Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, 1/27)

Good morning, shopping friends. I do hope all our friends in the Northeast are doing fine with the varying amounts of snow, road conditions, etc.

We are on a two-hour delay because of road conditions. I've been called to sub for the same teacher today. I was up at 4:30am when I got the phone call and text regarding the two-hour delay. I did use part of that time to investigate what was hiding in the dark recesses of the cabinets and organize a few things according to expiration date.

The month is drawing to a close. How are you doing with your goals for the month? I have not purchased a "want" this month. I have been eating the food that already existed in the house, so I have purchased no new foods this month. I am a food hoarder when it goes on sale, especially if it is shelf stable food such as Progresso Light soups, canned veggies, etc.

The card on which I put my purchases, etc. and pay in full each month will not post its statement until February 10, so I have two weeks to go to measure achievement compared to last year's statement for the month. Right now, I'm about half of last year's expenditures for the statement month. With two weeks to go, it will be close but I hope to come in under last year's purchase amount for this month. I have a utility bill yet to hit that card. I just know that I am trying. A review of the statements during the year always show that I'm not a big spender in the Winter.

I need to start getting ready for work. Hopefully, I won't have road problems on way to work.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, 1/27)

Jean, I am glad that you are only on a two hour delay today. We got about an inch of snow yesterday a.m. & another inch in the afternoon. I was worried about our DS & DDIL. They live 10 miles N. of Boston. I just got an email from DS saying they have snow but he doesn't know how much as it is supposed to snow throughout the day. He said he has the day off of work as his patients won't be making it to the clinic he works at. Our dear DIL is on vacation this week. She is a critical care nurse at Mass Gen. Hosp. He said she would have been staying at a motel next to the hosp. if she had been working this week. WHEW

Prayers to all of our friends in the N.E. & anywhere else. DH & I are heading to Davenport, IA soon. It is about a two hour drive each way. We haven't been there since our DS graduated from PCC 18 years ago next month. I don't need anything but it will be good to go for the day. Lunch out will be a bonus for me today too.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--Those storms do cause concern when you have loved ones in its path. I have a niece who works for a hospital and always has a bag packed in case she has to stay over for some reason.

I am off to ""fun"" and my angels. Have a good day!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Valued Contributor

Good morning!

Those battling those huge snow storm are in my thoughts.

Sunny and cold here. No snow thank goodness. If school is canceled for bad weather so is Zumba, so will have that tonight. I will miss on Thursday, hair appointment.

Not much to report, my friend will be at the gym during Zumba and will swing by my house for a sandwich before going home. A quick visit for certain but nice.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning! Thanks for getting us started Jean, and Happy Birthday to twinny!

Glad you were able to make good use of the time this morning Jean, but I sure wouldn't like to get up at 4:30. Hope that work goes well. You have certainly done well with shopping/not shopping this month. I have done okay, but not great. Of course, there have been some expensive "needs" for me, but there were some optional things as well. I haven't purchased TSV's much in quite a while, but today's version broke my resistance. I adore candles, and I have had wonderful luck with CI candles. Some that I am still using were purchased many, many years ago.

Enjoy your mini trip and lunch out today twinny. It should be interesting going to a town you haven't visited in so long. I imagine there will be lots of changes.

Glad you were spared the snow and will be able to have Zumba Rosa. Sounds good about your friend coming by -- I'm glad you are still enjoying one another.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, Susan, Marijane, LindaR, Gayle, Karen, Lori, and all of our posters and readers.

"Army" DGS enjoyed his first college class (English) yesterday, and he has another today. It looks like his two week Reserve duty will happen early next month, which may complicate things quite a bit -- there is quite a drive to and from the Reserve unit, and he can't spend the night there. He was hoping for a carpool, but no luck so far. My youngest DGS got to the SAT testing school on Saturday only to find that the test was canceled due to weather. Frustrating for him and his Mom who drove him there.

DH and I have the senior lunch program today, and I hope to go to the gym later. My trip to COSTCO yesterday went well, but I ended up spending quite a bit of money. No "want" things with the possible exception the Pure Protein bars.

The best news for me was receiving my water bill yesterday -- down to $18 after the huge one ($300) last month. I am so happy that my water issues seem to have gone away.

Have a good day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Trusted Contributor

Hi ladies - I hope that those of you in snowy parts of the country are staying safe and warm. KonaKat - I am also comparing current purchases with former purchases. My goal is to spend less this year than I did last year on "wants". I'm not looking for perfection, just improvement. The main item I spent too much on last year was clothes, so I made a graph chart for myself this year. I marked on the chart how much I spent on clothes month by month in black ink, and now I'm marking on the chart what I spend in blue ink. So far I'm well underneath last year's purchases. Yay!

I know that may sound like an odd thing to do, but I actually enjoy doing paperwork like that, with the instant visual impact. I've also started reading "It's All Too Much" by Peter Walsh. I'm enjoying it so far. Even though I had gone through clothing before the holidays, yesterday I went through it again, and found 27 items that I'm going to donate. I found myself saying "I haven't worn this item in years, so it needs to go."

I've also been making some progress in my mending pile. I have several tops that I've purchased from QVC or online that after wearing them, I decided didn't fit quite right. So I've been hemming or doing minor alterations to make them better. That's the type of activity I can procrastinate on for quite a while, so I'm proud of myself for doing it. I've fixed about 5 tops, and have about 4 still to tackle.

Thank you for all the kind words about the death of my cat. I appreciate it. I find myself still shedding a few tears now and then, but it's a little better.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls! It's another cold, overcast day here again - only 39° out. Once again I have no plans to go anywhere, just putter around the house and get a start on this week's homework. We did have a few snow flurries last night, but it was too warm for them to stick.

Well, I didn't buy anything unnecessary this month, thanks to being broke, but in all honesty, there's really nothing that I need or even want, except perhaps a new pair of my "Wikked Good" slippers from LL Bean - mine are stained and are showing major signs of wear and the stitching on the toe of one has come undone. I have a few necessities in my Amazon shopping cart, but they won't be coming here until next month.

LindaL, I know how that Costco bill can get very high, very fast! I always found things there that weren't regular stock but were too good a good price to pass up, and I knew they wouldn't last long, so I'd buy them. I didn't bother renewing when my membership expired almost two years ago, especially since I discovered that I can get many of their things (their own Kirkland brand) at Amazon. I figure that saves me a lot of money in the long run. Also, the local Costco doesn't have all the pretty clothes that the Costco in Hawaii did.

Charlene (It IS Charlene, right?), there's a book that a read which was a real comfort to me after some pets died. I've recommended it to several friends who all loved it, and also have suggested it to my vets, and they in turn recommend it to clients whose pet died - it's called Cold Noses at the Pearly Gates, and you can get it at Amazon or from coldnoses.com.

Have a happy birthday, twinny!

I guess I'd better get moving - I hear Honeybun barking and need to check on her.

Have a blessed day,everyone!