Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, 3/4)

Good morning, shopping friends. We have flooding taking place right now but I'm up above it but my access road is cut off. We are also looking "forward" to the possibility of 8 inches of snow by tomorrow evening. Needless to say, school is scrubbed again. Those summer vacation days are disappearing! Spring break has already been converted to instructional days.

I won't be buying the TSV. I have found, for me, that it is better to buy the individual items that I would use as opposed to a set in which some items would rarely if ever be used. There is an auction site near the capitol city that has a QVC auction once a month. I have seen some of the dinnerware, etc. people have gotten at a great price. I may go with a friend to check it out someday.

I got a chuckle out of reading the "holes in jeans" thread. It is just one of those things that come and go. I can remember when no one would be caught out with holes in their jeans as that indicated they were too poor to buy new jeans. I primarily see teens wearing jeans with holes now. Part of this might be regional in terms of what is in and what is out. Our dress code keeps us from wearing jeans unless they are dress jeans or a jean type construction but made of a fabric or color that makes them less "jean looking."

I put out five 30-gallon bags of trash this morning, plus boxes. I still am gradually adding things to the "collection box" for donation with one full box in the car trunk, and another being filled. I can say that if one stops for some reason, those little gems seem to multiply like rabbits so it is a never-ending job.

I have downloaded 3 Prime movies from Amazon to my little Kindle Fire, as well as a full season for two television shows, Prime music selections, a few books, and some games. I have a big tablet I love but this one will be the one I take with me for travel, etc. as it easily fits inside a handbag. The 10.1 inch is great but it takes up room and is much heavier.

I wouldn't have gotten the 6 inch Fire but the reviews were so great for that size by people who travel a lot. I don't travel a lot but I have my moments, plus I have had my share of waiting for appointments. It basically is the size of my Kindle e-reader. I got it when it went on sale plus I had a credit from Amazon because I complained about something slightly damaged in shipping. It wasn't that noticeable but I still complained and got the credit and was able to keep the item at a reduced cost. It pays to complain at times.

I have a nagging headache which is unusual as I don't get headaches that often. I do see, however, that it is a common reaction to the new drug when first taking it. I still have not received confirmation of the appointment with the electrophysiologist or EP in the capital city to see what the next step will be in the treatment process. I often want things to happen too quickly.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, 3/4)

Sorry, I did check, but Jean must have started our thread just before me. Here is what I posted.

-------------------

Good Morning! It is cool and cloudy here today (high may only get to 60 degrees), but I know our weather is so much better than many parts of the country. Hope those of you in the cold/rainy/snowy/icy zone stay safe. I don't think that there is a big chance of rain today, but I did get the car washed yesterday, so..... The car wash place told me that they would re-wash the car if rain happened in 48 hours, which I thought was a very generous offer (and probably one that they could only offer in a place like this that doesn't get much rain.) The car certainly needed washing, so I'm happy.

DH and I did make it to the gym yesterday -- it got pretty crowded, but I was able to use "my" eliptical machine without waiting, and I only had to wait one time for "my" other machines. We also took a short walk later.

Today I plan to have my hair cut -- driving me crazy again, go for a walk, go to Curves, and hopefully do some cleaning.

I received an e-mail from the hostess of the party we attended on Sunday, and she has been diagnosed with whooping cough. Apparently, it isn't too serious in adults, but what a thing to have happen. Hopefully, neither DH will come down with it.

Waves to Jean, Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Gayle, Susan, Marijane, LindaR, Rosa, pinky ann, Karen, and all of our posters and readers. Hope many of you can check in with us, and everyone has a good day.

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- Sorry about the flooding in your area, and your headache Jean. Like you, I can be very impatient waiting for appointments.

