New Contributor

Centrigrade Down Coats and Jackets

Does anyone else miss the Centrigrade line of coats and jackets? I've had a long down coat since forever from the line and would like to replace it with something similar. I don't care for the puffer jackets filled with polyester which just won't be warm enough in the middle of wintertime. Guess I'll go look back at Land's End for a new winter coat! Suggestion for the QVC marketing department - find a replacement for Centrigrade for "real" winter coats.

Respected Contributor

Re: Centrigrade Down Coats and Jackets

I got two PrimaLoft jackets at Lands End yesterday. One will be returned (you can drop them off at a Sears store, according to their returns policy blurb). I need a petite because the regular's arms are always too long and the shoulder area often too big. However, the petite wasn't long enough to be really warm, so I got both and will decide which to keep. I'll see about altering the arm length if I keep the regular.

They have a lovely plaid jacket in palish gold and pink colors along with one with faux leather trim, which I got. I loathe faux leather, but this one looks like it is an exception.

Here's the plaid coat. I think it's pretty, but it's not for me.

Respected Contributor

On 11/25/2014 Ms X said:

I got two PrimaLoft jackets at Lands End yesterday. One will be returned (you can drop them off at a Sears store, according to their returns policy blurb). I need a petite because the regular's arms are always too long and the shoulder area often too big. However, the petite wasn't long enough to be really warm, so I got both and will decide which to keep. I'll see about altering the arm length if I keep the regular.

They have a lovely plaid jacket in palish gold and pink colors along with one with faux leader trim, which I got. I loathe faux leather, but this one looks like it is an exception.

Here's the plaid coat. I think it's pretty, but it's not for me.

I bought that coat in black. The trim is very pretty and not too obvious. However, the waist is really for someone shorter than I am. Any tall women....beware. The belt rides up somewhat and the length could be longer. I think it would be beautiful on a petite woman.

The coat came in a pretty shade of loden green and berry as well.Smile

Respected Contributor

Thanks so much for that info, SoftRaindrops! I got the regular in black because that's what was available in my size and the petite in the navy. I'm only 5'3", so the 29" length will be just right for me, but the arms will definitely need alteration. I'll keep the petite if it isn't so short that I literally freeze my butt off all winter. It is a nice, classic coat, though. Could you have it altered to move the belt loops?

Does it seem warm enough for a northern winter? The description said it was good to 5 degrees, but many reviewers said it wasn't for the coldest days. I wasn't sure whether they were just going by the fact that the coat isn't heavy, though. It's my understanding that they use special insulating fabrics that are warm but lightweight.

Super Contributor

I loved Centigrade coats. I still have one. They always fit just right. Lands End coats r OK but seem to fit tight across the shoulders for me.
Respected Contributor

On 11/25/2014 Ms X said:

Thanks so much for that info, SoftRaindrops! I got the regular in black because that's what was available in my size and the petite in the navy. I'm only 5'3", so the 29" length will be just right for me, but the arms will definitely need alteration. I'll keep the petite if it isn't so short that I literally freeze my butt off all winter. It is a nice, classic coat, though. Could you have it altered to move the belt loops?

Does it seem warm enough for a northern winter? The description said it was good to 5 degrees, but many reviewers said it wasn't for the coldest days. I wasn't sure whether they were just going by the fact that the coat isn't heavy, though. It's my understanding that they use special insulating fabrics that are warm but lightweight.

Hi Ms X.SmileI was thinking of having it altered but the length of the coat overall is just a bit too short for me. My husband thinks it looks fine but when I am wearing it, I often have to adjust the belt.

It really isn't warm enough for a northern winter even with the thinsulate. I wear it when it is around 50 degrees. I ended up buying the wool car coat they sell in black and also in a pretty shade of blue. Those are both extremely warm.

Another suggestion is to look at L.L. Bean's coats. I bought a polo coat from them that is the ultimate in warmth. They also have really nice thinsulate shorter jackets that really keep you warm.

Enjoy your purchases!!Smile As you can see I love coats.{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Respected Contributor

Thanks so much, SoftRaindrops! I do love the coat and wanted a nice variation of the puffer coat this winter that is washable and warm. If it's not warm, it's probably going back, unless I just love it too much. I have an Aran craft sweater that I might be able to wear under it, but I'm not sure whether there will be enough room for that bulky item. I did check L.L. Bean, but Land's End had much more stylish coats. I'll be checking these sites as the winter moves on for the sales. The best time to buy a winter coat is between March and August. You can get great quality coats for a song!

Honored Contributor

I have this coat from J. Crew + Thinsulate. It's not inexpensive, but now it's 30% off. It might fit the bill for what you're looking to replace.

Double cloth lady day coat

There is a yellow color that is reduced.

Respected Contributor

Thanks, lolakimono! I just went over and checked out that coat. It looks like all colors are 30% off. I love the long, lean lines of the coat! What I like best about it is that it doesn't look like something you'd wear hiking but it has the insulation. I bookmarked the page just in case.

Trusted Contributor

Perfect timing seeing this thread. I was just looking over my Centrigrade coats. I guess I hadn't paid attention that none had been aired for awhile.

And Lola I do love that J Crew coat as well. You always find the most interesting pieces.