Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, 8/31)

Good morning, shopping friends! It is a lazy Sunday and Midnight has the right idea; he went back to bed. I didn't sleep well last night because of leg pain for some reason but life goes on.

I'm currently watching them pitch the new Keurig which takes a new style K-cup for use with the Carafe. Me thinks they are waking up to the reality many like more than just 4 ounces of coffee for a jump start to the day. I'll be switching over to some streaming from Amazon Prime.

I did lay out some of the clothes I will be taking with me on the trip. My first priority, however, is getting my carryon packed with the essentials....meds, electronics and a change of clothing. Today, I need to notify my card companies that I will be traveling out of the usual region of use. I do have all my confirmations printed out. I also have to go and pick up my meds as the drugstore notified me they were ready.

Other than getting ready for the trip, this weekend will be a lazy one and hopefully getting some rest before I undergo the ordeal of 24 hours of no sleep between getting up for the trip and condo arrival.

Have a great holiday weekend. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Regular Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, 8/31)

Hi Ladies!!! Jean, thanks for starting us. Sorry about the lack of sleep, I'm with you as I haven't been sleeping well at all. Glad you enjoyed your trip to the city yesterday...I haven't been to Outback in a while as the one near us is so crowded all the time. I do enjoy the food there, though. I'm considering re-framing one pair of my new glasses. I have been in for about 6 adjustments, and they are still uncomfortable. Since I wear them all the time, and they were so expensive, I'm going back on Tuesday to see what can be done.

I've been busy emptying out the basement...the new flooring starts Tuesday. It will be a long week, but we're looking forward to the finished product.

Better get moving...enjoy the day!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Karen--I do hope you get the problem with the glasses resolved. They are so expensive that it pays to be satisfied and not just accept less than what you want. I was looking at the frames by Prada, etc. and couldn't see that they looked or fit any better than my $199 frames which I thought was extreme but they are made of a good material, etc. Good job on emptying out the basement. It will be a long week but you will enjoy it when the flooring project is done.

I'm watching "True Blood" streamed from Amazon Prime. I have my carryon out; now, I just have to get the essentials in it and that includes snacks for the long flight segments. I'll likely not be hungry but it does kill time to munch. I'm in the process of charging my Galaxy Tab 2 which also has movies on it just in case I don't like what is available. That reminds me to tuck in my Halo just in case I need it.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning! Thanks for getting us started Jean. Sorry about your lack of sleep. I had some trouble sleeping last night as well, but it wasn't too bad. Sounds like you have a good plan for getting ready for your trip. And, how exciting that the trip is practically here. I was laughing at the new Keurig myself. I can't see the advantage of it over an old fashioned coffee maker. Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought Keurigs whole reason for being was that you could make one cup rather than making a pot of coffee or tea. There may be some advantages that I'm missing, however since I haven't really looked at the product.

Glad you were able to order new eyeglass frames, and I hope you can do so as well Karen. I can't imagine having six adjustments, but part of that is that I am too lazy to go in and have the glasses adjusted. My "new" glasses are still not that comfortable.

Sorry you have had problems sleeping as well Karen. I certainly can relate to having the disruption of new flooring, but I'm sure the results will be worth it.

It did reach 100 degrees plus yesterday, and we are expecting high temperatures for the next several days. I certain did enjoy the pool yesterday afternoon -- saw quite a few of my friends there. The water was pretty warm, but..... DH and I had a nice walk this morning, and I plan to go to the gym after church.

Nothing else to report from here.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, Marijane, LindaR, Susan, Rosa, twinny, Sonya, Nancy, Val, Jules, Kathy, and all of our posters and readers.

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--You and I think somewhat alike when it comes to the new Keurig. I think it is easy to make several cups of coffee using the traditional coffee maker. I can put the coffee on, make a run to the bathroom and return in time for a cup of coffee in the same amount of time it took me to brew one cup with the Keurig. I get my cup and let the rest drip until finished. It doesn't take long. Don't want several cups; just make what is needed! It doesn't require a Keurig. It is my understanding that these were developed for businesses which might make an occasional cup of coffee available to customers as needed. Glad you enjoyed the pool in your warm temperatures, and that you and DH were able to go for a walk.

I've made some progress. I took a small packing cube and tucked undies, and a change of clothing in it for the carryon. Next step is to get a new one quart baggie to put my liquids in. Lunch will come first.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

It's a cloudy and overcast day with thunderstorms forecast for later. I still have homework to finish up, so it's a good day for that; I also want to make a trip to Publix, as they were out of the kibble that's on sale the other day.

