Valued Contributor

I said no ordering until spring!

I saw no Big Q boxes! None from HSN! No ShopHQ! No Amazon!

How am I going to handle not having boxes coming to my house? I could get out the wine.

No I won't replace UPS man with wine!

Respected Contributor

I feel your pain. I moved 3 weeks ago, into an rv, and though I still have "country home" it just doesn't make sense to be buying clothes. I've seen a few things I liked, but learning that my wardrobe is changing. There will be dress purchases and shoe purchasing in the future. It was time to buy a new bag and went to the store with DD and found the very perfect one!! So, hopefully not to need another for quite a while.

There are all kinds of ways I have used in the past to keep myself from shopping/buying - are you looking for tips or just commissurating? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

I feel this on a daily basis!

Respected Contributor

Some of my tricks to stop myself from buying -

think of something I want badly enough to save up for it - something else that I want more

tell myself if I still want it later, I can get it (not sure what your time frame is)

Wear/use/enjoy something that I own that I REALLY love

write a letter/card to someone I love - maybe they will write back, and that is sometimes more lovely than getting a box in the mail

invest a little time into something else that I love, for me my fave is my guitar

come up with some other "rewards" - a bubble bath, cup of great hot chocolate, something you don't have to spend money on

Super Contributor

I'm feeling the same "pain" lol. We are moving and on top of that, our new house won't be finished/built until end of summer, so temporarily we are staying with family. Technically, I can still order, but I probably won't, at least not much - from anywhere - until we move. So, I've got my last-minute "crunch" orders in this week lol. So many good President's Day deals (obviously not at the Q), I couldn't resist!

Honored Contributor

I give up buying anything for myself or the house for lent. It is a long six weeks!!! But I feel I've done my penance!!!

Trusted Contributor
On 2/17/2015 Rock_chick said:

Some of my tricks to stop myself from buying -

think of something I want badly enough to save up for it - something else that I want more

tell myself if I still want it later, I can get it (not sure what your time frame is)

Wear/use/enjoy something that I own that I REALLY love

write a letter/card to someone I love - maybe they will write back, and that is sometimes more lovely than getting a box in the mail

invest a little time into something else that I love, for me my fave is my guitar

come up with some other "rewards" - a bubble bath, cup of great hot chocolate, something you don't have to spend money on

Thanks for the inspiration.

I don't order much for myself, though. I am always on the lookout for gifts.

Trusted Contributor
On 2/17/2015 castlenv said:

I give up buying anything for myself or the house for lent. It is a long six weeks!!! But I feel I've done my penance!!!

Now there is a really good thought!

Trusted Contributor

I know what you mean!

I had to give up buying unnecessary items last year when my main source of income went away!!! I had already cut waaaay down to where I bought myself maybe one or two items per year. But now I have NO extra money, so I am down to shopping in my own closet!

I did find a cute capri outfit in a packed box last month - I had completely forgotten about it - and so that helped me a bit!

Trusted Contributor

Instead of focusing on the boxes that aren't coming, throw yourself a "spring closet party"! Dig into your closet and drawers, pull out spring pieces, get out a selection of scarves, jewelry and accessories, and make outfits! I do this every once in a while -- lay jewelry and accessories on my dressers, arrange clothing pieces on my bed or on hangers, and then try to put things together in new and creative ways. I always enjoy this, and usually find some forgotten items, discover some cool new combos I haven't tried before, as well as finding pieces that are past their prime, that don't fit well, that I'm not wearing, and that need to be discarded or donated.

You could pour yourself a glass of wine and turn on some music to make the party complete!