quite sure what the key is?

Honored Contributor

I've never found ankle pants that l think are flattering on me. I have long legs, and they all look like they're just full-length pants that shrunk in the dryer. Instead, l wear capris that go a few inches below the knee.
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Super Contributor

another thing, have I missed something or what is with the hosts rolling up their pants legs??? Maybe it's a 'new' thing. Inform me, please.