Super Contributor

Please give suggestions for VINTAGE COLLECTION of women's items. Thank you!

(Yikes! New here, so not sure which forum this belongs on, so I'll just pick one, lol!) For the last few years, I've started collecting vintage women's items. Not necessarily fancy or expensive things; mostly just common, everyday things that everyday women like me would have in their homes. I've tried to span from about the 1920's to about the 1980's. Examples: a jar of Dippity-Do, old Sears wish books, a tin bottle stopper to 'sprinkle' clothes to be ironed, one of those old ice cube trays with the lever to release the cubes, chin strap, maxi-pad belt, darning egg, bed jackets, hankie box, etc, etc, fun fun fun etc.!!! Please list any suggestions, if you will. I have a lot of things, but I'm always thinking of new items, though it's not always easy to find! (Like right now I'm looking for an old TAB can, and I just got a copy of the book "Color Me Beautiful".) Thank you for reading this far, lol!
Super Contributor

Re: Please give suggestions for VINTAGE COLLECTION of women's items. Thank you!

So sorry for the one long paragraph, apparently my iPad is being naughty!!
Super Contributor

So sorry for the one long paragraph, apparently my iPad is being naughty!! d/p
Trusted Contributor

What an interesting collection, Penney T! It sounds like you've already gotten some great items. Off the top of my head, the first thing I thought about was those old blue canning jars. I have no idea why that would pop into my head, but it did.ha..ha..I also thought about vintage style shoes and jewelry. I'm sure others will come up with lots of great ideas.

Member Since 11/20/2008
Super Contributor

On 2/27/2015 Divine said:

What an interesting collection, Penney T! It sounds like you've already gotten some great items. Off the top of my head, the first thing I thought about was those old blue canning jars. I have no idea why that would pop into my head, but it did.ha..ha..I also thought about vintage style shoes and jewelry. I'm sure others will come up with lots of great ideas.

Oh, nice! I've always thought that was a beautiful aqua shade! And I agree about the fashions and jewelry, mostly costume for me, lol! I once bought a CUTE pearlized plastic white round box purse, it was so sweet! (And cheap, lol!)
Trusted Contributor

What a fun assignment! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

How about a girdle and/or a garterbelt with the little hanging garter fasteners to hold up hosiery? How about old-fashioned stockings with seams down the back? Crisp crinolines to make full skirts stand out? Bobby socks? A bonnet hairdryer with a long air-hose? One of those electrified permanent wave machines with heated perm rollers that they had in old fashioned salons? How about cone bras from the 50's, sanitary panties with a plastic shield in the crotch, embroidered cloth hankies, a selection of dress-up hats and gloves, pincurl clips, a teasing comb, a net curler bonnet, and a satin pillowcase to keep your hairdo from messing up while you sleep? How about a monogrammed fabric handbag with a wooden handle? How about circle pins and monogrammed gold oval pins?

Super Contributor

This is a really weird thread!

Trusted Contributor

This is a great thread! I'm lovin' the memories.

Super Contributor

On 2/27/2015 GoodStuff said:

What a fun assignment! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

How about a girdle and/or a garterbelt with the little hanging garter fasteners to hold up hosiery? How about old-fashioned stockings with seams down the back? Crisp crinolines to make full skirts stand out? Bobby socks? A bonnet hairdryer with a long air-hose? One of those electrified permanent wave machines with heated perm rollers that they had in old fashioned salons? How about cone bras from the 50's, sanitary panties with a plastic shield in the crotch, embroidered cloth hankies, a selection of dress-up hats and gloves, pincurl clips, a teasing comb, a net curler bonnet, and a satin pillowcase to keep your hairdo from messing up while you sleep? How about a monogrammed fabric handbag with a wooden handle? How about circle pins and monogrammed gold oval pins?

You won't believe it, but I have a lot of these!!! I told hubby I'm looking for a "really pointy bra!" Love the suggestions of bobby socks, and the circle pins! Haven't started on hats yet, something tells me I might get hooked!!!
Super Contributor

On 2/27/2015 imaclotheshog said:

This is a really weird thread!

Why?