Frequent Contributor

What is up with all the Horizontal stripes?

It seems like every time I turn on the Q when they are featuring Liz Claiborne, all I see is horizontal stripes. Already this morning they had a sweater, then a really cute cardigan and matching tank and now a dress. In my opinion, if you are even a little thick in the middle, it just accentuates that area. Even Mary Beth, who is tiny and always wears that colorful striped cardigan does not look good in it-and she looks good in almost everything.

By the way, the vendor looks amazing in the striped dress, but she is extremely tiny and has a definite waist. I know a lot of people like stripes, but they don't like me.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is up with all the Horizontal stripes?

If stripes are what's trending in the industry right now, I don't want to see every single garment in them! Okay, so an exaggeration. But some, (like LC from the Q) tend to overdo a fashion element. (I notice that in makeup styles as well.)

I think I already have 3 tops in tasteful stripes (not LC), and I won't be buying any more. However, this was done on an angle, and I liked that idea of a fresh way to utilize stripes. My request is in for solids, though, because this is one great fitting top!

Susan Graver Liquid Knit Printed Stripe Surplice Wrap Cap Sleeve Top - A255344

Respected Contributor

I agree with the OP, larger women do not need to wear horizontal stripes. Maybe that is why Liz Claiborne is selling on QVC now instead of the major dept. stores like she used to. Cater to one genre of women and you lose out.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Respected Contributor

I am tall, thin and really dislike horizontal stripes. Why would any woman, no matter what her size want to look larger?
Trusted Contributor

Denim and Co. does a lot of horizontal stripes, too. Not for me!

Honored Contributor

No horizontal stripes for me, no matter who the vendor is. To each their own.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

I think shopping channels, especially, get stuck on trends a bit too long. I've been waiting for 15 years for animal prints to go out of style, LOL. I have a few pieces, but certainly don't want my entire wardrobe to consist of one print or in this case, stripes. I wish they could show a wide variety of prints/styles/trends.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Super Contributor

Other than on woven fabric shirts ... where have you seen vertical stripes in retail?

Due to the nature of construction of knit fabrics ... it's rare you see knits with vertical stripes.

Respected Contributor

As with some other fashions, they can show the stripes all they want, I'm not buying any of it.

Honored Contributor

I've often wondered what the deal is with horizontal stripes in women's clothing. You occasionally but rarely see vertical stripes. However, in men's clothing, verticals are very common. I love to hear Gary Gobin address this issue.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment