Respected Contributor

I thought I would start off this morning. I am getting ready to leave for services shortly.

We had rain and more rain yesterday---some of it very heavy. I saw on the news they even had to open one of the floodgates on a dam upstream from here.

Jean: I am so sorry to hear about your niece. She certainly has been through it with her illness. Prayers for her family for peace and comfort and prayers for comfort for her as well.

I am sure that the Q is heavy into the gifting season. I worked at the thrift shop yesterday and even with the weather we had lots of people. I see "new with tags" items come in from time to time. See horribly stained and torn also---why don't people just discard items!

It will be January before my schedule comes around to work again so I will have some time to go through so items I no longer need/use for donation. I have put things out---or looked at things and think "no way is this selling" and then I see it going out the door!. Since it is a 501C and community based the prices are intentionally kept very low to help those without a lot of resources. But I am sure there are some "shopping pros" also. I was never one to go to a lot of garage sales---I might stop in on occasion. I worked with a gal who would map out her route and take a certain amount of money and go out on Saturday. There was a time we worked with another lady who had limited resources---she always looked so put together. I would compliment her on her clothes and she would tell me the other lady had found her items (often with tags) at sales. We are certainly a nation of excess in so many ways. This is certainly a reminder to be thankful---but we should do that every day not just once per year.

Karen: Thinking of you and your mom. It is so difficult to see our loves ones ill and dealing with issues.

Twinny" Thinking of you also. Hope your mom continues to do well on her schedule.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT--Sunday

Linda--QVC and others are certainly into gifting right now. What amazes me are the items that show up at this time of the year that are rarely seen at other times. If it is such a great item, then why isn't it offered at other times?

We are a nation of excess. I can look around and testify to that personally. One of my goals for this week off is to discover some items for Good Will. Today, however, I am still feeling very tired but I will do some things but not on full steam ahead.

Thanks for the comments regarding my niece. Time will tell but she certainly has had a struggle. She is not alone as many people are facing trials during this week.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Regular Contributor

Good Morning, Ladies!!! LindaR, thank you for the thoughts and prayers. DD and I have been purging our clothing, bags and shoes, as we decided we have way too much. We did find an online consignment shop and have made a bit of money, which has made it easier to let things go.

Jean, praying for your niece...so many are struggling and facing challenges, it can be difficult to stay strong. Good luck with your week long purge...I've found that I accomplish more with a slow and steady approach.

Twinny, thinking of you and your mom...hang in there.

Well, my mom was taken to the ER yesterday. She has an infection, so will be in for a bit with IV antibiotics. Hopefully, the doctors will get to the bottom of her issue. Off to get some stuff done around the house, then off to the hospital. Enjoy!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Karen--So sorry that your mother has developed an infection. There is always something to deal with, especially during the holidays. Like you, I've been doing some odds and ends around the house, but am now taking a break.

After reviewing my supply of WEN, I decided to order the December TSV in the seasonal selection. Now, to have a cup of coffee and then back to the house...baby steps!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone, I hope you don't mind me joining in for a chat. I couldn't help but chuckle at kittyfan's mention of items at the thrift store. I spent last week trying on my clothes and purging the ones I will no longer wear. Anything that was faded, pilled, stained, etc. went into the trash pile. Everything that went into the donate pile was in great condition. Most just don't fit correctly.

Now I need to be picky about what I purchase. Even after the purging, I still have a lot of clothes. You're right that we tend to be a nation of excess. And yes, I've been a bit of a shopaholic.

P.S. - I live in California and we sure could use some of your rain!

Esteemed Contributor

Cerb, please feel free to join us and post at any time. I agree about the need to check items and donate only those worthy of being worn or used again. It is amazing how much time some donation centers have to spend getting rid of other people's trash given in the guise of a donation. If an electrical gadget won't work for me any longer, then it will not be used but it is amazing how many people get rid of gadgets that no longer work, stained clothes, etc. People may want items at a less expensive price but they also take pride in themselves.

You have had it rough in California. Hopefully, you will get rain soon. My last trip of a few days to California was when I went to San Diego in early April. It was cold compared to our temperatures. I remember us driving east and we stopped at some outlet center and bought a coat. Since that time, our April temperatures have increasingly become below normal.

