Occasional Contributor

I'm 5'2", nearing 70 yrs. old and wear XL or 1X. Just not sure which jean leg style is most flattering. Awhile back, the hosts all said that bootcut were good for everyone, but as short as I am, I feel totally silly in them (and reminds me of the bell bottoms I wore in the 70's). I wear straight leg most of the time, but have bought some tapered legs (not really leggings or skinny jeans) and like them. Ideas?

Honored Contributor

Re: What style leg in jeans?

What is your height?

Super Contributor

I'm a couple of years older than you. And, a few inches taller. I think the style depends on your body shape. We all can't wear every style - no matter what the "experts" say. You need to try them on and see how you look, and how you feel about how you look.

I have a narrow body (no hips/thighs/waist)... so bootcut pants look really awful on me. Tried them ... didn't like them ... gave them to my curvier sister.

I only wear wide or trouser leg, or narrow/straight leg. That's the look I prefer.

Esteemed Contributor

Your confidence level helps whatever you wear look better. Even if you look great in bootcut, your mental perception that they are 70's bellbottoms will reflect in how you carry yourself, and tarnish your appearance. Listen to YOUR mirror ... not the experts.

Most women who are said to be able to wear a burlap sack and look good -- give off that impression because they believe in what they walk out of the house in. I know some older women who are plus size, and they rock short dresses and skinny jeans better than size 2s, who are half their age due to their confidence.

Honored Contributor

A little older, a very little smaller (just regained to a L{#emotions_dlg.scared}), same height, and also just dug out an old pair of jeans - boot cut. If I were buying new, I'd look for a straight leg, trouser leg, whatever they want to call it.

Straights are always my favorite although I do remember wearing these bootcuts very confidently before and intend to do that for a few weeks now - in hopes that I get control of my portion size again and get back into jeans hanging in my closet. I own enough jeans to start a store and would rather buy new bottoms in other fabrics right now.

Esteemed Contributor

I believe that a straight leg would be best for you.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

Straight leg and a slight boot cut.

Honored Contributor

On 9/27/2014 twopeas said:

I believe that a straight leg would be best for you.

I agree.

Honored Contributor

I used to be 5'4", but now I am 5'2". I always wore and still wear Levis. I have never worn boot cuts. I look horrible in them. I have long legs for my height, and straight legs and even very tapered to the ankle jeans look best on me. I also have a couple of pair of jeggings. And I still wear my boots, but only the ones with the lower heels. I can't wear my cowboy boots anymore and that hurts.

I do admit I did wear bell bottoms in the 60s, but only the summer ones. I still wore jeans in the winter.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

I'm you height and close to your age. Size-wise we differ though (usually sm or 4, 6 0r 8). I think you should go by your body type which you didn't mention. Having small hips and a large waist (kinda an inverted triangle shape body), I live-in skinny jeans. I'll wear straight-leg in dress pants. If I were pear-shaped, I'd wear straight or trouser legged pants/jeans. IMHO, we're too old and short for bellbottoms or flares.