Super Contributor

Buying clothes in 2015: What will you do differently?

2014 was a pretty good year for me, clothing-wise. I added some good pieces that I'll be happy to wear in 2015. I am happy to report that I spent less in 2014 than I did in 2013, and I spent less in 2013 than I did in 2012. The number of pieces I'm buying has also decreased and I'm also happy about that. I'd like to think that I'm putting more thought into what comes into my closet!

Looking back in 2014, I can see that my big purchase months were in February and November. Two of the February purchases were mistakes, although they were not costly ones. So far, I'm happy with everything I bought in November. I think having this knowledge of "trigger shopping months" will help as I begin the new year.

Mostly in 2015 I just want to pace myself and spend money on what I really love, even if it costs a little more. I hope to be patient and be willing to wait for just the right pieces. There were times in 2014 that I had various "reward" cards with deadlines and I felt pressured to buy something to take advantage of the savings. When those pieces turned out to be mistakes, how much money did I really save?

How about you? What will you do differently in 2015?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Buying clothes in 2015: What will you do differently?

I'm going to force myself to buy more pants and skirts, and fewer tops. I keep just grabbing the same two pairs of black pants or one of a dozen pairs of jeans and off to work I go. Just hate pant shopping (right up there with bras) but in 2015, I gotta do it!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Respected Contributor

About the only item I really need is a new swim suit. My own closet is bulging and I have taken up about half the guest bed room closet too. Now to resist any impulse purchases.

Esteemed Contributor

I retired in 2014, so I am hoping to limit my clothing purchases. I only need (want) a few more casual tops. I will miss shopping for work clothes, shoes and accessories though. I am enjoying not wearing heels every day, as much as I love them.

Super Contributor

Don't buy something 'just because' it's on sale & also be MUCH more picky about what I add to my closet. I also implemented a 'rule' this past year - one thing comes IN to the closet, one thing goes OUT!

Super Contributor

I can't think of anything I'd do differently.

What really helped me control my wardrobe selections was Linda Dano's ""Looking Great"" book - almost 20 years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm going to shop my closet and try not to shop. I have many brand new things and some others I have only worn once. I like to pull things out and make new ways out of wearing them.
Honored Contributor

I tried stuff on today but didnt buy,

Trusted Contributor

Congrats Caligurll!!! I also retired in 2014 and have been a mission to declutter closets, drawers, etc. I'm doing pretty well BUT still have much to donate!! I, too, will miss shopping for work clothes ~~ Since I am not working I can't justify buying like I used to! I really hope to rein myself in and LIMIT my clothes spending!
Honored Contributor

I always promise myself to cut back on buying clothes, but it's tough. I like good quality clothing. A lot of good name brands. I buy mostly at Nordstrom. Sometimes the Rack, but not that much because the quality there is not as good. This year I did buy more then I intended. My clothing lasts a long time. I do a lot of dry cleaning. I work full time, so clothing is still very important part of my budget.