Frequent Contributor

Has anyone had a faux leather jacket altered...successfully?

I purchased a Dennis Basso faux leather jacket. I love it, but realized it really ought to be more fitted than it is. Can a faux leather be altered? I do have a good alterations woman, but thought I'd ask here first to see if it's worth taking to her. Otherwise, I'm well passed the 30 day mark and will have to try to sell on ebay. Smiley Sad

thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone had a faux leather jacket altered...successfully?

Good luck. Not easy even finding someone that is good at working with real leather let alone cleaning it. I'm trying to get a new zipper in one of my leather dresses. I may have to send it somewhere.

Frequent Contributor

Shoot! That's what I was afraid of. I'm still going to ask her, but it's better to have my expectations set. Thanks
Esteemed Contributor

If it is doable and I doubt it you will pay a FORTUNE for such a alteration!
Frequent Contributor

You're probably right KathyPet. Smiley Sad

Super Contributor

Faux leather is a lot easier to work with than real leather. If you're wanting it taken in and not let out, it shouldn't be a problem for an experienced alterations person. It won't be cheap, mainly because it's a jacket and there's a lot of construction. It also depends on whether it's going to involve the armhole or hem and if there's any additional seams.

I would take it to your alterations lady - she's the expert and would know if she can do it or not and give you a quote.