Contributor

What is Susan's obsession with turtlenecks ?

I wish I had dollar for each time Susan mentions wearing an item " over a turtleneck." Maybe wearing a jacket over one, but a blouse or a liquid knit top or a dress ? Does anyone still do that ? Does anyone still even wear turtlenecks ?

Respected Contributor

Re: What is Susan's obsession with turtlenecks ?

Yes, I do still wear turtlenecks and yes, I do wear them under blouses, sweaters, jackets just about everything. Susan is not the only one to talk about turtlenecks either. Louis Dell'Olio also suggests turtlenecks frequently and he's as credentialed a designer there is.

Trusted Contributor

I love turtlenecks -- especially fine-gauge mock turtlenecks -- in chilly weather. They are warm, fill in a neckline, add color and/or contrast to an outfit, hide some of the "stuff" mature women may have going on under their chins -- and thin, non-bulky versions can be layered under coats, jackets, cardigans, shirts, and many types of garments. Love them!

Respected Contributor

It's QVC's obsession! Everything looks good with a turtle neck according to QVC.
"Wear it with a turtle neck"..... Jewelry is always touted, wear it with a turtle neck!

I don't know any woman, besides QVC that loves turtle necks. Personally I don't like them. They seem very dated to me. I find wearing them too confining, frumpy and hot!

Trusted Contributor

Funny. I just got the Fall preview issue of Style, and there are turtlenecks all over it! A good turtleneck is a fall/winter classic. Nothing frumpy about it. And the right jewelry does look great with a t-neck.

Certainly, if you don't care for them, wear something else. But I'm a woman who likes turtlenecks as much as Susan Graver or anyone else on QVC who is touting them -- assuming the turtleneck is well chosen and combined flatteringly with other clothing pieces and accessories, of course. As I said above, I usually choose a fine-gauge mock turtleneck for layering, and I also enjoy some sweaters with a wide foldover neck that drapes down into almost a cowl. A nice design element if done well. I usually leave high turtlenecks, thick, heavy t-neck sweaters, or those that fold into thick layers on the neck to tall, thin, long-necked folks who can carry them off better than I.

Super Contributor

I love turtlenecks and probably have an obsession for them. Not everyone can pull off the look though.

Super Contributor

Funny, I don't FEEL frumpy, but I enjoy turtlenecks for the already stated reasons. I like them in the fall and winter, and I have many colors. Now, I will think FRUMPY every time I put one onSmiley Sad
Super Contributor

On 8/31/2014 HappyAndIKnowIt From NY said:

I love turtlenecks and probably have an obsession for them. Not everyone can pull off the look though.

This is true. I, for one, look terrible in them because I am short/thick necked. I look best in v-necks, but sometimes wish I could wear turtles in the winter. It would eliminate the need for scarves.

Valued Contributor

I love them!
Trusted Contributor

On 8/31/2014 demitra said: Funny, I don't FEEL frumpy, but I enjoy turtlenecks for the already stated reasons. I like them in the fall and winter, and I have many colors. Now, I will think FRUMPY every time I put one onSmiley Sad

Oh, don't let one poster's comment discourage you from wearing and enjoying something you love! If they're well chosen, well cut for you, and in colors that become you, they're flattering, not frumpy! I like them too and will be wearing them this year as I do every year.