Regular Contributor

Opinions on recent Nordstrom experience

Hi I would like your input/opinions on a recent experience I just had with Nordstrom. I purchased an item at the recent Anniversary sale. It was a sale item. I received an email yesterday from them advertising a Labor Day Sale. This is something new for Nordy's - per my conversation with a store manager they are jumping on the holiday sale bandwagon like many of the other b & m stores to try and increase sales. So - I see the same item marked down even further. I called to see if they would give me a price adjustment but was told since I purchased this item already on sale at the Anniversary sale that they couldn't do this. I explained to them that this made no sense - all I had to do was re-order the same item at the Labor Day sale lower price and return the higher priced Anniversary sale purchase back to the store. They agreed it made no sense but still said they couldn't accommodate me. I had to speak to a customer service rep, then asked to get transferred to a supervisor, and then ultimately asked for the store manager. She agreed with me and went ahead and gave me the price adjustment. I am not the type of person who tries to get "something for nothing". As a business owner myself I always try to practice what I preach and treat people fairly and honestly. I don't think I was out of line pushing for the price adjustment but I did get the sense that they thought I was (even though they maintained a professional and courteous attitude). It was only 15.00 - but that wasn't the point. So my question to you guys - what seems fair to you in this instance? Thanks!
Honored Contributor

Re: Opinions on recent Nordstrom experience

You bought it at an agreed upon price. If they had raised the price since you bought it, would you think it was fair for you to pay the difference? With marketing now, you don't always get a low price guarantee. And the Anniversary sale was some time ago. . . No, I wouldn't expect a price adjustment.

Super Contributor

Do you believe you are entitled to a price adjustment every time the item's price drops?

30 days should be the limit. If your purchase falls within this time frame then you should be compensated.

For $15 you actually asked for the store manager?

Super Contributor

I'm a little surprised they gave you the runaround. Did you call the store where you shopped or the online #? I had a similar situation once for less $ than your difference and when I called there was no hesitation whatsoever - they immediately made the adjustment. They are known for their excellent customer service so even though it took a little pushing on your part I'm glad they made adjustment - hopefully if there's a next time it won't be a hassle! Hey, $15 more to spend on something else, right?! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

How many days ago was the Anniversary sale? To me, that's important because I can't imagine you, as a business owner, would expect me to call you 60 days after a purchase and say that I see you're selling an item for less than I'd paid long ago.

So -- how long ago was that first sale? Did I miss that detail in the op?

Honored Contributor

Wasn't the anniversary sale back in July?

Honored Contributor

I think the anniversary sale was in July but it's only the end of August so it might still be within 30 days.

I'm not sure how I feel. Nordstrom doesn't really seem to have a time limit on returns from what I've been told. I've heard of people returning things to them 90 days after it was purchased.

Honored Contributor

They don't have a return limit, but I think there is still an adjustment limit. If not, why would anyone ever buy anything except real emergency repairs at full price - from anyone by the way.

Respected Contributor

Not worth my time it takes to speak to THREE people just to save $15.00.

Regular Contributor

thanks for all of your responses. The 15.00 isn't an issue - it was the point behind it. And yes to whoever asked if I went to the Store Manager for just this small amount. Again - it was the principle not the dollars. HoweverI do see the other side to this as many of you pointed out. Logically there would have to be some kind of cut off for a price adjustment. Thanks for all of your feedback!