Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, 3/3)

Good afternoon, shopping friends. I just returned from the city where I did a fast job of shopping for groceries and other necessities at Wal-Mart. I had not been in it since December 31, so the contribution to the Wal-Mart coffers was a bit large.

I returned home in time for lunch but then got a telephone call from my Florida niece's significant other and ex husband. She has had her ups and downs but apparently he has been told to consider hospice.

The rain has started with the possibility of flooding, followed by 4-8 inches of snow in my area late Wednesday and Thursday. We will eventually have Spring if it is as late as June. Our Summer last year was more like our usual Spring.

I did watch part of the new QVC line up last night when I was not watching "The Voice." It looks like a new format to display the traditional items. What's new is old.

This morning on QVC, I saw them pushing the Monster vac at a clearance price of $29+. Guess what? Said vac was in Wal-Mart at the same price but without choice of color. Who cares about the color if using the critter around a litter box, etc? It came home with me without paying shipping and handling. Money saved! I have a good mini-vac but don't want to use it with kitty litter, etc.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, 3/3)

Hello ladies, sorry to hear about your niece Jean. Thoughts and prayers go out to her and her family. She sure has had a rough time as well as the family. I guess I never saw the Monster vac on the q... ...you got it minus the s/h plus you didn't have to wait several days for it. We are also waiting for bad weather to arrive in the form of snow though...possibly changing to freezing rain.....Thursday they are saying we are in for a bigger snow storm. I keep thinking we only have four more weeks before April starts and we still have a lot on the ground and pretty cold with no melting going in. We had a late spring too last yr and a lot of my plants were very thin and crummy looking. -

I ran out earlier to pick a few things up at the store and it was pretty crowded. Hope your Moms eyes improve Twinny with the new injection. Sorry you are having such a time with her.

Have a nice afternoon everyone..........Marijane

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

Looks like a quiet day here on the board. It's gloomy and overcast out, with 100% chance of heavy rain; good day to stay in and vegetate. I was going to go to Walmart today, but don't care to haul heavy bags of dog and cat kibble in the rain; tomorrow it's supposed to hit 70° with only a chance of rain, so I think I'll hold off until then.

Jean, you made me look and see what a "monster vac" is. I do have a nice, lightweight vacuum made especially for cleaning up after pets that I got on Amazon; I keep it upstairs, as the regular vacuum is too heavy to carry up there.

Sorry to hear about your niece, but I'm glad she has someone who loves her nearby.

Marijane, I can just imagine how crowded the stores were with snow in the forecast! I know down here people go nuts at the very mention of snow and rush to clear the supermarket shelves of bread and milk...even if they don't normally use bread and milk. Must be some kind of law.... {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I got one exam done last night, and it was a piece of cake. One more to go, which I'll probably do tonight.

Twinny, hope things are going better for you.

It's a good afternoon for a nap, so.... I'm craving chicken from Popeye's; if there's a break in the weather maybe I'll go out for some later. There's plenty of food in the house, but nothing that I feel like having.

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, Prayers go out to you & your niece's family during this sad time. She truly has suffered a long time. I never understand all the hype about getting a certain color in appliances unless you keep them out. No s/h & being able to bring it home right away is also a plus. The only appliances I keep on my countertop are the coffeepot & my microwave. The rest of them come out as needed. We only got about 1 1/2" of snow overnight & thank goodness no sleet or freezing rain. DH used the snow blower quickly then took his daily walk. The plow came by but only put a small pile of snow at the end of the driveway. They say cold tomorrow & Thursday but then a warming trend going until at least next Tuesday. I am praying for it to be nice next Saturday & of course the day we fly out of RKD.

Marijane, We have very little snow on the ground now, but that can change in a heartbeat. I can't wait for DST this weekend. I love to see it stay light longer in the evening. I did talk to mom this morning & she said that her eye stung all evening but was feeling better this morning. She sounded more cheerful too, so that is a plus for me right now.

It is chili in the crock pot for supper tonight. It was nice in the hot tub today. I am trying to take it easy this week as next week will be busy with last minute things to do before vacation starts.

Tomorrow we plan to go to Shopko for their senior citizen specials & get a few incidentals for the trip. Maybe breakfast out too. I called my hair stylist this morning to see if I could get my haircut next Friday, but she & her DH are leaving next Thursday for AZ for a week. They don't like hot weather so they hope it will be nice.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

I see they are pushing V-32389. I have that and it is the best organizer for things. I have one in which I put med bottles; one in the bathroom for items; one in the kitchen; and, one beside the bed where I put items I might need at night.

