Respected Contributor

Did anyone see the segment on Today about the origin of the fur on items currently being sold in upscale department stores. Several were named, but Neiman Marcus was mentioned most of the time. Also Nordstrom's, Belk's, and others. They indicate that what is currently being called faux fur by many retailers is actually rabbit, coyote, raccoon dog, etc. So sad. They bought a number of items from these stores and had the fur examined by experts in a lab setting. Apparently it is cheaper in many cases to buy animal fur than faux fur. They showed boots from NM, offered as faux, but really rabbit. A Michael Kors coat with a "faux fur collar" that was actually real animal fur.

I don't buy faux or real fur, but I know for some people it would have been a true revelation!

Contributor

Re: Faux or Animal Fur . . .

Wow,if true.....those designers should be ashamed!I have some faux fur from Dennis Basso.....few years old now......pretty sure HIS are faux.Guess I will be passing on all the faux fur from now on!I would not even consider wearing the real thing!!
Frequent Contributor

He said there is a way for us to tell but I had to go to work before I heard that. Do any of you know how to tell the difference besides taking it to a lab.

Esteemed Contributor

I wonder how they can get away with calling it faux fur if its part or all real animal fur...

I just went to the Today website....one way to test if you have real or fake is to cut a few pieces of the hair....burn the ends...and smell it...if it smells like our own human hair..its animal fur....if it smells like plastic...its fake...

Also....real animal fur will taper up to a fine point tip...fake will be more flattened....

When you have a chance...go to the website...there are two videos all about this....shame on those expensive/exclusive stores for lying to their customers....

Honored Contributor

I heard about this last year.

I am extremely opposed to real fur and I will not wear faux either.

Super Contributor

Personally, I'm not opposed to real and wear faux.

BUT ... the items should be labeled correctly.

My mother's dog used to be able to tell the difference ... if you came in with real fur ... he'd want to sit by your coat. He left faux alone.

Honored Contributor

It doesn't surprise me.

I don't wear faux or real.

Regular Contributor

I ONLY would wear Faux, but personally, I don't like either. Those manufacturers should be ashamed of themselves and should be heavily fined for false advertising because that is an important thing to many people. Many people would not buy the items if they knew it contained real fur.

I also don't buy ANYTHING from Dennis Basso, because he produced A LOT of fur items and I do NOT want to support anything he does.

Super Contributor

On 12/19/2014 NorskyGal said:

I ONLY would wear Faux, but personally, I don't like either. Those manufacturers should be ashamed of themselves and should be heavily fined for false advertising because that is an important thing to many people. Many people would not buy the items if they knew it contained real fur.

I also don't buy ANYTHING from Dennis Basso, because he produced A LOT of fur items and I do NOT want to support anything he does.

I no longer support DB but for an entirely different reason.

Super Contributor

I started a thread on this....it is gone?