Contributor

Need ideas of what to wear when the dress code is "dressy casual"??

I am attending an 80th birthday party for my aunt at the local Country Club the Friday night after Thanksgiving. Cocktails, Dinner and then a live band for dancing. I have no idea what to wear? I understand the dress code of formal and dressy and casual but I have NO clue what is considered "dressy casual". HELP PLEASE!!

Super Contributor

Re: Need ideas of what to wear when the dress code is ""dressy casual""??

I guess it depends on where you live ... but according to general online definition:

For women, dressy casual usually includes a dress, or a blouse and skirt or dressy slacks. Men's dressy casual attire can include a sport coat, button-down shirt, and trousers.

Respected Contributor

Is that like sloppy neat?

Honored Contributor

A skirt and a cardigan sweater.

Trusted Contributor

A skirt & a cardigan for a party? Black pants and a slightly sparkly sweater would be nice.
Honored Contributor

On 11/21/2014 NYCMarian said: A skirt & a cardigan for a party? Black pants and a slightly sparkly sweater would be nice.

Sparkly sweaters are not really "in" at all where I live, and certainly not if someone indicated "casual." And I always err on the side of not being the one dressed in a flashy manner.

Frequent Contributor

Friday evening, after Thanksgiving, is the start of the Christmas Holidays. I would think black slacks, heels and a pretty blouse with some sparkles or fantastic jewelry would be appropriate.

Contributor

On 11/21/2014 Kathleen said:

I guess it depends on where you live ... but according to general online definition:

For women, dressy casual usually includes a dress, or a blouse and skirt or dressy slacks. Men's dressy casual attire can include a sport coat, button-down shirt, and trousers.

I looked at the definition but it seems to cover so much. I was thinking about black skinny pants inside of boots, silky white longer top, faux fur or faux leather vest with silver jewelry.I found a really cute faux leather vest at Steinmart for $39. I want to be able to dance and be comfortable and I am not comfortable in a skirt or dress. But I am wondering if the skinny pants inside of boots is considered too casual??

Trusted Contributor

Slackss with a nice top or sweater -- maybe with a splash of tasteful embellishment and some special occasion jewelry. There's a lot of latitude in "dressy casual", so interpret it in a way that makes you comfortable and happy and don't stress.

Super Contributor

To me, dressy casual is party clothes that are not as over-the-top as formal evening gowns. So something pretty, like a skirt or flowy pants, with a bit of glam.