Honored Contributor

Sticker shock in catalog shopping

All the griping about QVC prices has made me pay more attention to the catalogs arriving almost daily. Yesterday it was Eddie Bauer, with plaid cotton shirts for $80.00 and Sahalie, with simple knit tunics for $129.00. Yikes. I'll stick to QVC and big box stores.

Honored Contributor

Re: Sticker shock in catalog shopping

Eddie Bauer used to be expensive, but you got what you paid for. I used to buy coats, cardigans, loafers from them. The prices are insane now, as far as I'm concerned.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

On 2/26/2015 Bird mama said:

Eddie Bauer used to be expensive, but you got what you paid for. I used to buy coats, cardigans, loafers from them. The prices are insane now, as far as I'm concerned.

ITA.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

I'll stick to Amazon.

Super Contributor

I get the Orvis catalog, but I never look at it. When it arrives, it reminds me to go online and check out their clearance prices. I just got a great linen tunic for under $50. Their quality is excellent, but I can't make myself pay their full prices.

Esteemed Contributor

Each of the catalogs mentioned have great clearance sections on their websites! LL Beane is another one to check out.

Super Contributor

On 2/26/2015 ibb38 said:

Each of the catalogs mentioned have great clearance sections on their websites! LL Beane is another one to check out.

Clearance sales are great ... but only if they have stuff you want to buy!

For me that's rarely the case.

ETA: I did find a beautiful silk scarf at Soft Surroundings ... marked down from $99 to $50.

Honored Contributor

J Jill jeans just went up $10-$20 a pair too.

But they have FANTASTIC sales where you can get a pair for $15.

Super Contributor

Sahalie is VERY pricey for the mdse shown. I think SG prices are rising quickly, most tops nearing the 50$ mark. No thanks...
Super Contributor

I looked at Chico's today - yikes! I do a lot of shopping at QVC and I feel I get good value for my dollar. It's worth the convenience to me of not having to shop the malls.