Respected Contributor

This is my second thread about wearing leggings but I noticed Freddie Mac asked this question.

I am seventy and had no intention of wearing leggings the second time around. However, I have a medical problem and have to wear compression hose A LOT. My very stylish, N.Y.C. niece directed me to a great website that sells fashionable compression hose. It was started by and entrepreneur who had a serious problem and had to wear them a lot.

Since I don't need my feet covered I started with leggings; I thought I'd wear them more than tights and could wear them alone. Also my niece said it's like wearing Spanx; they really take you in.

I just pulled out a few tops that are very old that I just couldn't part with. One is a Koos big shirt, another an even older Bob Mackie denim shirt. They covered my tush and measured thirty inches.

The first time around I was much thinner; maybe Amy Stran. Now I'm more like Jane R. Tracey.

It's never been a good look for me because I have a long torso and I shouldn't wear tops that length.I'm 5'2'' but all body.I have an hourglass shape but if something is too long I lose my waisht. But I really have no choice. In the spring I'll wear them with short dresses and really cute flats.

I want to order ONE nice new tunic and liked the Linea top that comes in Sangria, Brown and Black with the wooden beading embroidered around the top. I always liked it but haven't ordered tunics in years. I thought black would give me a column of color and not emphasize my short legs. I got some suggestions from Marilyn M and am open to others.

So Freddie, starting this Friday when the leggings come, I'll let you know how it feels to be seventy and doing it the second time around.

I have another post asking for advice on what to buy. If you read it you'll see I was told I looked like an elf the first time around. If that happens again I won't feel so bad; at least I won't be told I'm too old for leggings. I really have no choice this time.

Respected Contributor

I think if you get the Black Tunic and wear black leggings, you won't get the "elfin" look. Once you break up the clean line with separate colors, I think you will make your legs look too short. A single line of color will give you the illusion of longer legs.

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Esteemed Contributor
I do it with boots at 79
Honored Contributor

Good for you. Life's too short not to enjoy every minute of it. I'll be 69 this year. My go to @#$ to the world at my age means I wear tons of jewelry (I like the color stones to match).

I have tons of shoes and clothes and apologize to no one. I get lots of compliments on it,

So, to the OP, once again I say, "I salute you and think you are awsome".

Valued Contributor
Age and size are just numbers. Yeah, I struggle with it too, but I enjoy my leggings if my top is long enough. I admire your attitude. People say the strangest things sometimes, and If someone told me I looked like an elf I think it would stay with me too. A guy once told me I looked like a chipmunk. Now, I don't look anything like a chipmunk, never did. But I still remember he said it. And I also considered the source.LOL
Respected Contributor
On 3/2/2015 annabellethecat said:

Good for you. Life's too short not to enjoy every minute of it. I'll be 69 this year. My go to @#$ to the world at my age means I wear tons of jewelry (I like the color stones to match).

I have tons of shoes and clothes and apologize to no one. I get lots of compliments on it,

So, to the OP, once again I say, "I salute you and think you are awsome".

So are you! Great attitude about life, making no apologies & wearing what you like. At a certain age, we get past the "disease to please" and live life on our own terms. Bravo to you.

Esteemed Contributor
Grace, I wonder if you'd mind sharing the great website that sells fashionable compression hose? I've been re-visited by the ghost of an auto accident from 30 years ago. As a result I'm having issues with the veins in one leg and recommended to wear compression hose. Not what we fashionistas want to hear! I've been getting by with knee highs but would love to see what's available on the website you mentioned. I need medical grade - compression 20-30. Is that what you're talking about, or just compression 10-15?
"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

Rejuva Health is the name of the company. You can google their website. Phone no is 877 773 5882. They are medical grade. My doctor told me to get 15-20 but I remember higher compression. I'm not sure if the leggings come higher but they have tights, thigh highs, etc. My niece got the tights because she had to have her feet covered. After you see everything check with your doctor. I also got a pair of knee high socks for a man I know who has to wear them on plane flights. I thought I needed a higher compression than I did until I spoke to my doctor's P.A.

I'll buy something lighter weight but still the same compression when the weather gets warmer. I have something called preload failure and these items will be in my life a long time.

It was started by a woman who had a serious issue and couldn't find anything but the dowdy beige stockings. They are in CA. They were very helpful in helping me get the right size and describing the items on the website.If a man answers, ask for a woman. The woman are much better at describing the fashion items.

This website is really a find. My niece was a showroom model when she was in graduate school and was not happy when she saw what the regular hose looked like. She had vein surgery on both legs and had to wear them for a long time.

Respected Contributor

A lot of people told me I looked like an elf. I'll be wearing black knee high boots this time instead of the pointy ankle ones. Also, I no longer have a stylish but very short hair cut. I have a more sophisticated bob. But I think it was the boots! And I was really petite.

I finally stopped wearing them when I got on Amtrak at New Haven and was struggling with a suitcase and the conducter said, "A seat for the elf!, it's almost Christmas!" I had a really good body thirty five years ago; I preferred to look sexy.

I think I'll order the black top and also wear a black sweater under the other tops I have and leave them open. I've been doing a column of color all my life. Weight and age may change but proportions don't.

Honored Contributor

I am shorter than you (with broad shoulders, and not much else). I always wear a "column of color".........and it really does give the illusion of looking taller.

♥Surface of the Sun♥