Valued Contributor

So Mistaken About the Shipping

Hi, everyone. I just was reading some posts and discovered that I can no longer send things back and be refunded the shipping charges. I was loving the new $3.00 because I have to pay tax on shipping too. I have two things sent back which are still in the mail. Yee gads. I know why they did it. You can't wear something a bunch of times, wash something a bunch of times and expect a refund, except they still do that. We are all paying for such a liberal return policy. I just cancelled what I could and won't order anything more. I was trying to get used to the fact that I didn't have to hold something in my cart forever just so I could get a discount on the next item I may buy.

Hmm. I am not happy with this new policy. And so it goes. {#emotions_dlg.huh}

Occasional Contributor

Re: So Mistaken About the Shipping

This is not such a great deal for customers. I love the Denim & Co. capri and crop pants. Like most clothing, no two pair fit exactly the same. Now that I won't be refunded my original shipping cost, I won't be ordering as many pair per year as I did. Sometimes, being pennywise, pound foolish is just that, foolish. If they see a drop in sales, they may go back to the original policy but, be more strict on the 30 return.

Super Contributor

On 2/26/2015 stonehenge said:

This is not such a great deal for customers. I love the Denim & Co. capri and crop pants. Like most clothing, no two pair fit exactly the same. Now that I won't be refunded my original shipping cost, I won't be ordering as many pair per year as I did. Sometimes, being pennywise, pound foolish is just that, foolish. If they see a drop in sales, they may go back to the original policy but, be more strict on the 30 return.

If the garment doesn't measure the same as the "click here" measurements, then it's defective and can be returned with QVC paying the return and original shipping.

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/26/2015 Raider Fan said:

Hi, everyone. I just was reading some posts and discovered that I can no longer send things back and be refunded the shipping charges. I was loving the new $3.00 because I have to pay tax on shipping too. I have two things sent back which are still in the mail. Yee gads. I know why they did it. You can't wear something a bunch of times, wash something a bunch of times and expect a refund, except they still do that. We are all paying for such a liberal return policy. I just cancelled what I could and won't order anything more. I was trying to get used to the fact that I didn't have to hold something in my cart forever just so I could get a discount on the next item I may buy.

The hosts tell you to do exactly this; try it on, wear it, launder it and if you're not totally happy send it back for a full refund. And, this should be the policy if you're a company who stands behind it products. Do people abuse it? Maybe, but how many? I don't do this, do you? Does anyone here?

QVC will likely win the war on returns, but probably lose customers. Many of us aren't going to risk our money just to get something home and hope it's as described. Some will buy and get a rude shock when they realize they're on the hook for s/h both ways. The next six months should be interesting.

I buy from companies who don't refund shipping, but rarely; until this happened I was a regular shopper at QVC but have slammed on the brakes to vote with my wallet. They lost me.

Also, to my mind this isn't about punishing others for the excesses of those who return many things; it's simply a way to appear to give shoppers a s/h deal while shifting all the risk to the customer.

I'd also like to point out that if the stuff QVC sold is so amazing, they wouldn't have a billion dollar per year returns problem. It would take tens of thousands of impulse shoppers who buy and return in huge quantity to rack up those numbers. A whole lot of people are sending back a whole lot of stuff. Can't simply be due to the lowered risk of guaranteed return of original shipping. Perhaps QVC should examine WHY people send things back and work on that rather than punish their customers with consumer-unfriendly policies.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Frequent Contributor

OMG- I did not realize that.

Honored Contributor

On 2/26/2015 gardensla said:

The hosts tell you to do exactly this; try it on, wear it, launder it and if you're not totally happy send it back for a full refund. And, this should be the policy if you're a company who stands behind it products. Do people abuse it? Maybe, but how many? I don't do this, do you? Does anyone here?

QVC will likely win the war on returns, but probably lose customers. Many of us aren't going to risk our money just to get something home and hope it's as described. Some will buy and get a rude shock when they realize they're on the hook for s/h both ways. The next six months should be interesting.

I buy from companies who don't refund shipping, but rarely; until this happened I was a regular shopper at QVC but have slammed on the brakes to vote with my wallet. They lost me.

Also, to my mind this isn't about punishing others for the excesses of those who return many things; it's simply a way to appear to give shoppers a s/h deal while shifting all the risk to the customer.

I'd also like to point out that if the stuff QVC sold is so amazing, they wouldn't have a billion dollar per year returns problem. It would take tens of thousands of impulse shoppers who buy and return in huge quantity to rack up those numbers. A whole lot of people are sending back a whole lot of stuff. Can't simply be due to the lowered risk of guaranteed return of original shipping. Perhaps QVC should examine WHY people send things back and work on that rather than punish their customers with consumer-unfriendly policies.

ITA w/ all you stated.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Trusted Contributor

I think the move to polyester, stretchy, athleisure, not-so-tailored clothes is also designed to minimize returns. Makes the fit more forgiving.

Trusted Contributor

The worst of all of this mess is that they do not put the garment size now on the product description. I need a 36.5" hip to wear any QVC pants, I need to know that to buy if they don't put that in the description (not some quick look on the TV presentation) I need to know the sizing aspects so that I can decide beforehand if the item will fit. I can always get away wearing a size XXS top, but I will NOT take the chance now buying any bottoms from QVC until this is changed.

Super Contributor

ITA with all you said as well. I also shop "sometimes" with other retailers that do not refund shipping, but very rarely. I shop online mostly with retailers that have free return shipping. I always felt "more" comfortable with buying things at QVC because I knew if it didn't fit me, I got my original S&H back. THAT is what they built their business on, risk free shopping for the customer.

I remember when QVC first went on the air, they also refunded your return S&H charges, no matter what the reason was that you returned it! This was many years ago when I first opened an account with QVC. I also shopped some with the Fashion Channel because they had the same policy. I was a young mother with a baby at home and it was such a convenience to me, to be able to shop at home! I was a happy new customer and thrilled with the "new" way to shop from my TV. I thought, seriously? I can sit here in my apartment and feed my baby at 3 am AND shop for some clothing I need? Woohoo! So I was sold on home shopping because there was no risk to me and they would refund my shipping if something wasn't as I thought it would be. I had nothing to lose by trying this new way to shop.

So no, I don't think that they are going to make customers really happy with this new policy, once customers figure out what's really happening with this new policy and their original shipping is not being refunded.

Maybe QVC should have spent some time figuring out WHY people are returning things, if they have "that" many returns vs. assuming their customers are all cheating them or being dishonest with returns.

And as you said, the next 6 months will be interesting. QVC has had their hosts saying for years, that shopping with them was RISK FREE. Now, not so much.

Super Contributor

ITA!!!!!!