This calendar contest has become a bit of a nail-biter - it ends in about an hour, and Ziggy is #11. The top 13 contestants will be on the calendar, with #1 being on the cover. I know if he doesn't win I can just have a calendar made up with his picture on it, but I'd hate to break it to him that he didn't make it - he really wants to help other animals. Almost all the entries are dogs; it would be nice to see the cats well represented.

I usually have only one cup of coffee a day, so I don't see the point in spending so much for a Keurig - and from what I've read on the food board, they don't hold up well. Not to mention those little cups are expensive! {#emotions_dlg.scared} They were also saying the new machines don't allow for unlicensed cups to be used, so one doesn't even have the option of looking for cheaper ones. I have a coffee maker I'm very happy with - it has a carafe that makes 12 cups on one side, and the other side has a tiny basket and an insulated travel mug for making one large cup, when I then pour into a regular mug.

I haven't been to The Outback in over a year; the last time I went it wasn't very good at all. I need to get over to The Olive Garden - they're having their 2-for-1 meal promotion - eat one meal in the restaurant and get another one to go; only $12.99 for both, which is cheaper than fast food. I did get my pizza yesterday - one with sausage and an Asiago cheese crust. They have a new mini size for $3 which is just right for the main meal of the day; I used to get the small, which is two meals, but it's not as good reheated.

I suppose I should get a pair of plain glasses to keep on hand in case I get an abrasion or something and can't wear my contacts. I did talk to the doctor about it last time, and I can get a basic pair, bargain pair for under $100. It's ridiculous what they charge for frames, just because they have a designer name on them! The last time I got new glasses was shortly after I got married - that''s about 25 years ago.

Hope your flooring project goes well, Karen - it'll be over with before you know it.

I guess I should get moving; last week at this time I was just getting home from Florida. (sigh) I sure wish the beach was closer - I really enjoyed seeing it again.

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Regular Contributor

Jean, designer frames are expensive, for sure. I am not hard on mine at all, so when I get a new pair, I usually replace the lenses in my old, if my Rx has changed. This last time, it didn't, so I am up to 5 pairs which I switch on and off depending on my outfit and accessories. Those packing cubes are great...was wondering how you like your Halo? I had contemplated one a couple of times, but haven't taken the plunge.

LindaL, glad you enjoyed the walk. The eyeglasses store is within walking distance...if I had to drive, I'm not sure I would have gone back so many times. Hope you get to the pool, it sure is hot in your neck of the woods.

Arlene, I do hope the week goes quickly. I know I will be happy when it is finished, but for now, I can't believe how much is in this basement. Oh well. Hope your Ziggy makes the calendar!!!

Back to work.

Esteemed Contributor

Karen--The last time I got glasses, I had the lens changed in my old frames. I decided I needed a change as these frames are old. The frames in the glasses before that were used to put my sunglass prescription in. I can still see well with that prescription as the distance vision with it is fine. What has changed is my reading vision. I got the Halo in case I would ever need it. I tried it once to see how well it worked but I've never really had a need to recharge frequently on the go like some.

Arlene--Time does pass quickly and I do know how well you enjoyed the beach. Cats are very special as are dogs, so I'm amazed more cats are not in the running. I wore contacts for around 30 years until the eye doc said I needed to switch because of an issue.

After lunch, I decided to rest and read. I just returned from getting the big suitcase out of storage. Baby steps!! I'm so tired right now that it is hard for me to get gung ho about getting ready. On the other hand, I'm never really excited before this trip as I know it is a long trip but worth it once I get there. I just wish SFO hadn't started on its runway project which required the airlines to adjust their schedules for better traffic control. This will be a long boring wait in SFO delaying our arrival in Kona about 3 hours.

I talked with my Florida niece who is recovering from the stent procedure. She sounded good and will likely go back to rehab on Tuesday to work on regaining her ability to walk. The spinal infection or whatever is improving. She wants to go home as soon as possible.

Regular Contributor

Jean, glad to hear your niece is doing better. I can't blame her for wanting to get home...will keep her in prayer.

Esteemed Contributor

Karen--Thanks so much for the prayers. She has had a very difficult year with all the various things that have happened. She told me today that she is still hopeful that she will be considered for an intestinal transplant in the future. I asked her how she spends her time as she is limited in what she can do. She basically just watches TV and sleeps. The family isn't into tablets, etc. which would be useful for her so I don't think they have considered what she could use other than the traditional TV. I may get her a tablet and load it with a variety of things she can use offline in case the family doesn't go wireless. They aren't into computers that much.