Regular Contributor

If Isaac Mizrahi sold his company to Excel Brands in 2011 who designs his clothes for QVC?

Is this why he seems surprised at times to see the clothes as they are presented? I know he points out his signature hallmarks during his presentations--the matching of patterns, the quality of the fabrics, the classic, often equestrian, designs. Maybe part of the purchase agreement was his staying on as a design consultant/spokesperson?

Valued Contributor

Re: If Isaac Mizrahi sold his company to Excel Brands in 2011 who designs his clothes for QVC?

There was an article in the NY Times a couple of years ago about Isaac and the sale of his brand. He sold the company and basically agreed to be the face of the company. According to the article, he doesn't do much designing any more but was busy writing a script for a Broadway play. They interviewed him and he seemed quite happy.

Honored Contributor

Re: If Isaac Mizrahi sold his company to Excel Brands in 2011 who designs his clothes for QVC?

Probably some of the same people who designed them before he sold the company. Most designer brands have multiple designers working for them and the name on the label isn't the person who designs the clothing sold in stores. That person may oversee thing or makes final decisions or may not. Sometimes they continue to design some specialty items. That's why design houses don't immediately collapse when the person they are named for dies suddenly. Versace, Alexander McQueen, Oscar de la Renta, etc. - they continue on because those people aren't the main designers.

Esteemed Contributor

Was part of his selling his brand include that all the models MUST wear sunglasses during his time on air....so ridiculous....

Respected Contributor

I think the sunglasses give the model a certain flair!

Respected Contributor

Someone posted a while back that QVC's ""designers"" select items from a catalog (probably put together by unknown designers) and give permission to link their names to the products.

Makes sense to me.

Valued Contributor

I go through stages with Issacs things. Some seasons I'll order several things and other times, I just can't stand the stuff they put out. They made such a flurry about the 24/7 TSV PANTS. So, I ordered several colors and am so disappointed in them. The fit was awful on me. "His" items remind me of what Target or Kohls does with designers that come to them with collection. Like the Vera Wang stuff at Kohls. I've seen real VW and what Kohls said is far from it! How could it be at the prices from Kohls. And, back to Isaac; he does act surprised quite often, I agree that he is just the name and face. The man is super rich. He doesn't need QVC, they need him.
Trusted Contributor

On 3/4/2015 insomniac said:

Someone posted a while back that QVC's "designers" select items from a catalog (probably put together by unknown designers) and give permission to link their names to the products.

Makes sense to me.

I don't know if this is true of all QVC's designers, but clearly a number of QVC's imported products are produced in overseas factories, doubtless selected from a variety of available items and then tweaked and labeled to be sold under a designer's name. I remember posters saying they have found garments elsewhere that were exactly the same as some of the things IM is selling on QVC, but with other labels.

Frequent Contributor

IMO, all clothing, handbag and shoe designs brought to QVC are created by inhouse designers and sewn by the same manufacturer. They do claim the items are "exclusive" to QVC. I recall someone posting about receiving a Linea item with a Susan Graver garment label.
Valued Contributor

May be true about the other designers, but I think Susan Graver is still vitally involved in the design of her clothing. She may have designers working for her, but she seems to be more involved in their development than the others. What do others think about SG's tie to her line?