Honored Contributor

O/T: Are you or were you best friends with your mom?

My mom is almost 90 years old. She was always a good role model, a loving supporter and I love her dearly, but she has never been my best friend.

I'm thinking of Joan Rivers and her daughter Melissa, who I am praying for daily. I'm thinking of girlfriends who I know who consider their moms to be their best friends.

Are you or were you best friends with your mom?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: O/T: Are you or were you best friends with your mom?

no but my daughter and I are best friends
Super Contributor

No, we're not particularly close.

Honored Contributor

My mom and I were very close, We spent a lot of time together, we had fun together. She was many things but not my best friend, she was so much more than a best friend. I have had and will have many best friends in my life. I only had one mother.
Super Contributor

Loved and took care of my mom for 10 years before she passed away, but she was always my mom, not my friend...even though I knew I could always count on her to be there for me.

I'm wondering what the definition is of "best friend" when people refer to one of their kids as their "best friend"...to me,my best friend is one I share all kinds of personal confidences with - things I would have NEVER told my mom!!!

Esteemed Contributor

No. My mom was my mom. I was her daughter. I think it's fairly rare for mothers and daughters to be "best friends." That doesn't imply that the mother-daughter relationship is in any way "less" .....in fact, quite the opposite is true - in my opinion.
Trusted Contributor

Yes, she was my beloved mother. We talked every single day. I was an only child. Watching Melissa my heart goes out to her, especially after what I went through with my own parents.

Do the math.
Esteemed Contributor

She wasn't really friends to any of us!

Trusted Contributor

I'm very close to my mother. We're good friends. That being said, she was here week before last for a visit and proved that even after all these years, she can still push my buttons!

Super Contributor

On 8/31/2014 chrystaltree said: My mom and I were very close, We spent a lot of time together, we had fun together. She was many things but not my best friend, she was so much more than a best friend. I have had and will have many best friends in my life. I only had one mother.

Never heard it stated better than this. It's a bond that can never exist between friends.