Trusted Contributor
When you send a card to someone with cancer,what do you write inside? Two of the girls I used to teach with are undrgoing treatment and I'm at a loss for words. I know the usual "prayers,etc." but looking for a little more. Thanks.
Honored Contributor

""Thinking of you at this difficult time. Let's set up a time to go out to lunch together (or whatever is convenient for you).""

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Occasional Contributor

As a cancer survivor, I enjoyed any and all cards. It was obvious that the thoughts were sincere. Making the effort to send a card always told me how much someone was thinking of me. It is a difficult and anxious time. When I received calls and cards from my former professors, I was thrilled and encouraged just knowing that I had made an impression. One told me that he knew I would ace my treatments and physical "exams" just as I had aced all of his tough assignments and "exams"! LOL

Something I really enjoyed as a single woman were the gifts of food! LOL! I had a coworker who sent a week's worth of homemade frozen dinners in individual containers and fresh baked cookies were always welcome. One of the main things I appreciated were invites out to dinner, lunch, flea markets, etc. .. anything to get out of the house and away from the hospital. Since my schedule had been so interrupted by the treatments, I had free time with nothing to do except think about my next treatment.

Hope this helps and I will keep your former students in my thoughts and prayers also!

Valued Contributor

As a cancer survivor all I can tell you is to not stress over this too much, even just sending a card conveys your thoughts to the recipient. If you're inclined to help, either with offers of lunch, food for dinner, etc., don't be shy.

If anything, a simple "thinking of you" is really sufficient.

Maria

Respected Contributor
On 8/25/2014 curlywhitedog said:

As a cancer survivor all I can tell you is to not stress over this too much, even just sending a card conveys your thoughts to the recipient. If you're inclined to help, either with offers of lunch, food for dinner, etc., don't be shy.

If anything, a simple "thinking of you" is really sufficient.

Maria

What Maria said! I know I appreciated any and all gestures...even cards that had a nice "pre-printed" message and the sender simply signed their name. Just the fact that they made the effort to let me know they were thinking of me was enough.

Trusted Contributor
Thanks,everyone. Your personal experiences were very helpful. I think I'll just go with the. "thinking of you " sentiment for now. Appreciate your time!
Respected Contributor

Personally, I wouldn't say "praying...prayers" etc., Not everyone is religious. I would simply say express your concern and say that you are thinking of this person and if they need anything to let you know....I would make hem dinner on a night that they have treatment or stick a gift cert in the card for a manicure, etc.,

Respected Contributor

""Thinking of you"". I think that sums it up.

Super Contributor

Also, a cancer survivor, a simple email, text or card with "thinking of you - call if you need anything" goes a long way.

Super Contributor

Here is what you don't do (even though I appreciated the attempt). Unless you are VERY close and in constant contact with the person and know they are of like mind, don't send them clippings about treatments. Don't send them Bible passages about death and the afterlife. Don't be morbid.

A simple line like "Just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you..." is sufficient.