Valued Contributor

Sorry if this gets posted (all supposing it passes inspection) in the wrong forum. I am angered and annoyed by the many posts referring to "old lady hair styles" or "frumpy, grandma clothes" or "orthopedic shoes," etc. etc.

It seems there is a whole generation being denigrated, which wouldn't be allowed if comments on gender or race or sexual preference were the subject.

Old age seems to threaten some people and so we older women become the brunt of insulting and derogatory remarks. Generalizations are rampant and some posters love to jump on that bandwagon. My age has nothing to do with the clothes I choose or the way I wear my hair or any number of other choices available. If the moderators won't do anything about these posts, I'm putting in my opinion to see if anyone out there agrees with me.

Just sayin'.

Honored Contributor

I tend to ignore most of it. These ""young"" ""whipper-snappers"" can only hope to reach old age!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor
It's amazing how soon the senior years arrive. One day you're making jokes about "grandma" clothes, and the next day you're wearing them. Be careful what you say, you may be speaking of yourself.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Well put! OP. Seems design wise, it's a matter of fashionable vs functional, plus updated.

Honored Contributor
On 11/24/2014 ECBG said:

Well put! OP. Seems design wise, it's a matter of fashionable vs functional, plus updated.

I don't think you got the OP's point. this is about tolerance and acceptance and respect for everyone- not fashion.

Esteemed Contributor

It was my generation that coined the statement "Don't trust anyone under 30." (edit...that should have been OVER 30). Now we're getting our comeuppance. It doesn't bother me at all since I know that the young people of today will be the senior citizens of tomorrow. The most beloved aspects of popular culture today will be laughed at and criticized by the future younger generations. Besides, some older people have given up on their looks for a variety of reasons...comfort, illness, poverty and budget prioritizing, not caring anymore, fixating on a long ago era. Some of them (not all) could look a lot better with a little effort. Those are the ones who deserve criticism.

Honored Contributor
On 11/24/2014 Vivian said: It was my generation that coined the statement "Don't trust anyone under 30." Now we're getting our comeuppance. It doesn't bother me at all since I know that the young people of today will be the senior citizens of tomorrow. The most beloved aspects of popular culture today will be laughed at and criticized by the future younger generations. Besides, some older people have given up on their looks for a variety of reasons...comfort, illness, poverty and budget prioritizing, not caring anymore, fixating on a long ago era. Some of them (not all) could look a lot better with a little effort. Those are the ones who deserve criticism.

NOTHING gives you or anyone else the right to criticize anyone - that is the whole point. As for older people "giving up on their looks" - it is young people I see walking around in public in their pajamas all day with bed head, not older people. Being a slob happens at all ages.

Super Contributor
On 11/24/2014 Vivian said: It was my generation that coined the statement "Don't trust anyone under 30." Now we're getting our comeuppance. It doesn't bother me at all since I know that the young people of today will be the senior citizens of tomorrow. The most beloved aspects of popular culture today will be laughed at and criticized by the future younger generations. Besides, some older people have given up on their looks for a variety of reasons...comfort, illness, poverty and budget prioritizing, not caring anymore, fixating on a long ago era. Some of them (not all) could look a lot better with a little effort. Those are the ones who deserve criticism.

It was don't trust anyone OVER 30. lol

Yes I get what you're saying. But everything comes around, it is generational. Every generation thinks they know something the previous one didn't. No they don't.

I try to look nice but I am not about to try and dress like I am 20 because I'm not. I know better than to look like I'm trying too hard at my age too.

But after all, words are just words and they only offend if you let them and I don't. I don't care if something I wear is considered frumpy or matronly or whatever. So what. I wear what I consider to be fitting for me, my body, my life and my taste.

I guess I'm just saying, we need to worry less about what others think. It's "liberating". {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor
On 11/24/2014 Krimpette said:

I tend to ignore most of it. These "young" "whipper-snappers" can only hope to reach old age!!!!!!!

whipper-snappers. LOL {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Respected Contributor

Sometimes it really annoys me, too. I try to remember that everything that goes around, comes around. Eventually, if they're lucky enough to live so long, those insensitive posters will learn a thing or two.