I read the thread about holes in jeans, and like Jean. I remember jeans with holes were the fashion in earlier times (70's), but they didn't appeal to me then or now. I guess I thought of them as things worn by rebels, teens, etc., and I didn't fit that description even in the 70's when I was in my 20's and already had a child. Yes, I am definitely in the "senior: category. I asked DD (who is Kathleen's age), if she wore jeans with holes, and she said no. But, she said others did so (mostly younger), and it could look good. Since I live in a mostly retirement area, I don't see them often. Also, we have a relatively short "jean" season since our "summers"/hot weather last quite a while. I guess I have seen "distressed" shorts more than jeans. As long as underwear doesn't show, I don't have a problem with them.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--I also checked before I hit the submit button. I usually check, then write and then check again. We must have been doing all this at the same time.

That's a great deal on the car wash. We have a small city in our state which serves free lemonade if the temperature goes above 90 degrees in the Summer. That offer couldn't be made in my town; it would go broke as would the towns near me. Enjoy the haircut a little thing like that can really refresh you! Let's hope the whooping cough doesn't affect you and DH.

I see Waste Management has picked up all my boxes and the 5 30-gallon trash bags. I've already got another one started.

I really would like some comfort food but I broke over and had something yesterday I'm not supposed to eat. I think I'll have the Progressive Light clam chowder for lunch. I did get another email from the cardiology practice just to update me on the progress of the referral. They are great at communicating.

I've seen the SG TSV but I'm interested in seeing what else she will have in her shows. I'm in the mood to buy another top. I didn't have time yesterday to check out items in the city as I wanted to get back before the rain downpour started.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Good morning:

Jean you certainly have been having weather. Flooding and then a bunch of snow!. We are warm and muggy here today but we are expecting an artic blast to hit us later today or this evening. Chance of freezing stuff.

Karen: Sending you hugs. You have certainly had your share of family health issues.

LindaL: Whooping cough! Oh my goodness. I know there was an outbreak in my area last year. I remember when I was small my mother told me there was whooping cough in the hospital and they were concerned for the babies.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, I hadnn't had time to turn the TV on yet so I had to see what the TSV was. I only buy pans one or two at a time as the rest never seem to get used & after downsizing my kitchen items a few years ago I am not adding needless things anymore. Sorry about the flooding & heavy snow in the forecast. Talking about "holes" in jeans. I just told my DH a while ago that if we would have had holes in our jeans we would not have gone to school. I remember about 6 years ago or so when our DSIL was getting rid of some of his old holey jeans & our DGS probably 8 at the time said "dad let's give them to Uncle Mark as he likes holes in his jeans." Our DDIL bought our DS a pair of designer "holey" jeans. He wore them when he came back to visit all of us. Our DGS still remembers the episode with the holey jeans. Our DS & DDIL live in the Boston area so do dress very nicely when out & about but also dress with the latest fashion idea when dressing casually.

LL, It is nice for the car wash guarantee. I don't think any place around here does that but every time we take our vehicle for an oil change etc. they give it a wonderful car wash & vacuum the entire interior. I am getting my haircut next Tuesday. I always look forward to getting it cut & being so easy to take care of.

Breakfast today was at the Blue Ox. The other choice was the Red Apple. They are both a block from each other & they are always busy as they are both a block from our very busy senior center. Then we went across the street to Walgreen's to buy some Dawn dish soap. It is my favorite & on sale for 75 cents w/coupon. We ended up at Shopko for their senior citizen sale. I needed some new bras & they were on sale plus another 15% off. Not an exciting purchase but I like a certain brand & they are sometimes hard to find.

Lunch will be light as we are still full from breakfast. Then we will enjoy the hot tub. It will be on the cold side today & tomorrow but the sunshine makes it feel very comfortable. Then a warming trend is starting on Friday & going into most of next week. We don't have much snow on the ground & it should be gone in a few days. I got an email from my GF that lives only about 25 minutes away from us & she said they got lots of heavy snow yesterday. We got about 1 1/2" & it was very light. I think that they got some of the freezing rain that we didn't get. That makes it much heavier.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda R, I was watching the weather station this morning & they showed messy weather in the Dallas area. Ice is not fun to deal with. We have had a very good winter considering the rest of the country. I hope it continues for the rest of the month. They did say that if our snow is all gone by the weekend or early next week & it should be, we will be in the 50's next week. That is above normal for this time of year.