Everyone, thank you for the comments about my niece. She supposedly only weighs 70 pounds now.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

FHG, I am just happy with 40's to melt the snow so that I can hang wash outside again & ride my moped. Then I know spring is just around the corner. It is good that your test was easy this time. Mom seemed in good spirits today, so that is a plus for me. Snow in the forecast around here doesn't make people do crazy shopping unless it would be a foot of snow & blizzard conditions. We have good plows & the city does a fabulous job.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon! Thanks for getting us started Jean. I am sorry to hear about your niece -- I am praying for her. I remember when my ex's Aunt got down to a very low weight (70 - 80 pounds). It was painful to even visit her.

Glad you got out to Wal-Mart -- sounds like you really needed some groceries. Hope your weather isn't too bad. We had some rain yesterday, but today it is sunny and in the low 60's. DD said they were expecting a storm this afternoon -- hopefully, they will be able to get out for DGD's dance class this afternoon.

Hi Marijane -- hope winter goes away soon for you. Sounds like a whole lot of snow and cold -- not my favorite.

Happy the test was easy for you Arlene. Hope you are able to get out for dinner, and it is okay to go to Wal Mart tomorrow.

Glad your Mom is in a good mood today, twinny. Fingers crossed that the weather will not interfere with your trip. Enjoy your shopping tomorrow.

Waves to Kathleen, Susan, Gayle, Rosa, LindaR, Karen, pinky ann, and all of our posters and readers.

I managed to get into the doctor for my osteoporosis shot this morning, and then we went to the senior lunch program. There were only two of us volunteering, which meant we had to hustle, but all went well. After that, I stopped by the card store. In a little while, DH and I will be going to the gym.

Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

Valued Contributor

Hi Ladies,

Jean, Thanks for starting the thread. I'm glad you were able to get to the store and replenish your cupboards and fridge. The vac you bought is new to me too, but would be very handy for litter, that's for sure. I'm sorry that your niece is so ill.

Twinny, Good news that your mom is doing better today. I know you're really looking forward to your trip. The chili sounds good to me. I like it a lot, but DH doesn't. I make a batch every so often, and freeze it in individual portions.

Marijane, Our weather is nuts. The forecast was supposed to be clear this week, warming a few degrees each day. It's started to snow before noon, and has since turned into a wintery mix. Ew.......... Tomorrow they "claim" it will reach 45 degrees.

Arlene, I happy your first exam was easy for you. I hope the second is as well. I stocked up on kitty supplies a few weeks ago, and glad to have done so while there was a weather break. Popeye's looks good on tv, but there are none in our area. Hope you enjoy your dinner there if you decide to go.

It's been a very quiet day for most of today. I met with our accountant to pick up our income tax papers, so that's done. We'll receive a small refund, and I'm thrilled to not have to pay. While in town, I picked up subs for supper, requested by DH.

I had been trying to decide whether or not to go out to Sam's or somewhere else to shop, since I was dressed to go out anyway . The weather made my choice for me, as I didn't realize a storm was coming. We have some piles of snow in the yard that will be here for Memorial Day if some melting doesn't happen soon. How I wish I were kidding....{#emotions_dlg.sad}{#emotions_dlg.crying}{#emotions_dlg.scared} Some of the huge piles on the road side make it difficult to see, so you have to pull out too far in some places. Hope this winter ends soon. pinky

Valued Contributor

Hi Linda, Glad you were able to get your shot, and the lunch went well even though you were busier than usual. Have fun at the gym! pinky

Valued Contributor

Hello All,

Jean: So sorry to hear about your niece. I am glad her s/o has been helpful during this sad time.

Twinny: I read your update yesterday. Sorry to hear of all the difficulty with your mother. I am glad you have a fun get a way planned.

Not much going on here. So foggy this am. I slept poorly last night and it was showing today. I did manage to get some homemade soup in the crockpot. I have two family members that I LOVE, they are both in my inner circle but unfortunately they do not get along. I have had my head in the sand for a few years but finally had to come to a point of acceptance yesterday when things surfaced. I know this is not a unique family experience but it feels unique to me at this time. Anyway, with that said, if anyone has dealt with that and has some general advise for moving forward, I am open to reading it. I am really sad realizing that we will no longer be socializing under the same roof so to speak....fourteen years of memories (good and bad).

Well, off to my book. Gayle

Well, everyone have a good day.