Esteemed Contributor

For anyone in a Vera Bradley mood, there is a nice 75% off sale at the VB website. I just checked it out but am resisting.

Respected Contributor

Jean...I lurk here..post with linda l on another thread. I have to say that I admire all the subbing you do...I am a retired middle school principal and worked in very difficult inner city ones. Good subs, which were few and far between were a gift. Kudos to you.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon! Thanks for getting us started LindaR. Interesting experiences at the thrift shop. I am sorry the thrift stores get items that are stained, etc., and really should be thrown out. I am pretty conciencious about what I donate, but one of my friends told me that our thrift shop has the same problem. Also, people bring in clothes without washing them. I might not do a great ironing job, but the items need to be clean before donation. Hope the rain doesn't cause you too many problems, and you enjoyed services today.

I continue to pray for your niece and those of you who love her Jean. I know she is a fighter, but she has certainly been through a lot. I'm working on getting rid of my excess and not adding to it, but I am certainly a work in progress. I found lots of DH's clothes in the storage room, and he was surprised he didn't remember them. He has no need for sweaters or sweatpants. But, he decided to get rid of three pairs of shoes and a pair of slippers. I think he could use some new shoes. I was happy that I had remembered most of what I had there, and I brought home things to remind me not to purchase extras. I agree with Barbara -- those kids are lucky to have you as a sub.

Sorry your Mom is back in the hospital Karen. Hope she gets better soon. Good idea for you and your DD to thin out the excess.

Welcome cerb. Please feel free to post any time. Hope CA gets some much-needed rain soon. I live in southern Arizona, and it is pretty dry here as well.

I had a rough night -- stomach pains, etc., and this morning my back was really hurting. DH and I took our walk okay (but late), and then I went to church. But, my back was bothering me a lot, so I'm in the bed with a heating pad now. It feels very good. I decided the gym wasn't a good idea for today.

The plumber came yesterday, and said that an outdoor pipe should be replaced. He will be going away for a couple of weeks, but he should be able to the work when he returns. His estimate is $500, and it could be much more depending on the pipes under the floor. I'm certainly not happy about this development, but....

Waves to Kathleen (having fun in Vegas), Arlene, twinny, Susan, Marijane, Gayle, Rosa, Val, Nancy, Kelli, Sonya, and all of our posters and readers.

Have a nice evening!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda R, It rained all day yesterday & most of today. Tomorrow we are supposed to get 2"-4" of snow & then cold weather for the rest of the week. I never went to a garage sale etc. until we got our first DGC. Then I would buy mostly toys & some nice baby clothes as our DD brought him each week for the entire day. He was 6 months old when I was diagnosed with CIDP & now he is almost 14. Our other DGS is almost 12 & our DGD is almost 10. what fun they all are.

Jean, Prayers are continuing for your niece & her SO. Yes we are a nation of plenty. I like to declutter. It makes me feel good & I like to see what I actually do have in my closet.

Karen, prayers for your mom too. Hopefully the infection will get better soon. Hospital visits are no fun either so I hope you are able to take care of yourself during these trying times.

Cerb, Welcome to our nice little forum of great ladies. Hopefully you will get some of the rain we are getting right now.

Sydsgma, It is nice bering retired isn't it? Our DS & DD always loved school & it was mostly because of the nice teachers & principals they had. Kudos to you too!

After church services today, we had our annual Thanksgiving dinner with our church family. So much great food & a wonderful variety. Afterwards we do praises. Our church is very small, but lots of us have very serious issues we are dealing with. The praises were so nice as we all know that we are in the hand of the Lord. My DH was giving praise that I am doing so well this year. It is not easy living with a chronic medical condition & the past 8 weeks have been very tiring for me especially dealing with my mom's eye issues.

We have had 3 or 4 new couples & numerous children joining us in church for a couple of months. Our Pastor asked me to tell them just what I have. I am a pretty private person, so it isn't always easy discussing my medical problems in front of people. I was totally unprepared to say anything, so I hope I did a good job. They all gave me a hug & said they are always glad to pray for me when I get my infusions. People tell me that I look so "normal." I take that as a complement.

It is raining hard right now. DH is watching the Packers game. I am just relaxing & taking it easy for the rest of the day.

Hugs to all of you.