LL, whooping cough is terrible. Hopefully you & your DH stay healthy. We see them show cases on TV of babies that look like they are coughing to death.

I forgot to mention that DH & I also went to Aldi's for some fresh fruit. I got strawberries for $1.29 a qt & got them last week for $1.99. I also got a nice large cantaloupe for 99 cents. It looks good so I hope that I am not disappointed. Lunch today for me is fresh strawberries & a slice of cantaloupe.

Esteemed Contributor

LindaR--You certainly have been having cold weather in your area lately, something I would not have considered for your area. For those not used to it, I imagine snow and its challenges are a treat.

Twinny--It is amazing what a few miles difference makes in weather conditions. You definitely have been having a better Winter than we have. I certainly wouldn't want to be in the Boston area. Your hot tub is such a great way to relax; I see my Kindle e-reader the same way.

I'm staring at a handbag that I've often used but think it is destined to go into the donation box. All good things come to an end, and I have handbags to be used. I just need to clean it out first. Why knows what is lurking in the bottom?

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

It's bright and sunny,and the last time I checked it was 69° out, so I'm headed out to do some shopping, since it's supposed to be much, much colder tomorrow with snow forecast for the next few days. {#emotions_dlg.crying} What strange weather!

It rained all day yesterday but I had to get out of the house, so I went out for a chicken dinner, which was very good, and I had something to return to Ollie's. I came out of there after having spent only about $17 - I got a new cozy novel, a muffin cookbook that's absolutely wonderful (many unique recipes), a couple of dish towels (I use at least one every day and wipe down the counters with it at night before it's tossed in the laundry - saves on paper towels - and a bunch are getting ratty), and several bags of snacks for the soldiers' Easter goody bags. Hopefully the Easter tracts I ordered will be in soon so I can get the bags made up and on their way.

Jean, I have more purses than I can use; I have quite a few new ones that I listed for sale; I'm still debating whether or not I should return the one I got for Christmas to Kohl's, since I have a gift receipt. I like the style, but it's a leopard print, and that's just not "me."

I think the whole trend of raggy looking clothing is ridiculous; I really long for the days when people had pride in their appearance and didn't look like slobs. Someone posted an article about it on my website; when I get home later I'll post it here.

Hope you had a nice lunch, twinny; you deserve a break. Does your sister help you with your mom? I saw that sale on cantaloupe at Aldi and want to get one; they have pineapple for 99¢ as well. I bought some strawberries in Publix a few days ago, and once again have been disappointed; I don't remember the last time I had nice, sweet strawberries - seems they're always sour anymore. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

LindaL, you remind me - my car is in desperate need of a wash, and needs the inside vacuumed, but there's no point in doing it until the weather clears up a bit. At the very least though I guess I should clean the dogs' "nose art" from the windows! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I guess I'd better get dressed and be on my way; the rain is supposed to start around 6 p.m. I didn't feel like doing that last exam last night, so that's on the agenda for tonight, along with paying some bills on-line (I hate paying utilities) and doing my FAFSA. How exciting - NOT!

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, it is amazing at what I find in handbags that I use for good. I have been looking for a lipstick since Christmas & found it last week in a purse that I took to church. FHG, my sister has not been up to see our mom for almost 14 years. Ridiculous I know. She is married & they live about 6 hours away. That is why I get tired of being told that we are retired & expected to do everything. I have earned my "crown" & DH has more than earned his.
Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--It is unfair but it is often true that the care of a parent is often the sole responsibility of only one or two children while the rest have no idea of what the job entails. 6 hours away is not that far. You are right; you and DH have earned your "crown." I gave my niece a person once and in a hidden area, she found a $5 bill I had quickly stashed and had forgotten.

Arlene--Why wash a car in this weather? Five minutes out of the car wash, the car is dirty again! You are so right about strawberries; it is difficult to find good strawberries. They can look so nice and red on the outside but almost totally white on the inside. Dressing nice? I remember when people dressed up to fly. I don't advocate returning to that but I have seen people wearing casual and very worn clothes on a plane. I don't mind nice casual but people should not look like those people captured in those "people of Wal-Mart" pictures.